PS3 games in C++..

Started by
31 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello guys, I have a question..How do htey make PS3 games in C++, after learning for a year or less i have learned many things on computer game developing. Now the question is i know how to animate the models give controls to it, but how should i run it on ps3 for testing and the main queation is how can i code it, is there any sample, and I don't wanna use any engines

Advertisement
You can't.

You need the official tools and development kit that Sony only rents out to qualified publishers and developers.

but how do i do it if I just want to test it in pc

You can't.

You need the official tools and development kit that Sony only rents out to qualified publishers and developers.

You don't rent SDK kits btw you have to buy them, it is often the publisher that owns the kit though and then they lend it to the studio for use.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

You can't do anything Playstation related unless you rent out a development kit from Sony, as I said above.

You have a PC, you can make and test PC games.

Night, doesn't the publisher only lease them? That is what I have read all over the place.

but after finishing the pc game then if i get sony to rent my game i have to change the codes right and also how about xbox games

Sony and Microsoft only give development kits to big companies with lots of money and a resume of previous completed titles, and even then, it's not a given.

You can sell an indy game on Microsoft's Xbox Live Indy Games channel. It costs 99$ for a Creator's Club membership, and you can put up anything for sale as long as it passes a technical peer review. But I believe you have to be at least 18, so that means you have to wait 5 years, and I'm sure the service won't be around by then.

You can get a Google play developer's license for 25$ and then develop anything you want for the Google Play Store. This is one path of least resistance. Then you can develop for Android phones and tablets, and eventually, the Ouya.

You can't do anything Playstation related unless you rent out a development kit from Sony, as I said above.

You have a PC, you can make and test PC games.

Night, doesn't the publisher only lease them? That is what I have read all over the place.

No you buy them as the X360 comes with a Visual Studio license and the Sony kits cost 1800 USD a piece, however you do have to be recognised by MS or Sony as an actual developer to get them. You get more then just the devkit by buying one btw you also get access to the SDKs and Help forums.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

You don't rent SDK kits btw you have to buy them, it is often the publisher that owns the kit though and then they lend it to the studio for use.

Technically you neither rent nor buy them. You do basically "buy" them, but they remain the property of Sony/MS, and are supposed to be returned when your license for them expires or is invalidated (such as if you go bankrupt). If you actually owned them, you would see more of them on ebay.

but after finishing the pc game then if i get sony to rent my game i have to change the codes right and also how about xbox games

Yes, you have to change some of the code -- basically any part that interacts with the operating system (e.g. Windows APIs in your PC game) or the GPU (e.g. D3D/GL), or anything that you've written in assembly will have to be re-written.

...however, I hate to be a nay-sayer, but this isn't something that concerns you, because you are not a licensed Sony/MS PS3/360 developer. You have to be a large company with tens of thousands of dollars lying around to spend on licences and dev-kits in order for that to happen. You also have to have hundreds of thousands of dollards lying around when it comes to actually shipping your game (verification and printing costs)...

Making professional C++ console games on current-gen consoles is not an achievable goal for a hobbyist. Either stick with the PC, make use of one of the console hobbyist programs (like XNA), or work with older consoles via homebrew kits if you're really eager for some masochism wink.png

you can become an official ps vita developer by applying to Playstation Mobile program.

but it's not the official SDK for the big companies, it's more similar to XNA. Something for indies and small developer.

It costs 99$ per year. However, not all countries are supported yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement