• Create Account

D3D11CreateDevice failed

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#21 blueshogun96   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1106

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

If the former is true, then that's really unfortunate for the large number of indie game devs that can't afford it.

Yeah that's really disappointing.

If you're strapped for cash, you can actually buy a professional version of an older VS version such as 2008 for very cheap, but the latest version always costs a kidney!

Really?  I thought that it required you to have VS 2012 professional edition.  Maybe I didn't read it right.  In that case, I'm good because I have 2010 professional.  I got it as a gift from Microsoft about a year or two ago.

Shogun.

Follow Shogun3D on the official website: http://shogun3d.net

blogger.png twitter.png tumblr_32.png facebook.png

"Yo mama so fat, she can't be frustum culled." - yoshi_lol

Sponsor:

#22 Cthuga   Members   -  Reputation: 132

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Does Microsoft announced earlier that this kind of update would take place ? Or it was described only in update ?

In my opinion this is critical hit for game creativity ( Indie Games ) written on DirectX. That's really sad

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Geek Message Blog

The steps I take to make a dream come true:

http://geekmessage.wordpress.com

Edited by Cthuga, 08 March 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#23 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5432

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

If the former is true, then that's really unfortunate for the large number of indie game devs that can't afford it.

Yeah that's really disappointing.

If you're strapped for cash, you can actually buy a professional version of an older VS version such as 2008 for very cheap, but the latest version always costs a kidney!

Really?  I thought that it required you to have VS 2012 professional edition.  Maybe I didn't read it right.  In that case, I'm good because I have 2010 professional.  I got it as a gift from Microsoft about a year or two ago.

Shogun.

He is just referring to the price of the SKU, not the functionality of the graphics debugger.  The graphics debugger is currently only available in the Pro or better version of VS2012.

Does Microsoft announced earlier that this kind of update would take place ? Or it was described only in update ?

In my opinion this is critical hit for game creativity ( Indie Games ) written on DirectX. That's really sad

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Geek Message Blog

The steps I take to make a dream come true:

http://geekmessage.wordpress.com

There were some hints about this (there are some links in the following blog post that would indicate this was coming...) but I don't think it was fully understood just how much of a problem this is going to be.  A bunch of the MVPs (myself included) are lobbying to get the graphics debugger put into the express edition, but there is no word on if or when that might happen.  Let's keep our fingers crossed, and if you have access to someone at Microsoft, please make a comment or send an email to indicate the necessity of this update!

#24 benp444   Members   -  Reputation: 177

4Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

My solution was to uninstall the update and now everything works fine:

How to uninstall update 2670838

To uninstall update 2670838, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
  2. Click View installed updates.
  3. Click Update for Microsoft Windows (KB 2670838), and then click Uninstall.

#25 NiteLordz   Members   -  Reputation: 469

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I just uninstalled the KB "update" that killed PIX.  I was gave nSight a whirl, but it was very slow, and crashed on me continously.  Within 10 minutes of starting the uninstall, and rebooting and launching PIX, i was able to fix my pixel shader, and now i can move on.

woot woot

Code makes the man

#26 chetanjags   Members   -  Reputation: 217

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Little out of topic but don't you guys think microsoft is taking away what were the advantages (open platform, awesome tools even for indie devs, etc) of windows from windows 8 specially for gamers and game devs.

Pix is just one example , another big thing is they are closing windows platform starting from windows 8.

They are slowly becoming apple so why would we use windows anymore ?? Linux might be next big thing ?

I am not saying windows will go out of business or something but LINUX might emerge as a major platform for gamming in next few years, what do you guys think ?

My Game Development Blog : chetanjags.wordpress.com

#27 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 1155

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

off topic

Do anyone ever notice anything different on your pc after windows updates (excluding the amount of processes running increasing over the years)? cause I really dont, and thats why I gave up on them much time ago.

I just dont see any logic, you update things to fix problems or to get new content. Ppl just blindly make windows updates...what did I missed not having ever updated my windows 7 (I actually did it a few times, my boot time slowed ridiculously and that was the only difference I perceived, then I undid all the times, and gave up trying)  and now being about to get windows 8? (the only single thing I can remember is having Unity displaying a message on the bottom bar saying some win updates where missing..Unity runs on my pc just like it runs at work)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS