I'm new to the forum - hopefully you guys aren't tired of dealing with this question
I've scoured the forum for opinions on going cross-platform and it helped me narrow it down a lot. Now I'm stuck though and could really use some feedback. I'll try to be detailed with my requirements and concerns in case some of you happen to be in the same boat I'm in...
2D game development. 3D would be a nice option in the future, but not necessary right now.
- maybe WP8 in the future
Languages: Lua, C#, or C++ // I want to limit my choice to one of these so that I could have the freedom to change my mind in the future and
// move to a different engine or framework
- Fonts! Is it a pain in the butt to support different fonts?
- Localization - how tough is it to support Chinese or Japanese characters?
- Minimum file size - e.g. I hear Unity's minimum apk size on Android is somewhere between 7-20mb.
- Resolution independence - Can it handle multiple resolutions easily?
- Audio formats - are the basics supported?
- Is it easy to extend? e.g. How hard is it to drop in ads or in-app purchases for each platform?
- Bug reports - How hard is it to track down bugs that happen in a live environment?
- Cost - is it worth the price (if any) for making a 2D game?
- Community - How big and stable is the community around the product?
- Bugs - What if there's a bug in the engine? Can I fix it - is it open source? Or is the engine developer quick to fix bugs?
- Roll my own - OpenGL C++ with some custom wrapper code for each platform
Biggest worry here is supporting fonts, localization, and dealing with platform specific opengl quirks (especially on Android)
Seems great. I don't know Lua, but willing to learn. Double-Fine is using it. Community seems cool. Linux support isn't ready yet. Worried it may never support WP8 and anything related to that. Also wondering how difficult it will be to add ads and IAP with this solution.
I like C++. Lots are using cocos2d-x. Wondering how well it handles localization and multiple resolutions. Also wondering how difficult it will be to add ads and IAP with this solution.
- SDL + OpenGL
I'm wondering if rolling my own would be easier than dealing with any SDL quirks or lack of documentation.
Don't know much about this, but I like that they provide the source. Price is good. Worried community is too small and that getting help will be difficult.
Similar concerns as with BatteryTech.
We're a team of 3 and we would we want the pro licenses for iOS & Android. It's pretty much over budget for us, but I feel the need to keep it in the list since it has a thriving community of devs.
Others that I looked at, but excluded due to my concerns. No beef against any of these by the way - they all seemed pretty good:
- Corona sdk
- xamarin / monoTouch
- Lua-based: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/09/21/Battle-of-the-Lua-Game-Engines-Corona-vs-Gideros-vs-Love-vs-Moai.aspx
- cocos2d-x survey: http://www.learn-cocos2d.com/2012/11/cocos2d-developer-survey-results/
Sooo..... What do you all think?
Any feedback, opinions, ideas, whatevers would be really be appreciated. I'm going to be stuck with my choice for the rest of the year, so I'd really like to make the best decision!