• Create Account

Universal OpenGL Version

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#21 blueshogun96   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1095

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Sorry if this is somewhat offtopic, but the 3 posts above mine (especially GeneralQuery's mentioning NVIDIA), reminds me of the time when I was porting some code from Direct3D8 to Direct3D9 from an older version of the NVSDK (5.21).  I was particularly interested in the bump refraction demo submitted from Japan using a proprietary texture format "NVHS".  I never found anywhere in NVIDIA's documentation that this texture format was only supported on the GeForce 3 and 4 Ti series GPUs, so I was getting upset that I couldn't get the feature to work on my 8400 GS M.  I assumed it was just a problem with my drivers, but to be sure I asked some other people to verify that it does or doesn't work on their machines. Turns out that when checking the device caps, the driver claims the texture format was supported on all NVIDIA cards, but creating the texture using that format would always fail unless your GPU was from the NV2x series.

I tried to warn NVIDIA of this driver bug, but to no avail.  It's not too relavent now since no one used that format (Q8W8V8U8 was more compatible anyway), and DirectX9 is dying slowly but surely either way.

Follow Shogun3D on the official website: http://shogun3d.net

blogger.png twitter.png tumblr_32.png facebook.png

"Yo mama so fat, she can't be frustum culled." - yoshi_lol

Sponsor:

#22 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8278

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

It may be veering off-topic, but all of this does serve to highlight one key point that is relevant to the original post.  That is: vendor shenanigans are quite widespread, and no matter which API (or which version of an API) you choose, you do still have to tread a little carefully.

Edited by mhagain, 20 March 2013 - 12:09 PM.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS