• Create Account

Article Topics: Math and Physics

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

1Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Here is a list of Math and Physics topics so far.   This list should include anything math or physics related that would directly benefit game developers.   The purpose of this list is to serve to inspire others with topic ideas.  

Note:  This post is an offshoot of http://www.gamedev.net/topic/639725-article-inspiration/ and is intended to allow us to focus in one one particular area.  I will add onto this list as suggestions are added.

Physics

Physics - Basic 2D Physics

Simulating 2d Linear Velocity

Simulating 2d Gravity

Math

Math - Introduction to Matrices

Coordinate Systems
Introduction to 2D Vectors / Common 2D Vector Operations (Reflection, Rotations, Scaling)

2D Collision Detection (point and point, point and circle, rectangles, polygons, etc)

Pixel Perfect Collision Detection
3D Collision Detection
Interpolation/extrapolation (basic stuff, SLERP, using quaternions to interpolate matrices...)
Procedural generation of content (noise of all sorts and how to combine it to get results)
Waypoint Path Following (with both straight and smooth curved lines - e.g. Splines)      

Compute geometric center of object (array of positions)
Compute center of mass of objects with thin shells
Compute center of mass of solid objects

What additional topics should we have in our article library?

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 28 March 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3982

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

basic/advanced trigonometry concepts(which can lead into vectors,complex numbers, and matrices), coordinate systems,  introduction to geometry(which could lead into 2D/3D collision concepts)

although: i don't know how much introductory stuff really needs to be touched on here, since the internet is already pretty full of math topics.

Edited by slicer4ever, 04 March 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

basic/advanced trigonometry concepts(which can lead into vectors,complex numbers, and matrices), coordinate systems,  introduction to geometry(which could lead into 2D/3D collision concepts)

although: i don't know how much introductory stuff really needs to be touched on here, since the internet is already pretty full of math topics.

Well the idea here is not to necessarily rely on the fact that it exists somewhere, but that it should be part of a library on game development.   If it's important to game development, include it.   Getting all these resources in one place and finding ways to organize them is an important part of the process.   Right now you can find scattered articles throughout the net, but we want an approach where our own members vet the content and can comment on it here.

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

My only suggestion is that whatever articles/libraries there are for 2D there should be analogous article/library for 3D. In particular, the 3 topics under Physics.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

My only suggestion is that whatever articles/libraries there are for 2D there should be analogous article/library for 3D. In particular, the 3 topics under Physics.

Agreed.

#6 Geometrian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1601

1Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

3D vectors! Especially dot products and cross products. These are indispensable for even the most basic graphics programming.

Edited by Geometrian, 08 March 2013 - 08:04 PM.

And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.

#7 incertia   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 779

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Basic mechanics? Moments of inertia, momentum, work/energy. That sort of thing. Also perhaps an intro to multivariable calculus may be helpful in following physics later.
what

PARTNERS