• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Change 2nd Monitor Display Setting to Duplicate

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 gretty   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hello

I am attempting to programatically make the 2nd Monitor have a duplicate display. My function below should change the 2nd monitors display to 'duplicate display', ie, make the 2nd monitor display everything that is on the 1st/Primary monitor.

My Problem: When I run my function it successfully finds the 2nd monitor and it changes that monitors display x coordinate to 0, ie, the left of the primary monitor screen by changing the DEVMODE dmPosition.x property. Both of my 2 monitors refresh themselves(they go black then reshow their screen) but the 2nd monitor still has the extended display instead of a duplicate display.

Any ideas how I can make my 2nd Monitor have a duplicate display?

Some relevant information:  
- My 2nd monitor is a LCD TV and is connected to my laptop via HDMI  
- My function code is exacty the same as the example on this MSDN Page that describes how to attach a 2nd monitor without having to restart. I have changed LINE 30 though.  
- I am aware I can change the display on Windows 7 using one WinAPI function call but I need my program to work on Windows 2000 and up.  

// From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308216/en-gb Title: You must restart...
    BOOL TVManager::AddUnattachedDisplayDeviceToDesktop()
    {
        DWORD DispNum = 0;
        DISPLAY_DEVICE DisplayDevice;
        DEVMODE defaultMode;
        HDC hdc;
        int nWidth;
        BOOL bFoundSecondary = FALSE;

hdc    = GetDC(0);
        nWidth = GetDeviceCaps(hdc, HORZRES);
        ReleaseDC(0, hdc);

// Initialize DisplayDevice.
        ZeroMemory(&DisplayDevice, sizeof(DisplayDevice));
        DisplayDevice.cb = sizeof(DisplayDevice);

// Get display devices.
        while ((EnumDisplayDevices(NULL, DispNum, &DisplayDevice, 0)) && (bFoundSecondary == FALSE))
        {
            ZeroMemory(&defaultMode, sizeof(DEVMODE));
            defaultMode.dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE);
            if (!EnumDisplaySettings((LPTSTR)DisplayDevice.DeviceName, ENUM_REGISTRY_SETTINGS, &defaultMode)) {
                printf("1\n");
                return FALSE; // Store default failed
            }

if (!(DisplayDevice.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_PRIMARY_DEVICE)) {
                //Found the first secondary device.
                _tprintf(_T("Found the first secondary device: Name: %s, Pos: %d, Width: %d\n"), DisplayDevice.DeviceName, defaultMode.dmPosition.x, nWidth);
                bFoundSecondary              = TRUE;
                defaultMode.dmPosition.x = 0; // LINE CHANGED: ONLY CHANGE FROM MSDN'S CODE
                defaultMode.dmFields      = DM_POSITION;
                ChangeDisplaySettingsEx((LPTSTR)DisplayDevice.DeviceName, &defaultMode, NULL, CDS_NORESET|CDS_UPDATEREGISTRY, NULL);
                _tprintf(_T("Check for error: %u\n"), GetLastError()); // prints "Check for error: 0" which means no error occurred

// A second call to ChangeDisplaySettings updates the monitor.
                ChangeDisplaySettings(NULL, 0);
                _tprintf(_T("Check for error: %u\n"), GetLastError()); // prints "Check for error: 0" which means no error occurred
            }

// Reinitialize DisplayDevice.
            ZeroMemory(&DisplayDevice, sizeof(DisplayDevice));
            DisplayDevice.cb = sizeof(DisplayDevice);
            DispNum++;
        } // End while the display devices.

return TRUE;
    }

Sponsor:

#2 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Well, i've been playing around with your code in VMWare using 2 monitors, and made some progress, but could't make it work either.

First of all, this line

defaultMode.dmFields = DM_POSITION;

should be   

defaultMode.dmFields |= DM_POSITION;

Now ChangeDisplaySettingsEx return DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL instead of DISP_CHANGE_BADMODE.

I tryed 2-3 different flags combinaison and tryed it, but to no avail. At least you're a little closer now.

Yes, even MS make bugs.smile.png

Edit: Or im wrong and this isn't supported...

Edit2: Just realized that i can't find a way to do this in wmware normally, but i recall being able to do it via nvidia control panel, might be why it dosent work. I really have no idea, sorry. lol, at least i tried...

Edited by Vortez, 02 March 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#3 gretty   Members   -  Reputation: 215

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks.

According to this answer it appears I need to focus on enabling/disabling Display Drivers to toggle duplicate / extend display.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS