• Create Account

starting over

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

well I have been told to stop programming so I have taken almost 2 month break from programming. I still like programming. Can I please get a second chance to improve my programming skills.

Sponsor:

#2 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1571

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well, no one is stopping you (except yourself). : /

#3 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

cool thanks

#4 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1614

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

uuuuuh...what just happened here?mellow.png

Don't care what the world says to you, believe in your heart, dude.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#5 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

thanks for the encouragement

#6 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1854

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

well I have been told to stop programming so I have taken almost 2 month break from programming. I still like programming. Can I please get a second chance to improve my programming skills.

why? keep on programming if you love it. Follow your passion smile.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#7 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1433

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

People don't know you. Honestly, if you are passionate about something, just go do it and go for it! People want to stop you from doing something because they don't know how to do it and assume you do not. 

#8 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

how do you post code I tried

but it does not work

#9 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3001

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

YAY! Phil's back! biggrin.png
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#10 stitchs   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1294

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Go for whatever you want to do!

I think I remember the forum post where you were told this. What the people responding to that thread were trying to say was not necessarily to stop, but that it may not be right for you. At the time (if I'm correct, correct me if so), the reasoning was you weren't taking advice on-board and then a week later would create a new topic with an incredibly similar question.

I hope that the break has aided you in refreshing your mind and, if you still feel like you love to program, then welcome back!

Regards,

Stitchs.

#11 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9869

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have been told to stop programming

By whom?

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#12 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3101

3Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

I have been told to stop programming

By whom?

By me, for one. Though not in so many words. Later in that thread, L.Spiro was a bit more forthright.

phil67rpg is, IMO, an interesting case. Seriously, look at his posting history. On the one hand, he seems like he's just super eager to learn, he's relatively polite, etc... On the other hand, he just doesn't listen. Look how long he's been battling with Breakout. We're talking years here, with a posting history littered with threads essentially asking the same questions over and over and over without any indication whatsoever that he bothered to read replies to the previous threads. Helping people and encouraging them is one thing, but exactly how much time are people supposed to spend on helping someone who apparently just doesn't bother to read any replies or follow up on them?

#13 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1854

3Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

While many people on this great site are great programmers and great talents I would say that no one except the OP should decide whether he should stop programming or not. Perhaps the OP should learn to do what he likes and not what other people are telling him to do.

When reading a book or tutorial line by line should be read and understood. Every example should be read carefully and researched like one is studying the holy text itself. This counts no matter what programming you are doing(scripting or engine programming). You need to be stubborn, real stubborn and persistent.     

Start programming now if you feel like and stop asking others what to do. Have fun and enjoy your life. It is your life and your decisions. 

All the best for you.

Dwarf King

Edited by Dwarf King, 12 March 2013 - 10:40 AM.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#14 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18577

3Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Phil, if you want to program then go ahead and program -- the thing that was annoying people was when you apparently gave up on some particular problem and then came back with exactly the same question some time later -- by all means continue with your goal of programming, but if you get stuck you need to stick with it and solve your problem, or if you really need to take a break come back to the same topic rather than just starting over a few weeks later.

To be good at programming you need to persist and work through your difficulties.

You have great enthusiasm, and you're obviously very driven to succeed at programming -- these are great attributes -- you just need to persist through difficulties, and to work hard to understand the advice you're given rather than simply abandoning topics.

If you want to program then don't ask for permission, just go about your programming.

#15 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

thanks for all the advice

#16 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13581

9Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

After links to me telling him to quit programming people have been down-voting those posts.
But consider this.

To be good at programming you need to persist and work through your difficulties.

After having been told to quit he took time to evaluate his passion and found the overwhelming urge to continue.
And it appears he finished his game between that time and now without having to ask for help.

As I had been saying in the posts leading up to telling him to quit, we are not doing him a favor by holding his hand so tightly.

Now we have officially (and finally) helped him.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 13 March 2013 - 05:32 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#17 CC Ricers   Members   -  Reputation: 623

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ah wow *facepalm* Just realized the topic about the finished Breakout game was his. I've been staying quiet there but I remember some of his other topics.

Not only did he finish his game, he also kept going further by resolving the dependency issues related to other people trying to open his game.

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

#18 BCullis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1813

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Helping people and encouraging them is one thing, but exactly how much time are people supposed to spend on helping someone who apparently just doesn't bother to read any replies or follow up on them?

Always keep in mind: there are thousands of silent recipients of advice from these forums in the form of google users who get solutions to the identical problem without ever having to create an account and post their question.  This is one reason why I still prefer forums in the age of twitter/facebook/tumblr.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too

#19 jolteon   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

i think that if you stop, you'll be wasting time to improve your skills

definitely keep doing it!! head up

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS