• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Trying to move sprite towards mouseclick

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 mollekake   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hello.

I'm fairly new to xna/c# and i'm starting to get a grasp on the whole game mechanics.

But i'ev run into an issue.

I want my sprite to move across the screen to my desired destination.

I can almost get this to work.

what i have so far:

i click somewhere on the screen, the sprite moves towards the mouse position, BUT if i move the mouse before the sprite reaches it's location it will follow the mouse. when it reaches the location, it stops and i can move the mouse.

what i want:

click anywhere on screen, sprite moves towards position while i can freely move mouse around, even click a new position and the sprite goes to that position instead.

here is my code so far:

MouseState mouseState = Mouse.GetState();                                 //get the current mouse state 
            mousePosition = new Vector2(mouseState.X, mouseState.Y);     //get the target (the mouse cursor) 
            direction = (Vector2)mousePosition - Position;     //get the direction from arrow to cursor 
            direction.Normalize();
            Vector2 target;
            if (mouseState.LeftButton == ButtonState.Released && oldState.LeftButton == ButtonState.Pressed)
            {
                target = mousePosition;
                move = true;
            }
            target = mousePosition;  //this is the line that causes issues, but i can't remove it either.
            if (Vector2.Distance(target, Position) > 3 && move.Equals(true))
            {
                Position += direction * 5;
            }
            else
            {
                move = false;
            }

oldState = mouseState; // this reassigns the old state so that it is ready for next time

Edited by mollekake, 28 February 2013 - 03:26 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

1Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

You need to define your target vector outside the scope of the function, so each time the function gets called, target doesn't get reset. Move your declaration of "target" to the same place you defined oldState, then remove the "target = mousePosition;" line.

Also, unrelated but in your distance checking code, you can replace "move.Equals(true)" with just "move".

Edited by Flimflam, 28 February 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#3 mollekake   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Ahh, yeah, thanks! But, it still doesn't work :(

if i click somewhere the sprite keeps chasing the mouse untill it reaches the destination.

#4 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

1Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Change this line:

direction = (Vector2)mousePosition - Position;     //get the direction from arrow to cursor 

to this:

direction = target - Position;     //get the direction from arrow to cursor 

Edited by Flimflam, 28 February 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#5 mollekake   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

Aaah, yeah. Thanks! Works perfect! :D

Didn't think about the direction. Next, make it only move along the X axis, but i'll try and figure that out myself :P

#6 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

The answer is in the spoiler tag if you feel so inclined:

Spoiler

Edited by Flimflam, 28 February 2013 - 05:33 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS