• Create Account

Jump to 3D

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 buumchakalaka   Members   -  Reputation: 268

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi!

I make some 2D games with SDL, now I think that is the moment to start making games in 3D.

There are lots of options for learn 3D, but my main question is: 

I should learn OpenGL and combine it with SDL, o is better option to use any 3D engine like Unity?

I want to prepare for make games in profesional way... So, in this case, what is the best choice for avoid wasting time learning useless thinks?

Thanks you in advance!

Sponsor:

#2 __SKYe   Members   -  Reputation: 1019

2Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

If you want to learn something that alows you to make professional quality games, then:

If you're targeting Windows only (and i think XboX 360 works too), then i'd say DirectX is the way to go. Most of today's most famous games use it.

If you're targeting multiple platforms you may want to learn OpenGL. Note that OpenGL doesn't provide many tools like DirectX does, OpenGL is just a graphics API.

OpenGL i also available fr mobile platforms in the form of OpenGL ES.

If you want to make a game for various platforms including mobile then you could use Unity.

There are also open source game engine you could use, like OGRE (although OGRE is a graphics engine only), Irrlicht, etc.

Other people should tell other popular choices i don't know (or didn't remember) about.

Hope it helps.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS