• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Article Inspiration

• You cannot reply to this topic
122 replies to this topic

#81 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1643

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

There should be an article about the various languages, why to use each one, and how to get started with it.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Sponsor:

#82 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

2Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

There should be an article about the various languages, why to use each one, and how to get started with it.

There really shouldn't. The series is about games, not programming. Yes, it might include programming topics here and there, but it wouldn't teach you C or Java or something. I can see an engine's scripting language being presented, but not programming languages.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#83 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just saw the first articles and I don't know what to say.One is in flash,one in c# with xna...i mean if we do it like this,what's the point?!

#84 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1901

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I just saw the first articles and I don't know what to say.One is in flash,one in c# with xna...i mean if we do it like this,what's the point?!

Do it like what? What's wrong with Flash and C#?

Actually to me, the 2D animation one seemed a little light and maybe would have worked better as a journal entry. Are articles, then, not supposed to  necessarily be more comprehensive than your average useful  blog post on a programming blog? I was thinking, basically, that articles would have kind of a minimum "page" count.

Edited by jwezorek, 12 March 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#85 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

i'm trying to say that for someone who wants to use c++ those tutorials are useless

#86 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1901

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

i'm trying to say that for someone who wants to use c++ those tutorials are useless

Well, they're also useless if someone is trying to learn motorcycle maintenance or origami.

But seriously I'm sure eventually there will be some C++ tutorials.

#87 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5433

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

It just takes time and pressure..  it's a classic line from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" used to describe how a prisoner could dig his way out of a prison using nothing but a small rock hammer.   This seemingly impossible task is going to start one article at a time.   We're going to organize and reorganize I'm sure.

I know I took the plunge as an author and so did Tim.   Basically I'm eating my own dog food here with this one.  And I'm going to keep writing C#/XNA articles because I'm a high school programming teacher and that's something my own students can use while also benefiting the community.   I made sure to tag the article with both C# and XNA.   Two articles means nothing in the grand scheme of things..   we need to be pushing out 10 or so a day to do a better job scratching the surface of game development.

If you want to include yourself in the "we do it like this" I'd love to see articles contributed by you as well.  =)   Are you interested in committing to write an article?

How about you too jwezorek .. you up to the task as well?  I'll add you both to the Crossbones group if you are willing.   Once your article is up you'll get a contributor banner.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 12 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#88 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5433

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Do it like what? What's wrong with Flash and C#?

Actually to me, the 2D animation one seemed a little light and maybe would have worked better as a journal entry. Are articles, then, not supposed to  necessarily be more comprehensive than your average useful  blog post on a programming blog? I was thinking, basically, that articles would have kind of a minimum "page" count.

If it serves a purpose I don't care how long it is..   we don't have to write books here for it to be useful.   =)    Someone mentioned a topic like how to do keyboard maps for a game.  I couldn't imagine that being a very long article but I know some people would love to be introduced to the concept.

I'm going to be doing my best to make filtering articles as easy as possible..

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 12 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#89 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1901

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

How about you too jwezorek .. you up to the task as well? I'll add you both to the Crossbones group if you are willing. Once your article is up you'll get a contributor banner.

I would like to write a how-to article on implementing a basic game to iOS in C++ using cocos2d-x ... but realistically I don't have the time right now (between work and implementing the game I am working on in C++ to iOS using cocos2d-x) which is why I was asking about minimum article length. I would like to do a cocos2d-x article eventually but what I could do right now would be something shorter, maybe an expanded version of one my developer journals that were featured?

Edited by jwezorek, 12 March 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#90 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5433

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

How about you too jwezorek .. you up to the task as well? I'll add you both to the Crossbones group if you are willing. Once your article is up you'll get a contributor banner.

I would like to write a how-to article on implementing a basic game to iOS in C++ using cocos2d-x ... but realistically I don't have the time right now (between work and implementing the game I am working on in C++ to iOS using cocos2d-x) which is why I was asking about minimum article length. I would like to do a cocos2d-x article eventually but what I could do right now would be something shorter, maybe an expanded version of one my developer journals that were featured?

That's absolutely fine.   Right now we're trying to create an information archive.. I'm going to work very hard on exposing the information in intelligent ways.  Just make sure that you tag it as good as you can.   I'm going to take your offer to convert a journal as a firm commitment.  ;)

And to be honest, people *need* to see that some articles can be short and others long..  I don't want us all to get caught up in the formality of it.   Your journal articles are well written and very informative.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 12 March 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#91 Bluefirehawk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1232

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

The technical side of things is diversed and I think is coming up nicely and I think many people here have a huge knowledge on all the fancy API/ Algorithms and Analysis.

I am a bit shocked about the meager "game design" section. I thought there were more people interested in this. Aaanyways, I have some suggestions for it:

• What a game is made of
  • So you want to make a new game?
  • How to dismantle your game idea
  • Why people play games
  • First 5 Minutes of your game
  • interactive story telling
  • How to Playtest
  • Core Mechanics
  • Aestetics of Play
  • Incomparables
  • Mixing genres
  • And maybe a diverse page that compares a game that did something bad, and one that did it good and why(ex Narrative in RE6 and narrative in Journey)
  • Maybe pages on genre specific stuff, there can be a whole subsection about horror games.

I am not sure if Achievements deserves a topic on its own. For me, that would also be a good topic to compare a game that implemented achievements badly and one that did it well.

Are you thinking about some kind of different "knowledge levels"? While reading through the article suggestions, there seem to be some topics that kind of are dealing with the basics while others are very advanced.

And what is that Crossbone+ stuff anyways?

E: I think the "Game Architecture" is missing some introduction topics, eg

• What is a game engine, what is it doing?
  • Overview of different Subsystems in a modern game engine

Edited by Bluefirehawk, 17 March 2013 - 05:10 AM.

Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

#92 Icebone1000   Members   -  Reputation: 1111

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Strings/Text in games. how to handle multi lingual games.

"Offline" Cut scenes - how to play video in games

Edited by Icebone1000, 17 March 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#93 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2930

1Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Programming with 3D animations would be a nice topic as well as it has to cover a few advanced topics to be readable:

• Key-frame based matrix and quaternion interpolation.
  • fixed time step animation and functions to change the way the time step is incremented (think ease-in, ease-out, bezier curve animation times)
  • Timeline management, animations can consist of multiple animations on the same object
  • Data structures for animation data and model data.

Edited by NightCreature83, 18 March 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#94 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2226

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

If anybody else is willing to jump on board today with one of these topics PM me and I'll add you to this group.   If you are a member of this core group you can be part of changing our community for the better forever and helping developers all over the world.   Why crossbones?  Because pirates are cool.. and they were always outnumbered by much larger forces against them.  I figure creating this kind of change won't be easy.. so it fits.

I'm liking this idea.  I sent you a PM about joining.

#95 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4549

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Learn to make games I guess?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#96 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2930

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Learn to make games I guess?

Translating between different languages isn't that hard, nehe had this as well. Even thought the main explanation was usually for MSVC++ in the section below it though you could often find projects for other languages and compilers. You could have contributers in the group that fix this up for people so that you would have something like C++(MSVC, G++), C#, Java and Python.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#97 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4979

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Writing

Creative writing for games
Writing spoken dialogue for games
Story writing and narration

How to develop background stories for games

So... I'm looking at this this, and theoretically I'm qualified to write articles about these topics.  I don't actually see how any of these topics are something that would be beneficial to have an article about, though.  Writing game stories really isn't different than other kinds of writing, especially screenwriting and comic script writing.  There's an absolute flood of how-to-write books for beginners out there.  And IMNSHO a writer who still qualifies as a beginner has no business publishing their writing, in a game or anywhere else.  Now, interactive fiction is kind of unique to games, but it's not even on this list, nor are any of the more advanced topics in fiction writing that there's an actual lack of existing books about.

Anyway, if someone has an idea why it would be beneficial for me to write an article aimed at beginners, feel free to explain your reasoning and convince me to write it.  But currently I think articles about the above list of topics would be a waste of effort with no real audience.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#98 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2226

3Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Writing game stories really isn't different than other kinds of writing

I disagree.  I mean, by that logic, why is there a "Writing for Games" subforum at all instead of people just using one of the dozens of other creative writing forums out there?

The way a game portrays a story is much different than the way a book portrays a story.  A game has so many different things to offer to the narrative, and often consists of much less exposition-through-text than movies, and especially less than books.

The player has to actually play through the game to reveal its story, unless your game is just 100% cut-scene.  This provides challenges like keeping the player interested without bombing them with text, which usually just disinterests someone who's playing a game, because games are interactive - if someone wanted to read a lot, they'd read a book.

Games should use the tools at hand to provide their story, and not rely solely on text and linear storylines.

While a movie might portray a character's badassedness through elaborately planned stunts during a fight scene, a game might portray it through an intriguing boss fight that puts you on the edge of your seat.

While a book might explain the way something looks and leave the rest to imagination, games provide all the appearance right up front.

While a book would explain a whole fight scene, games let you carve them yourself, with the potential of making it feel all the more personal and making you feel awesome by the end of it.

I know reading about Lloyd and his group of Exsphere-wielding friends kill Abyssion on Mania difficulty in a book called "Tales of Symphonia" would be a lot less interesting for me than playing through the fight myself (and smack-talking Abyssion whenever I used Guardian before his Meteor Storm could hit me).

#99 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4979

1Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Writing game stories really isn't different than other kinds of writing

I disagree.  I mean, by that logic, why is there a "Writing for Games" subforum at all instead of people just using one of the dozens of other creative writing forums out there?

The way a game portrays a story is much different than the way a book portrays a story.  A game has so many different things to offer to the narrative, and often consists of much less exposition-through-text than movies, and especially less than books.

The player has to actually play through the game to reveal its story, unless your game is just 100% cut-scene.  This provides challenges like keeping the player interested without bombing them with text, which usually just disinterests someone who's playing a game, because games are interactive - if someone wanted to read a lot, they'd read a book.

Games should use the tools at hand to provide their story, and not rely solely on text and linear storylines.

While a movie might portray a character's badassedness through elaborately planned stunts during a fight scene, a game might portray it through an intriguing boss fight that puts you on the edge of your seat.

While a book might explain the way something looks and leave the rest to imagination, games provide all the appearance right up front.

While a book would explain a whole fight scene, games let you carve them yourself, with the potential of making it feel all the more personal and making you feel awesome by the end of it.

I know reading about Lloyd and his group of Exsphere-wielding friends kill Abyssion on Mania difficulty in a book called "Tales of Symphonia" would be a lot less interesting for me than playing through the fight myself (and smack-talking Abyssion whenever I used Guardian before his Meteor Storm could hit me).

I have to disagree with much of that.  I've played good games where a completely linear story happened completely in-between play sessions.  I think it's an option as valid as any other, and for some types of games the best option.  I've played games that have made excellent use of whole pages of text as part of the way they deliver story to the player.  Interactive stories of course have a ton of potential as a medium, but it's rare to see a game that makes good use of that potential.  I also have little interest in playing through any story that wouldn't be worth reading as a book; in my personal opinion a really ideal game story would be like a book that personalized itself to the player.  Of course different people prefer different amounts and types of story in their gaming.

As for the reason there's a writing for games forum, the original idea (ten years ago?  eleven?) was to promote higher quality stories in games - it was about the content of game stories, not anything special about the techniques used to create them.  Also because that same reputation of game writing being crap would have subjected game writers to some prejudice at an average writing forum.  The point seems irrelevant currently, though - neither here nor the big writing forums around the web have had much discussion of game writing in the past 3 years or so.  If game writers are talking to each other somewhere other than privately within game teams, I haven't stumbled over it.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#100 jwezorek   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1901

1Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but someone should do a 3D modeling tutorial specifically targeting Blender since it is free and I know from personal experience it is hard to find good material on Blender  -- actually it would take a series of tutorials.

Edited by jwezorek, 20 March 2013 - 09:45 AM.

PARTNERS