• Create Account

Best Engine for Open World Games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 DavidAl123   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi community,

I am looking for a good engine that would be efficient for creating a open world third person shooter like "Just Cause 2" or any other Open World Adventure. I already had some ideas:

Unity3D (Didnt like it, so please dont try to convince me :) :D )

CryEngine SDK

UDK

Any ideas which of these engines would be most smiliar to the just cause or tomb raider engine?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. For modeling I use 3ds Max, Maya, zBrush and I am learning programming fast and also know a little unrealscript just as c++ (but I know javascript best)

With best regards,

David Al

Sponsor:

#2 Damian.   Members   -  Reputation: 272

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

You can try Esenthel Engine, really good engine, easy to use, and powerful and price is not so bad.

#3 Legendweaver   Members   -  Reputation: 197

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

It's worth looking at Torque3D, by GarageGames. It's got support for very large height-mapped terrain, it's been used for commercial shooters, and best of all, it's free and open source - it was recently released under an MIT license.

#4 DavidAl123   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the answers! But what about the Grit-Engine ? Torque3D looks a little old wacko.png ...

#5 EMascheG   Members   -  Reputation: 718

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Grit Engine is very green, Use OGRE 3D for Graphics, Can use in Windows or Linux, Don´t have Terrain Editor you need to create your own terrain programs how GeoControl,World Machine with 3DS Max,Maya,Zbrush or Sculptris. if i remember good the main core is written in Lua and C++ for graphics for OGRE 3D, with Bullet Engine for Physics Only have importer Blender and 3DS Max, The importer of Blender is good but 3DS Max is rustic. But have a good Stream System, include a Day/Night Cycle, Good System of Light,Shadows.The Documentation is little,Forum have low people but have good people help you in what they can  You can use the Engine but need good knows about programming in C++ and Lua, or you can learn how work a engine and create a good stream for your own engine.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS