• Create Account

Article Topics: Suggested Projects

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5179

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Here is a list of "Suggested Projects" so far.   These would be projects that beginning game developers can tackle as part of their learning experience.   It can also include more advanced game concepts as well.   The purpose of this list is to serve to inspire others with topic ideas.  

Note:  This post is an offshoot of http://www.gamedev.net/topic/639725-article-inspiration/ and is intended to allow us to focus in one one particular area.  I will add onto this list as suggestions are added.

Suggested Projects

Zero-Sum Games: How to Make Checkers

Zero-Sum Games: How to Make Chess

Zero-Sum Games: How to Make Connect Four

Zero-Sum Games: How to Make Tic-Tac-Toe

Retro Game Programming:  How to Make Snakes

Retro Game Programming:  How to Make Pong

Retro Game Programming:  How to Make Tetris

Retro Game Programming:  How to Make Pacman

Retro Game Programming:  Space Invaders

Retro Game Programming:  How to Make Asteroids

Retro Game Programming: How to Make Super Mario Bros.

Retro Game Programming: How to Make Sonic the Hedgehog

Creating an Angry-Birds Style Clone

Creating a Basic FPS (using an existing engine?  this is a pretty big topic)

What additional projects should we have in our article library?

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 04 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

2Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Retro Game Programming: How to Make Super Mario Bros.

Retro Game Programming: How to Sonic the Hedgehog

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 holocronweaver   Members   -  Reputation: 180

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

3D games: elementary first-person shooter (motivator for 3D camera control, collision detection and physics; possibly networking as well)

#4 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3465

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I actually did a pac-man clone a few days ago=-)

as for suggestions: space invaders.

perhaps an more advance concepts, such as Wallenstein/doom type of 3D style(to demonstrate old-school ray-casting techniques)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#5 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5179

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

perhaps an more advance concepts, such as Wallenstein/doom type of 3D style(to demonstrate old-school ray-casting techniques)

Awesome!  Want to do an article on what you did?  I'm serious..  None of this works unless we have people starting to have confidence in themselves and step up to the plate.  =)

#6 j-locke   Members   -  Reputation: 815

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Maybe as a precursor for the fps, a 3d "maze runner" akin to that old Windows screensaver that had a camera running around a maze. And maybe AI could tie into that or be a nice "Next Step" to add at the end of the tutorial.

#7 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3465

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Awesome!  Want to do an article on what you did?  I'm serious..  None of this works unless we have people starting to have confidence in themselves and step up to the plate.  =)

I could probably do a write-up on it, i'll try to have something by Wednesday or Thursday.

(should i just make a post in this forum, or?)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#8 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5179

1Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I could probably do a write-up on it, i'll try to have something by Wednesday or Thursday.

You can create it here as a draft:  http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/

As a member of the Crossbones group you will have all the privileges of GDNet+ and will be part of of our movement to turn this site into a huge resource of articles for game developers.   The only catch is you have to also finish the article. 

If anybody else is willing to jump on board today with one of these topics PM me and I'll add you to this group.   If you are a member of this core group you can be part of changing our community for the better forever and helping developers all over the world.   Why crossbones?  Because pirates are cool.. and they were always outnumbered by much larger forces against them.  I figure creating this kind of change won't be easy.. so it fits.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 04 March 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#9 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Huh? You have a Crossbones group but not a Shuriken group? I'm appalled!

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#10 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 782

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Dude,can't wait for the mario clone.

#11 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3465

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

You can create it here as a draft:  http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/

As a member of the Crossbones group you will have all the privileges of GDNet+ and will be part of of our movement to turn this site into a huge resource of articles for game developers.   The only catch is you have to also finish the article. 

If anybody else is willing to jump on board today with one of these topics PM me and I'll add you to this group.   If you are a member of this core group you can be part of changing our community for the better forever and helping developers all over the world.   Why crossbones?  Because pirates are cool.. and they were always outnumbered by much larger forces against them.  I figure creating this kind of change won't be easy.. so it fits.

alright, i've finished writing up the initial article, but when i try to preview it before i submit it, i am not shown anything, it just says "STUB23"

Edited by slicer4ever, 06 March 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#12 Poigahn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 518

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

How about, and I could be wrong on the game's actual name, "Orthello" ?   I have also seen called "Reversi" , Which I am working on myself.

I just completed a simple word puzzle game in 2D.  I am also currently working on a Modified 3D version of the word game.

I Keep notebooks on all my projects as to be able to build upon my accomplishments.

I would like to become apart of this endeavor.  Just give me the guidelines.  I have written and had copyrights on a few programs in the past.  Currently, what I do write is for personal enjoyment and a hobby.  I would like to share what I have learned, and continue to learn.  I may be  able to give it a different perspective.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

#13 Poigahn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 518

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

What I would like to learn more about is 3D Model Building, using simple affordable programs like MilkShape3D.

Particularly, How to combine 2 3D modles at runtime to make 1 model,  For example how to have a soldier change weapons.  Or adding a cannon to a spaceship.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

#14 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

1Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Note: If this is not the right place for this question/post, please move or suggest better place.

I wonder what people are doing for their next Article? And how they felt about the Articles they have put up so far and the feedback?

I'm planning to do a Worms game using Racket [language] as an Article. My first article was a bit nervewrecking. I thought I would get all sorts of critiques on how to make it not suck. But the feedback has been encouraging and constructive. For instance, I've learned that Word doesn't check grammar very well. And doing an all-nighter affects your grammar as well. :D Hopefully after Worms, I'll do a tutorial on recursion. But right now, I think I may need a tutorial on recursion... :(

Spoiler

#15 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3465

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'm about half way through a mario article.

#16 Zipster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 585

2Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I wrote an Asteroids clone maybe 13 years ago? Back when DX 7 was all the rage and DirectDraw was how you did your 2D graphics. I don't think I have the source code anymore and it would most certainly not be using DirectDraw, however I wouldn't mind taking a crack at a new and improved version for an article smile.png

#17 GhostDev   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't know if this is the place for it, and whether it would count as a game, but I would like to maybe see an article on a text-based game, where the focuses should be and how to make it as entertaining as any other game.

Thanks!

PARTNERS