• Create Account

Some advice please :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 BudBrain   Members   -  Reputation: 94

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

I've had the urge to get in to game development again but could really use some advice first so that I don't waste time.

I'm a C# .NET developer by trade, and have some experience using Valve's Hammer editor - that's about it!

Can anyone advise where I should go from here? Do I need to learn another language? Do I need to learn an engine - if so, which one?

Help! blink.png

Thanks wink.png

Sponsor:

#2 Lightness1024   Members   -  Reputation: 677

3Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Maybe learn Unity, it would teach you sane designs like Entity Components; and you're in luck, it is C#.

also I believe there is a guide to the beginner in this website somewhere

#3 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2657

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

If you want to continue with Hammer you are going to have to learn C++ as that's the language the Source Engine uses. Other then that there are other engines/frameworks out there that allow you to develop games with and they all use different languages. As suggest unity is useful it supports C#, Python and C++ and a few others I think.

The other path you can walk is write you game from scratch in C#, there is frameworks out there that can help you out with this as well, XNA, SlimDX, SharpDX are only a few that come to mind quickly.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#4 PoliticalChaos   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Like others have said, Unity is a great engine to use.. it really takes care of a lot of the rudimentary and quite frankly boring parts of game development. It supports C#, JavaScript and I believe Objective-C which is what iOS uses. I myself am a C++/C# developer and C++ is defiantly the better of the two when it comes to developing games from scratch.

If you do want to use C# from scratch and not use a pre-built engine like Unity or UDK try downloading the XNA framework or Windows Phone 7.1/8.0 SDK. The reason I say the windows phone SDK is because Microsoft has decided to discontinue XNA and push it's indie game development resources into Windows Phone - which is transferable to Xbox 360 Live Arcade, Windows Phone, and Windows PC. Give that a try, it's a lot of fun.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS