• Create Account

Check this new indie game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 BaneTrapper   Members   -  Reputation: 1121

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hello.

Just raising attention for a new indie game i found, i honestly believe it needs more attention!

Pics or it didn't happen

104_rain.png

60.png

Indie page

http://www.indiedb.com/games/pioneers

Home page

http://eigen.pri.ee/pioneers/?ref=game#download

Forums

http://eigen.pri.ee/forum/

Please try it out, and give some feadback at forums, thanks!

Edited by BaneTrapper, 04 March 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Current projects:
The Wanderer, 2d turn based rpg style game

www.gamedev.net/topic/641117-check-up-the-wanderer/

Sponsor:

#2 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 682

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

The game is maybe good, of course, but (really no offense) why 2-bit graphics (white/black/green/blue) ? Is it a recent game ? Is it a retro-style game ?

Edited by Tournicoti, 04 March 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#3 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 907

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

The game is maybe good, of course, but (really no offense) why 2-bit graphics (white/black/green/blue) ? Is it a recent game ?

Why does it matter how many bits the game is. All  that matter is whether the game is fun to play. Graphics is not the most important thing. Also there are more than 2 colors in the image, so the games is not 2 bit.

#4 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3441

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

The author actually created a thread about it here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/626656-pioneers-turn-based-survivalexploration-rpg-new-build-sep-24/

It's a very fun game.

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17310

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

2 bits = 4 colors. There are only 4 colors in it - the rest is illusions created by dithering.

The images you posted are from IndieDB which slightly blurred the image, creating more colors by accident. The game's website's images are alot sharper, and has 4 colors (a creamy white, a soft green, a grey-blue, and a off-black).

Personally, I think it looks nice. smile.png

"it's a turn based exploration game with some RPG elements where you lead a party of pioneers each with different professions, skills and attributes."

It reminds me of a mix of Oregan Trail and Dragon Warrior - I think it looks like a very cool game! I hope its actual gameplay is fun.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 04 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#6 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 682

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

@BornToCode : I didn't say it was bad to use 4 (not 2 !!) colors. I just wonder why. It makes me remember Apple II games. And nowadays, a game with 2 bit graphics is rare. But as I said in my post, the game can be good even if they use 2 bit graphics. Read carefully my post and don't make me say what I didn't, please. Thanks

Oh you quoted half of my message, this is quite unfair

PS:

My preferred games are games of GameBoy, it reminds me my childhood. And this is 2-bit graphics

Edited by Tournicoti, 04 March 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#7 BaneTrapper   Members   -  Reputation: 1121

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

The author actually created a thread about it here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/626656-pioneers-turn-based-survivalexploration-rpg-new-build-sep-24/

It's a very fun game.

Didn't find that in search, but i am just rising attention. Its totally deserved, that genre is almost dead and i love it so much.

If done right can provide very good replay values, with low amount of content.

Also the game is using 4 colors as i am aware (blue, green, yellowish white, black)

Current projects:

#8 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1508

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Wow, what a lot of fun that is.

The 2-bit style doesn't detract from it at all, it makes it feel more friendly and welcoming. The colors it uses actually changes as the game goes on, as seasons and weather change. This thing needs to hit the big time!

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#9 BaneTrapper   Members   -  Reputation: 1121

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

This thing needs to hit the big time!

Totally agreed, we need more of this kind of stuff. Except both dews got full time jobs :P

Current projects:

#10 Eigen   Members   -  Reputation: 520

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thank you for the comments and support guys! And BaneTrapper, you're really awesome for posting this here. I appreciate it smile.png

The graphics really are in a love or hate kind of style but I think it looks unique so I haven't looked back after deciding to stick with it. I didn't update the game thread for a while here and now it's become inactive. It tells me not to post anything and start a new thread since it's older than 60 days. Might do that at some point, when I have more to update or whatever.

Cheers!

#11 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4684

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hey Cornstalks (our favorite mod)! Is it a good idea to merge this thread with the original Your Announcements thread?

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 05 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#12 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 682

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

@Eigen : I hope you don't think I don't like your graphics, because I really don't!  I was just surprised, that's all ! smile.png

Edited by Tournicoti, 05 March 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS