• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What would you make armour out of?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
43 replies to this topic

#1 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi y'all. Hoping to set up a brainstorming session here smile.png

What, in a medieval-fantasy world a la Elder Scrolls, could armour be made from? I'm hoping to have a vast array of different armours, and perhaps the magical ones could have their own subtle abilities. All ideas welcome! Here is the most interesting subset of what I have come up with so far:

EDIT2: No longer taking armour ideas - I have 30 different materials now, but thanks to everyone who contributed! I got rid of a few, including a few of my own, and am satisfied with the final list smile.png Seeing how awesome this thread was, I might make another suggestions thread for other items (Especially weapons!) and spells

The armour categories are now divided into: Mundane, Elemental, Natural, and of course the two Divine armours accessible to demigod characters

Mundane:

Animal Hide

Leather

Scale Mail

Chain mail

Iron Plate

Steel Plate

Adamant

Titanium

Golden - magic properties of gold allow mage-smiths to alloy it with steel to make it stronger

Mithril

Natural

Dragonscale

Leaf - Armour made from very very tough leaves! Very lightweight.

Coral

Resin

Feather

Skeletal

Chitinous

Spider Silk

Ivory

Elemental

Igneous - rocky exterior with the lava core showing through cracks

Sanguine - steel fused with blood, forged by vampire blood-alchemists

Crystalline

Magesteel / Necrosteel - Normal steel forged with enchantments

Skysteel - rare metal found in falling stars (meteorites)

Aphotic - this mysterious material absorbs all light...

Diamond

Icicle

Apocalyptic - forged in the heart of a dying star

Halcyon

(Apocalyptic and Halcyon armour only accessible to characters that have become demigods)

Again, all ideas welcome, and feel free to suspend disbelief/ignore the practicalities!

Edited by hupsilardee, 20 March 2013 - 05:49 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2136

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Bees. Like a beard of bees, except it covers your whole body. Doesn't really provide much direct protection, but anyone who hits you will suddenly have a swarm of angry bees to deal with. Doesn't help much against fire based attacks though.

Feathers. I've heard of armour made from hides, furs, scales, chitin. But I've never come across an armour constructed primarily from feathers. It can also be rolled up and double as a comfy pillow at night.

Portable Holes. The armour is made by sewing lots of Portable Holes onto a suit of regular armour. Most attacks will just go straight through!

#3 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bees. Like a beard of bees, except it covers your whole body. Doesn't really provide much direct protection, but anyone who hits you will suddenly have a swarm of angry bees to deal with. Doesn't help much against fire based attacks though.

Feathers. I've heard of armour made from hides, furs, scales, chitin. But I've never come across an armour constructed primarily from feathers. It can also be rolled up and double as a comfy pillow at night.

Portable Holes. The armour is made by sewing lots of Portable Holes onto a suit of regular armour. Most attacks will just go straight through!

Feathers?! I love it!!! Super-tough feathers from an extinct race of birds, like the Roc or something. Of course, collecting enough feathers for a full suit is quite the challenge

Bees: It's a nice idea but I think it might just be too complicated to implement - what happens when your armour attacks one person, then their buddy attacks you? It would lend itself to an interesting aggressive spell though - noted!

Portable Holes: Would like to avoid crazy quantum science fiction concepts - my magic system is going to be complicated enough as it is! Again, thanks for the contribution :)

#4 Milcho   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1177

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Not sure if this is the kind of input you're looking for, but here's some stuff:

- Madeupium Clay - some sort of fictional clay (obviously from the Madeup marsh) that's soft and malliable under normal conditions, but hardens upon strong impact. So, good for arrow deflection, sword swings, but bad for slow knife stabs

- Nonexistian Spiderian Web armor - woven thin fibers into a kevlar-like material, but naturally produced by the Nonexistian Spiderian species(who, I hear, also happen to eat people alive :) ) Guess you can call it Silk armor.. 

- Indestrucium Tree Bark armor - made from the ancient and nearly indestructible bark of the Indestructium Trees. Can only be obtained in random sized flakes of the bark that fall off naturally, as the trees can't really be cut

- Colder-than-ice armor: a magically fueled armor that freezes everything to come in contact with it, making it brittle. Swords and arrows shatter on impact. Obviously it only does so on the outside

Probably more crazy ideas out there...

#5 lmbarns   Members   -  Reputation: 460

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

If you have a "plains" area, reed grass could be used to make a lower level armor. Or padding for other armors.

Edited by lmbarns, 05 March 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#6 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9938

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Coral

Love it!

- Colder-than-ice armor:

There's some of that in Skyrim's latests expansion actually :P

#7 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4980

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Lacquer is something that was actually used for armor but you rarely see it in games.  So was wood.  Mage robes made out of insect wings could be pretty awesome (or feathers, as mentioned above).  An organic equivalent of kevlar (some variety of silk?) would also make a good light armor.  Ivory plates or scales could make a cool looking heavy armor.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#8 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Wow, this thread is going awesomely!

Not sure if this is the kind of input you're looking for, but here's some stuff:

- Madeupium Clay - some sort of fictional clay (obviously from the Madeup marsh) that's soft and malliable under normal conditions, but hardens upon strong impact. So, good for arrow deflection, sword swings, but bad for slow knife stabs

- Nonexistian Spiderian Web armor - woven thin fibers into a kevlar-like material, but naturally produced by the Nonexistian Spiderian species(who, I hear, also happen to eat people alive smile.png ) Guess you can call it Silk armor.. 

- Indestrucium Tree Bark armor - made from the ancient and nearly indestructible bark of the Indestructium Trees. Can only be obtained in random sized flakes of the bark that fall off naturally, as the trees can't really be cut

- Colder-than-ice armor: a magically fueled armor that freezes everything to come in contact with it, making it brittle. Swords and arrows shatter on impact. Obviously it only does so on the outside

Probably more crazy ideas out there...

I'm liking the Spider Silk idea, in the real world, spider silk is supposed to have a greater tensile strength than steel, so in the fantasy realm, silk from giant spiders could be woven into armour.

I did already consider tree bark, but decided to go with the leaf idea in the end. One of my existing "exotic" ideas is Icicle armour - it's spiky and cold ;)

The clay idea is an interesting one - as a negatively thixotropic material, so a great shock absorber.

If you have a "plains" area, reed grass could be used to make a lower level armor. Or padding for other armors.

This is a good idea, every game ever seems to start you out with generic leather armour, this would make a good alternative.

Lacquer
is something that was actually used for armor but you rarely see it in
games.  So was wood.  Mage robes made out of insect wings could be
pretty awesome (or feathers, as mentioned above).  An organic equivalent
of kevlar (some variety of silk?) would also make a good light armor. 
Ivory plates or scales could make a cool looking heavy armor.

I was reading something about real-world medieval armour, and it seems to me that lacquer would be a finish to leather or cloth armour, rather than a material on its own?

Insects could be another idea, somebody already mentioned chitin, or carapace armour. Of course I've got spider silk now for the 'organic kevlar' idea, and ivory is another great idea, perhaps ivory scale mail.

I've also added "resin" armour - my housemate came up with it not five minutes ago, probably inspired by Shivering Isles' amber armour. I'll post the full working list after the next reply. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

#9 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2136

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Bees: It's a nice idea but I think it might just be too complicated to implement - what happens when your armour attacks one person, then their buddy attacks you? It would lend itself to an interesting aggressive spell though - noted!

The angry bees could be as simple as an AoE effect.

Of course, it doesn't have to be bees. Taking the idea further, it could be any kind symbiotic creature/colony of creatures.

#10 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

The angry bees could be as simple as an AoE effect.

Of course, it doesn't have to be bees. Taking the idea further, it could be any kind symbiotic creature/colony of creatures.

I think it works better as a curse, because then I can have a nice string of upgrades - Bee Swarm, Wasp Swarm, Hornet Swarm, Deadly Dragonfly Swarm

Whereas bees as armour relies on the behaviour of bees when they form 'bee beards' or similar, which not all insects do

#11 agemO   Members   -  Reputation: 171

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

-Magical tattoos : the player is naked and is protected by magical tattoos.

-Wind shield : an eternal storm surround the player and deflect the attacks.

I think there are many good ideas, maybe should you choose these which can be link to the background of your story.

#12 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

-Magical tattoos : the player is naked and is protected by magical tattoos.

-Wind shield : an eternal storm surround the player and deflect the attacks.

I think there are many good ideas, maybe should you choose these which can be link to the background of your story.

Thanks for the ideas! I think both of these are better as defensive spells, with the armours themselves, the idea is that they are static objects while perhaps being made of magical or arcane materials - but you can't take off a wind shield and hang it on a stand...

Tattoos might make an interesting game mechanic in that you can collect magic tattoos which have a permanent effect. I can't think of any games which do this

I've started modeling the different armours and looking at some in-game results, would people be interested to see screenshots?

#13 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4913

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Paper is a historic material used for armour (and very light and effective). Basically, anything that can be folded like paper (leaves, cut-up reed) could be used in that manner.

#14 agemO   Members   -  Reputation: 171

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

"I can't think of any games which do this"

I'm almost sure the two idea I gave already exist in some way.

Do you want to use every possible idea or each one must be linked to something in your world ? (I mean if there is a vampire armour I suppose vampires exist in your world)

#15 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

"I can't think of any games which do this"

I'm almost sure the two idea I gave already exist in some way.

Do you want to use every possible idea or each one must be linked to something in your world ? (I mean if there is a vampire armour I suppose vampires exist in your world)

I haven't locked down the world yet, so rather than limiting the options, I'm putting in anything that sounds cool and adding a little backstory to the world based on it, so I'm interested in the explanations behind whatever ideas people have as well.

#16 agemO   Members   -  Reputation: 171

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

I've started modeling the different armours and looking at some in-game
results, would people be interested to see screenshots?

Yes we are !

#17 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 7743

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I admire the enthusiasm, but you'd be wise to keep in mind that sometimes less is more.

There's no quicker way to ruin a game--or, more likely, to simply send it into the abyss of non-completion--than to just throw in every idea that sounds cool. The creative act of achieving a harmoneous whole is as much about taking away as it is adding to. In fact, I'd argue that knowing what to take away (or simply not add) is the more important part.

#18 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 487

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Here we are then;

From left to right: Iron Plate Armour, Steel Plate Armour, Leather Armour, as modeled by the player in the middle, and two human NPCs with default hair. I like how the Leather Armour turned out, slightly inspired by the Roman lorica segmentata with the shoulder pieces. The Steel has no texture yet, and looks like the normals need fixing as well :)

I'd also like to point out that the lighting and terrain are unfinished!

I admire the enthusiasm, but you'd be wise to keep in mind that sometimes less is more.

There's no quicker way to ruin a game--or, more likely, to simply send it into the abyss of non-completion--than to just throw in every idea that sounds cool. The creative act of achieving a harmoneous whole is as much about taking away as it is adding to. In fact, I'd argue that knowing what to take away (or simply not add) is the more important part.

You're right, but I'm having so much fun right now smile.png Some stuff might have to come out later, I shall give each one careful thought before I start modeling it. This sounds like really good advice for working on something really important like gameplay features, but hey, these are just items with varying stats.

#19 Milcho   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1177

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Tattoos might make an interesting game mechanic in that you can collect magic tattoos which have a permanent effect. I can't think of any games which do this

Not exactly what you mean, but magical tatoos are actually an armor in GW1:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monk_Dragon_armor

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monk_Star_armor

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monk_Flowing_armor

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monk_Labyrinthine_armor

They're just worn/treated like regular armor though, so nothing special.

#20 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4980

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Visuals can be a useful thing to consider.  It would be nice to have (at least) one silver armor, one gold armor, one red/copper armor, one blue armor, one black armor, and one white armor (per armor class).  Green, purple, and other colors can be used either as their own armors or as an accent to distinguish between two armors with the same base color (for example black/purple armor vs. black/green armor).

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS