• Create Account

Help Picking A Cross-platform Solution - Android / iOS

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sheado   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi All, 

I'm new to the forum - hopefully you guys aren't tired of dealing with this question cool.png

I've scoured the forum for opinions on going cross-platform and it helped me narrow it down a lot. Now I'm stuck though and could really use some feedback. I'll try to be detailed with my requirements and concerns in case some of you happen to be in the same boat I'm in...

My requirements:

2D game development. 3D would be a nice option in the future, but not necessary right now.

Platforms:

• Android 
  • iOS
  • PC
  • Mac
  • Linux
  • maybe WP8 in the future

Languages: Lua, C#, or C++    // I want to limit my choice to one of these so that I could have the freedom to change my mind in the future and

// move to a different engine or framework

Concerns:

• Fonts! Is it a pain in the butt to support different fonts?
  • Localization - how tough is it to support Chinese or Japanese characters?
  • Minimum file size - e.g. I hear Unity's minimum apk size on Android is somewhere between 7-20mb. 
  • Resolution independence - Can it handle multiple resolutions easily?
  • Audio formats - are the basics supported?
  • Is it easy to extend? e.g. How hard is it to drop in ads or in-app purchases for each platform?
  • Bug reports - How hard is it to track down bugs that happen in a live environment?
  • Cost - is it worth the price (if any) for making a 2D game?
  • Community - How big and stable is the community around the product?
  • Bugs - What if there's a bug in the engine? Can I fix it - is it open source? Or is the engine developer quick to fix bugs?

The List:

• Roll my own - OpenGL C++ with some custom wrapper code for each platform
    Biggest worry here is supporting fonts, localization, and dealing with platform specific opengl quirks (especially on Android)
  • Moai
    Seems great. I don't know Lua, but willing to learn. Double-Fine is using it. Community seems cool. Linux support isn't ready yet. Worried it may never support WP8 and anything related to that. Also wondering how difficult it will be to add ads and IAP with this solution.
    http://getmoai.com/
  • cocos2d-x
    I like C++. Lots are using cocos2d-x. Wondering how well it handles localization and multiple resolutions. Also wondering how difficult it will be to add ads and IAP with this solution.
    http://www.cocos2d-x.org
  • SDL + OpenGL
    I'm wondering if rolling my own would be easier than dealing with any SDL quirks or lack of documentation.
    libsdl.org
  • BatteryTech
    Don't know much about this, but I like that they provide the source. Price is good. Worried community is too small and that getting help will be difficult.
    batterytechsdk.com 
  • orx
    Similar concerns as with BatteryTech.
    orx-project.org
  • Unity 
    We're a team of 3 and we would we want the pro licenses for iOS & Android. It's pretty much over budget for us, but I feel the need to keep it in the list since it has a thriving community of devs.

Others that I looked at, but excluded due to my concerns. No beef against any of these by the way - they all seemed pretty good:

References:

Forum FAQ: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/mobile-console-development-r10

Engine lists:

Discussions:

Comparisons:

Sooo..... What do you all think?

Any feedback, opinions, ideas, whatevers would be really be appreciated. I'm going to be stuck with my choice for the rest of the year, so I'd really like to make the best decision! 

Sponsor:

#2 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 778

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

From the list you gave, in my opinion, the top are Unity and Marmalade. I´ve been using Unity for a long time now and it can handle most situations out of the box or with little workarounds.

• Fonts! Is it a pain in the butt to support different fonts?
  • Localization - how tough is it to support Chinese or Japanese characters?
    Never had problems with fonts but I can´t speak about those languages that I never used (Chinese/Japanese)

• Minimum file size - e.g. I hear Unity's minimum apk size on Android is somewhere between 7-20mb.
    Unity has it´s overhead as any fully featured 3D Engine would have. There are great plugins to focus on 2D development which is your case (and mine as well).

• Resolution independence - Can it handle multiple resolutions easily?
    Yes, but this is a way complex discussion.  

• Audio formats - are the basics supported?
    I´ve worked with wav and mp3.

• Is it easy to extend? e.g. How hard is it to drop in ads or in-app purchases for each platform?
    There are plenty of plugins on the asset store. I´ve used ads from Revmob which already provide a Unity plugin for their ads platform.

• Bug reports - How hard is it to track down bugs that happen in a live environment?
    It´s very easy.

• Cost - is it worth the price (if any) for making a 2D game?
    It´s not cheap, but I think it´s worthy. I have Android + iOS basic and I am planning to get the pro as soon as I recover my initial investment.

• Community - How big and stable is the community around the product?
    Very big and you can solve most of your questions at the forum or Unity Answers.

• Bugs - What if there's a bug in the engine? Can I fix it - is it open source? Or is the engine developer quick to fix bugs?
    Not sure about this one. But the updates are active and frequent.

#3 Sheado   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the detailed response CJ,

Much appreciated.

-Chad

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS