• Create Account

Lost on an Idea

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 TakersRose   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am severely unhappy with the Virtual Worlds out there. They are inadequate and they are basically chat interfaces with avatars. I've tried just about every one of them that is offered. And have been dissatisfied with each one. So...When I get that dissatisfied with something. I create my own thing.

There's just one teeny tiny little problem. I'm not technically minded. So I've gotten started with some free 3D modeling software. But I'm at a loss as to how to go about creating an interactive world. I did see Open Simulator. But I don't know if that's something I can operate. And operate well. So, is there something I can do? Where do I go to see my dream become a reality (well virtual reality)? And bare in mind my budget is nil.

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9883

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I don't see a Game Design question here. I see a "how do I make my own thing" question. So I'm moving this to For Beginners (a technical forum).

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 Legendre   Members   -  Reputation: 966

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Are you talking about MMORPGs? Those require hundreds of people and millions of dollars to make.

In my humble opinion, the best way to start is to quickly make a few small games. Use Adobe Flash or Game Maker etc. I learned a lot about the game development process this way.

#4 PoliticalChaos   Members   -  Reputation: 151

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Go to college, get an education in software engineering. That's your best bet man.

#5 King Mir   Members   -  Reputation: 2000

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Making a Virtual World is not a task for a single individual. To create it in any reasonable amount of time, you need a team. That usually means you gotta pay them, which means you need a business, a startup. And with a business you need to make sure you have a marketable product. If you don't pay your team, you need to sell people, programmers, on the idea of working on your project in their spare time. That's not impossible, but it sure isn't easy. It helps if your idea is a better version of an existing product. But really, you're probably not gonna have much luck going that route.

That being said, creating a prototype that proves your idea has merit is not so demanding. A single person could make such a prototype, but no-one would use such a world, since it would be lacking in features. And for a multiplayer game or toy that makes it useless. Even for a prototype, if your idea is sufficiently different from existing product, there is a lot to learn before you get there. Basically, you'd need to learn to program.

Edited by King Mir, 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS