• Create Account

Article Inspiration

• You cannot reply to this topic
122 replies to this topic

#101 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

1Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

How about a chapter on LOD and other mainstream approaches to gain tradeoff in perfomance by faking or deferring items otherwise rendered at full detail/resolution, every frame or by recycling stuff used elsewhere? It's deep and could touch instancing and impostors without digging too deep.

I can see how just organizing the chapters could be a challenge...

Sponsor:

#102 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2706

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Do we already have a section for audio specific programing?

Basic glossary: Sample frequency, bit depth, aliasing, dithering, types of audio effects, distortion, delay, compression, ...etc.

List of available libraries/frameworks

DSP theory: time domain vs. frequency domain, Fourier transform, FIR/IIR filters, ...

Tutorials: Mixing sounds together, creating low/high/band pass filters, compressing audio for "increased" dynamic range

, creating echo and reverb effects

I'm not an expert in this field but have played a bit with it and had a semester in uni biggrin.png

#103 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2706

1Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I see some people are afraid that some articles might be too basic and others too special. Could we add a difficulty rating system for the articles like Level: Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced/H4xx0r!

#104 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18132

4Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

There also ought to be 'roadmaps', which are linked paths that take you from one article series to another, even if the series are made by different authors.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#105 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

There also ought to be 'roadmaps', which are linked paths that take you from one article series to another, even if the series are made by different authors.

Yes, this is one of the very best ideas on here.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#106 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2177

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

I see some people are afraid that some articles might be too basic and others too special. Could we add a difficulty rating system for the articles like Level: Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced/H4xx0r!

There is a Skill Level setting on articles with Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced as options.  It doesn't seem like the setting actually shows up when you view the article, though.

#107 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

There is a Skill Level setting on articles with Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced as options.  It doesn't seem like the setting actually shows up when you view the article, though.

Initially we're collecting the data.   Mainly we need the level added in as a tag for the article so we can match up things by tag a little easier.    We want to be able to have custom feeds based on tag.   That way we can sort of create pseudo-forums / channels that contain content that all falls under a grouping of tags.   (or you could too for that matter)

#108 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17725

2Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

So... I'm looking at this this, and theoretically I'm qualified to write articles about these topics.  I don't actually see how any of these topics are something that would be beneficial to have an article about, though.  Writing game stories really isn't different than other kinds of writing, especially screenwriting and comic script writing.  There's an absolute flood of how-to-write books for beginners out there.  And IMNSHO a writer who still qualifies as a beginner has no business publishing their writing, in a game or anywhere else.  Now, interactive fiction is kind of unique to games, but it's not even on this list, nor are any of the more advanced topics in fiction writing that there's an actual lack of existing books about.

The list is just some potential ideas, if you feel there are more advanced subjects that would be appropriate and that you're qualified to cover by all means submit an article about those instead!  I'd love to see some articles on how to approach interactive fiction or the interactive dialogue presented in some games, as well as any other advanced topics you feel aren't well covered (or covered at all) elsewhere! smile.png

To more directly answer your question about writing an article or articles covering these more basic topics, I think the benefits would be:

• Making that knowledge more readily available -- a lot of would-be writers don't know what topics they should be studying or where/how to go about doing so.  Much like the basic art article Prinz Eugn has asked for input on the topic list for, beginners might find it beneficial to read an article that briefly touched on what areas of study could be useful even if only a cursory summary was provided along with links to further learning material.  It's all well and good to suggest that only properly trained writers should be publishing their writing, but programmers/artists/lay-people are inevitably going to continue to publish their works as well, and by making those people more aware of the different techniques and resources available to them perhaps we can help them to produce higher quality work.
  • You could specifically cover subjects from a "game development" perspective.

#109 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

The list is just some potential ideas, if you feel there are more advanced subjects that would be appropriate and that you're qualified to cover by all means submit an article about those instead!  I'd love to see some articles on how to approach interactive fiction or the interactive dialogue presented in some games, as well as any other advanced topics you feel aren't well covered (or covered at all) elsewhere! smile.png

To more directly answer your question about writing an article or articles covering these more basic topics, I think the benefits would be:

• Making that knowledge more readily available -- a lot of would-be writers don't know what topics they should be studying or where/how to go about doing so.  Much like the basic art article Prinz Eugn has asked for input on the topic list for, beginners might find it beneficial to read an article that briefly touched on what areas of study could be useful even if only a cursory summary was provided along with links to further learning material.

If I made a guide that said: Step 1, go read Aristotle's Poetics, I have the sinking feeling a lot of people would stop right there.  And the Poetics is a relatively short book available free online; what if the next one they had to actually (gasp) locate a paper copy of?  I'm not opposed to writing that kind of guide, I just am afraid no one would want it.

Interactive fiction would be a really challenging topic because there are so many different kinds of interactive fiction; it's a field still being developed.  I could attempt to write about it, though I'm not sure I'd be able to cover the topic in a thorough or methodical way.

The problem with beginner writers isn't really that they need to study how to produce higher-quality fiction.  It's that they are usually teenagers with terrible taste and a not-yet-developed sense of cultural context.  There's a saying that every writer's first million words are trash that they have to spew out to clean the pipes before the real writing can come out.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#110 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

As for the reason there's a writing for games forum, the original idea (ten years ago? eleven?) was to promote higher quality stories in games - it was about the content of game stories, not anything special about the techniques used to create them. Also because that same reputation of game writing being crap would have subjected game writers to some prejudice at an average writing forum. The point seems irrelevant currently, though - neither here nor the big writing forums around the web have had much discussion of game writing in the past 3 years or so. If game writers are talking to each other somewhere other than privately within game teams, I haven't stumbled over it.

If you can't define the purpose for the forum or what discussion of game writing is, then clearly we have an issue.   The topics in that list were created through suggestions from people here and are supposed to provide inspiration.   If they don't then we need a better list, so rather than pick it apart we need to improve on it.  An article that involves game writing might involve describing how it's done on a professional basis, the formatting of documents, software specific to story-telling, etc.   People always want to know how you go from point A (start) to point B (finish).

For me, and I didn't put this up, I could see a lot of game writing articles as inspirational rather than "how to".   This might involve creating articles that present various fictional scenarios you might commonly see in games.   They might provide sample data that could be useful for writers.   I'm not a writer but I'm sure ideas on how to name things, types of currency, items/equipment to a particular era, mythical equipment, historical perspectives (using historical references to drive games.. history is filled with a lot of mythology that could inspire people), etc. might be germane to the section.   The ultimate goal is to get those creative juices flowing and get people contributing articles that would be useful for writing.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 22 March 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#111 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2706

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Better yet - How about we take this conversation regarding the specifics of writing articles and the various viewpoints out of this thread regarding the writing for games area as it is derailing it somewhat from getting ideas for articles on all matters (not just writing).

There is a thread "Article Ideas About Writing for Games" that has been begun the appropriate forum - and I would truly appreciate if the ideas expressed so far (even those by people who do not consider themselves writers) end up over in that thread where proper conversations can be had. I also urge you if for no other reason to go over there and read the first several posts that somehow taken the entire thread into an left field of oddity making it rather humurous at the moment..

#112 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

I was considering "picking it apart" to be an essential part of the process of "improving on it".  I'm enthused by the new ideas that have been suggested so far.  But yes moving further discussion to the writing forum is fine.  (I also asked for suggestions at a different writing forum I hang out at, I'll summarize the responses in the thread in the writing forum here.)

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#113 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Well I found some new functionality as an author. A bit inconspicuous, but cool nonetheless. smile.png
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#114 maxgpgpu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 279

1Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Yikes!  My browse through the messages so far indicates some serious energy and interest, and some great ideas.  In fact, too many ideas!  Well, not too many, just too disorganized.

table of contents
What someone needs to do is create a tree hierarchy of reasonable topics mentioned so far, which could be in the form of a table-of-contents.  Then people can add their requests in the appropriate place, and everyone can see the fullness of the topics without reading a zillion messages --- just imagine this thread in a few months!

-----

omit fad wars - keep ratings professional

I also have a question and request.  I don't have problems with ratings - that's a reasonable way to judge the quality and popularity of an article.  However, I have to point out one annoying problem that exists in gamedev as well as just about everywhere else.  That is the problem of ratings and commenting based upon "fads" rather than utility, quality and other values.  A huge number of people, especially close-to-newbies try to show how "in" or "hip" they are by trashing anything that doesn't conform to the current set of fads.  This just creates pointless fights.  But even worse, people with loads of experience get tired of being dumped on by fad-addicts (and "my-way-or-the-highway" types), and stop contributing.  Why should they help if their reward is being dumped upon?

So I'm a bit skeptical about a wide open rating system.  I'm not sure how to solve this problem.  I've seen a few of the moderators behave the same ways in gamedev threads, so I'm not sure leaving ratings to moderators is the solution either.  Only let authors who already contributed rate others?  Anyone have a solution for this problem?

Here are examples of what I want to avoid:

- lots of negative votes for a great article about SIMD because "assembly language is stoopid" or "outdated".

- lots of negative votes for a great article about "topic-X" because "C" or "java" or "pick-your-language" is not very popular.
  - lots of negative votes for a great article about "topic-X" because it contains OpenGL while D3D is more popular, or vice versa.

Hey, I always prefer to find that great articles formulate their examples in the programming language, shading language, graphics API, indenting-style that I adopted for my own projects.  But I never mark anyone down for their choices - that's just unprofessional, and tends to punish good folks who are simply trying to help others.

-----

editing - author has last word
I very much appreciate when someone fixes my typos or grammar, or makes my language clearer, or adds an image, figure, example.  Unfortunately, more often than not, people who edit my stackoverflow messages make them less precise, more confusing, and insert errors (which people then assume came from me).  So while I love the idea of improving and perfecting articles, I don't know the best way to achieve this in practice in a wide-open community setting such as this.  My opinion is, the original author must have final say on his article.  My favored solution is for edits to be sent to the author, who can then choose to incorporate them or not.  A tool that emphasizes changes with different color text would make this process easy for authors and editors.

-----

topic requests
Some topics I would love to see:
  - shadow maps
      - basic algorithm explained in exhaustive detail (explain everything, make no assumptions)
      - exponential shadow mapping (current state of the art - explain everything)
      - variance shadow mapping (current state of the art - explain everything)
   - compute geometric center of object (array of positions)
   - compute center of mass of objects with thin shells
   - compute center of mass of solid objects

-----

topics from me
Some topics I might contribute articles about:
  - SIMD (32-bit mode with 8 128-bit xmm registers, and 64-bit mode with 16 256-bit ymm registers and AVX/FMA/etc)
      - for matrix multiply
      - for vertex transformation
      - for simultaneous computation of any combination of 4 sines/cosines of 4 input angles
  - collision detection
      - broad phase with SAP
      - narrow phase convex with GJK
      - narrow phase concave with new technique
   - procedurally generated content
      - 3D shapes - create, assemble, articulate, automate, destroy
      - textures
      - terrain
  - triangle-triangle intersection
     - fast technique that outputs all information
     - fastest known technique (outputs true or false)

Edited by maxgpgpu, 28 March 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#115 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18132

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

editing - author has last word
I very much appreciate when someone fixes my typos or grammar, or makes my language clearer, or adds an image, figure, example.  Unfortunately, more often than not, people who edit my stackoverflow messages make them less precise, more confusing, and insert errors (which people then assume came from me).  So while I love the idea of improving and perfecting articles, I don't know the best way to achieve this in practice in a wide-open community setting such as this.  My opinion is, the original author must have final say on his article.  My favored solution is for edits to be sent to the author, who can then choose to incorporate them or not.  A tool that emphasizes changes with different color text would make this process easy for authors and editors.

I agree with authors having the last word, and some edits in freely-editable content sites do decrease the value of the content.

My problem is with authors that go MIA, and then any suggested edits never get reviewed.
I'm not proposing that anyone in the community can edit it (it's not a wiki), but rather that other authors, moderators, or high-standing community members can edit it. Sure, the author should be able to approve edits (and tweak the edits before applying them) before they are visible, but if 30 days go buy and the author neither rejects or approves the edit, it should be auto-approved (again, these edits are from other authors and moderators).

Article edits should have the whole history just like individual forum posts already do, so the author can later rollback the edit if needed.

I'm not really bothered by the whole, "Oh no! The article used it's instead of its!" type of edits (though extremely bad spelling errors can be distracting), I'm more worried about situations where the article means one thing, but accidentally says another.

A recent example of this that I came across someplace else, was an article that said, in passing, that a 64 bit int holds twice as high a number as a 32 bit integer, which is wrong - it holds way more than double. The article also had some other errors that included good advice that was poorly phrased in such a way that beginners would get the wrong idea and adopt bad practices. It's those kinds of errors that can be easily caught by a community, and suggested as edits, but that need to be corrected even if a author accidentally changed his email address over the years.

People reviewing articles should even be able to suggest edits while reviewing the article, since they're actually looking for mistakes while reviewing it.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#116 tisdadd   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I know that I am new here, but I wanted to say that this is an excellent idea.

One thing that I think would be nice would be an overview of can and can not with various common licenses. I know that they usually do a good job if you take the time to look them over... however, when searching for things the first time knowing the differences can be a great thing. (example, freesound.org has stuff that is free, but not all of it can be used in a commercial project, but some of it you don't even have to give credit for.)

I am guessing that it is covered throughout, but just in case it would also be good to have some algorithm theory in there for the analyzing of code. Why O(n) is much better than O(n^n), ect.

Although my teachers were rather strict about efficiency in college, I know with modern machines we don't always have to be... but when it comes to games or large amounts of data this will really show.

#117 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

What someone needs to do is create a tree hierarchy of reasonable topics mentioned so far, which could be in the form of a table-of-contents.  Then people can add their requests in the appropriate place, and everyone can see the fullness of the topics without reading a zillion messages --- just imagine this thread in a few months!

Is something wrong with me putting them in the first post like I'm doing now?

#118 maxgpgpu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 279

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Is something wrong with me putting them in the first post like I'm doing now?

If you're willing to scan all new messages and diligently keep that TOC up to date, then that's fine --- for now.  Eventually I assume you'll want to put the master table of contents onto the main crossbones page (that one can click any entry to visit any subsection or specific article).  Once you get the initial table-of-contents established, maybe you'll want to ask people to send you new requests and new article-offers to you via gamedev PM.

You might want to display little icons in the TOC that denote the type of each article.  I suppose many articles might qualify as "gems", "tutorials", "examples", "theoretical", "practical" and so forth.  I'm not sure the best way to organize this, however.

I'm still trying to visualize how this project will work out.  Would you say that the long term result will be something like a huge (25,000 page) book?

One request.  I would really love for every article to be available in PDF form.  Software exists to convert any document into PDF (by printing to a fake printer that is actually a PDF creator app).  So even if people prefer to create the original in other forms (.doc, .html, etc), they can also provide a PDF version.  Personally, I'd be happiest if every article is only available in PDF.  One could then create notebooks and fill them up with crossbones [and other] articles over time, and they would all be optimally formatted (under control of the authors).

Will there be some way for people to find collaborators?  I can imagine 2 or 3 authors interested in the same topic might produce a better result if they collaborate to produce a single "master" article.

Edited by maxgpgpu, 28 March 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#119 Meerkatjie   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I would be interested in how to add modding to a game as well as pitfalls to be aware of, tools that may help, reasons for and against it.

#120 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4688

1Likes

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'd like to see an article on the importance of hybrid vigor to design; why it's important to play new games, in a variety of genres not just whatever genre you want to make.  (Was horrified to see someone actually trying to argue the opposite today.)

PARTNERS