• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Article Inspiration

• You cannot reply to this topic
122 replies to this topic

#41 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1973

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Getting started guides for every major engine, game framework, and library across platforms and platform domains (i.e. desktop, mobile, possibly console)

Including:

• The major 2D frameworks and hardware abstraction layers: SDL, Allegro, SFML
  • All the 3D engines: Unity, Ogre, Irrlicht, etc.
  • All the cross-platform mobile game frameworks: Corona, cocos2d-x, Marmalade, etc.
  • All of the physics engines: Bullet, Box2d, Chipmunk, etc.

Selection guides for the above e.g. What mobile game framework is right for me? What 3d engine is right for me?

Edited by jwezorek, 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Sponsor:

#42 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5449

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

While it's a huge effort there is a ton of value in motivating game developers to give back.   We should all have the ability to take an article someone publishes here and not only vet it but comment on it and share additional ideas.

What about editing? Can members of the community edit the articles, improving their wording, grammar, and code snippets to improve overall quality? Adding additional screenshots to visually demonstrate each step?

Even if one person writes the article, and has his name on the article, the article needs to be brushed up and improved by peers, especially and things change overtime.

>>We should also know without a doubt that we're not getting ourselves into legal hot water if we use the published code in commercial applications.

Will you have a standard code license available? (Preferably something like MIT, Boost License, or public domain)

License options right now include MIT, Z-Lib, Microsoft Public License, LGPLv3, Public Domain, as well as our own which is currently in draft form:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/gdnethelp/gamedevnet-open-license-draft-1-r2956

The purpose of our own license is to allow free use of the source in commercial applications, allow redistribution of the source as part of a larger work as long as the author of that code is not misrepresented, and that the article itself that accompanies the source may only be copied and republished with permission from the author.  The point is to license both the article AND the source a bit differently.   This will be our default license for articles but others will be available.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 05 March 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#43 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5449

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

It just occurred to me. What ever happened to the OGL site that was (or still is) hosted on GD.Net. Is anyone updating that? Or is it dead and buried?

nehe.gamedev.net?

#44 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1522

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

I'd like to see decent indepth HLSL guide. All those semantics like SV_Target, POSITION, COLOR0 are really confusing to beginner. Also register usage and other advanced HLSL semantics explanation article would be cool.

#45 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

It just occurred to me. What ever happened to the OGL site that was (or still is) hosted on GD.Net. Is anyone updating that? Or is it dead and buried?

nehe.gamedev.net?

Yes! That's the one! Is that part of the current plan? Will it be rewritten? Is it dead? Or is it there for legacy purposes?

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 06 March 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#46 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

skimmed...

saw no mention of scripting languages.

for example: Lua, Python, Squirrel, JavaScript, ...

like in the sense of the C or C++ with a scripting language on-top development model (or pros/cons of using a scripting language vs doing straight C and/or C++).

some of us have our own scripting languages, but design/implementation of scripting languages may well be pushing it (and at least in my case, it is debatable if it was really strictly "worth it" from a time/effort/opportunity-cost POV, but alas at least it was interesting...).

#47 Tarika   Members   -  Reputation: 481

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I often see a lot of people struggling with scalars when it comes to texture sampling etc... so maybe that would be a good candidate to add to the mathematical topics already suggested.

Also on a general note maybe a topic on how texture sampling works, and a run down on what various methods there.

Aimee

We are now on Tumblr, so please come and check out our site! 

http://xpod-games.com

#48 Zipster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 875

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Since I've been working on GUI pretty extensively lately: IMGUI vs RMGUI.

Also, considering that Scaleform has become (or is quickly becoming) the standard UI middleware solution for many AAA games, an article or two on Flash and ActionScript with a focus on UI development would probably be helpful, or at the very least quite valuable to studios that need Scaleform UI developers. Obviously you couldn't discuss any proprietary information, but most of the learning curve to Scaleform is Flash itself.

#49 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4754

2Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'd love to write something... in a few years... when I'll know what I'm actually talking about.

I think the point is that "they don't care". Just write an article about something game dev related. You don't have to be an expert. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be finished and run.

Hmm... I'll see if I find something to write about :D Thing is... winter (uni classes) is coming.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#50 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4754

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

nehe.gamedev.net?

Yes! That's the one! Is that part of the current plan? Will it be rewritten? Is it dead? Or is it there for legacy purposes?

It deals mostly with legacy OpenGL.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

#51 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'd love to write something... in a few years... when I'll know what I'm actually talking about.

I think the point is that "they don't care". Just write an article about something game dev related. You don't have to be an expert. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be finished and run.

Hmm... I'll see if I find something to write about biggrin.pngThing is... winter (uni classes) is coming.

Well first.... wouldn't it be Spring classes? Second, think of it as a really fun dissertation or class project :D It could be something as simple as a 3 part beginner intro tutorial:

1. how to setup a window in SDL 2.0/SFML 2.0/Allegro 5
  2. how to get ONE graphic in the window
  3. how to get the graphic to move
  4. how to setup the input
  5. how to setup the input to move the graphic
  6. how to setup the sound and music
  7. how to loop music and associate sound effects to input actions (ex: walk, shoot, jump)

In case, you think I can't count. There's 3 main parts: graphics, input, and sound :D

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#52 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4754

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hmm... I'll see if I find something to write about biggrin.pngThing is... winter (uni classes) is coming.

Well first.... wouldn't it be Spring classes? Second, think of it as a really fun dissertation or class project biggrin.png It could be something as simple as a 3 part beginner intro tutorial:

1. how to setup a window in SDL 2.0/SFML 2.0/Allegro 5
  2. how to get ONE graphic in the window
  3. how to get the graphic to move
  4. how to setup the input
  5. how to setup the input to move the graphic
  6. how to setup the sound and music
  7. how to loop music and associate sound effects to input actions (ex: walk, shoot, jump)

In case, you think I can't count. There's 3 main parts: graphics, input, and sound biggrin.png

Well, here it would be Autumn classes :D And then yeah, winter would be coming.

Anyway, yeah, I'd guess that making an article about a high level library shouldn't be much of an issue. But, I don't know about such libraries. I only know basic OpenGL (and basic Java programming), and the first 3 points would basically require me to write informed explanations of buffers objects, pointers, vertices  a bit of algebra (vectors, systems of linear equations, ie matrices, transformations, etc), OpenGL state based system, the binding mechanism, contexts, profiles (core, compatibility, etc), vertex shaders (GLSL!), fragment shaders (moar GLSL!), and a big, BIG etc. Many, many things, there are few online resources that cover all of that.

I have some knowledge of all that, but in this sort of thing, accuracy in the information matters a lot. If you asked me "how a fragment gets converted to a pixel?" right know, I'd probably have some idea but it would have inaccuracies.

I don't want to explain stuff that I don't know throughout myself, lest I end up doing stuff like many of those "videogame tutorials" videos in Youtube. Informing is a commitment to be properly informed yourself and give proper information to others.

#53 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well.... it was just an example. :) 

Spoiler

#54 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5449

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

nehe.gamedev.net?

We don't operate nehe.gamedev.net so it's not entirely up to us.

#55 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

2Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

I haven't seen this one, but it would be cool to have some articles exploring different program architectures for different games. Specifically, component based architectures. And here's a thread that provided some healthy discussion, in case that spawns any ideas. Given that 6 people followed that thread, I'm going to guess others would be interested in such an article.

SSAO. The current lighting list is short.

Shadows. I didn't see this anywhere.

Functional programming. Just doing some basic functional programming (in any functional language) can really help to "think outside the box" when it comes to programming in an imperative language.

UI Design/User Experience. There are good HUDs, and then there are bad HUDs. There are good menus, and there are bad menus. Programmers often design for programmers instead of players, and as such produce "bad" UIs and user experiences.

I can't think of anything else right now...

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#56 CRFaithMusic   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1042

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Audio:

Software

Mixing

Getting the 'right' sound

SFX

Electro Basics

Orchestral Basics

#57 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

@Caleb how can you ask that on a game dev forum? Pretty much all of us here are programmers,and yes there are artists too.But it's kinda hard to ask how to write the script for your game,and to ask how to create music...that's close to impossible.

If you want a game programmer to teach you how to create soundtracks,then I have news for you: no one is gonna use your soundtracks.

And I don't see why we should have sdl/sfml tutorials like: setting up a window.The web is full of such tutorials.If someone really wants to help,creating a small game with those would be more useful.

#58 CRFaithMusic   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1042

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

@Caleb how can you ask that on a game dev forum? Pretty much all of us here are programmers,and yes there are artists too.But it's kinda hard to ask how to write the script for your game,and to ask how to create music...that's close to impossible.

If you want a game programmer to teach you how to create soundtracks,then I have news for you: no one is gonna use your soundtracks.

Sorry if I misunderstood but I thought this was a tutorial for the complete process of game development? :) I saw this advertised above the Music and Sound forum part of Gamedev.net.

You can't have a game with no audio... and I didn't mean for programmers to write the part on audio, why not get several audio guys (or gals) to help out?

#59 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20961

3Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

@noatom: Music and Sound forum

GameDev.net has been trying to cater to other professions involved in game development beyond just us coders - having a few decent articles might encourage that.

I agree that having yet another "How to create a SDL window" would be a waste of effort, and that the focus should be (at least at first) on topics that can't be found anywhere else with any degree of quality. I also think they should be as language-neutral as possible.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#60 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

1Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

GameDev has long been made up of mostly programmers, but if you talk to the staff you'll see that that's something they'd like to change. The goal of GameDev is to encompass all of game development, from programming to graphics to art to music etc. One of the big pushes with these articles will be (I imagine) to write articles to attract non-programmers (artists and musicians particularly) to this site to help build a complete game development community.

And I don't see why we should have sdl/sfml tutorials like: setting up a window.The web is full of such tutorials.If someone really wants to help,creating a small game with those would be more useful.

I have to agree with this. SFML has its own tutorials; it would be a complete waste of time trying to duplicate them.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

PARTNERS