• Create Account

How feasible is using the NDK?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hey, sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I'm also just doing an introductory look into android, but I'm looking to use the NDK. How feasible is using the NDK? How easy is it to integrate an already made C++ engine to work with Android? I know there is some unavoidable Java code that I'll have to write to query platform features and such, but how intrusive is that code?

I'm an experienced C++ programmer and would really like to target the platform if it doesn't require a whole rewrite of my engine.

Perception is when one imagination clashes with another

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19853

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Spitting this off to its own thread. Please start a new thread for a new question.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19853

2Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Exactly how easy or difficult it would be depends entirely on the code base.

There is no way to know with the information you provided.

If you have a small code base or an extremely simple code base it could be a relatively simple matter.

If you have a large code base or an extremely complex code base it could be a relatively complex matter.

#4 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hah fair enough, sorry to intrude on the other thread.

I have an engine that is primarily just rendering tech with some additional functionality like cameras, file IO, the like. It's a completely cross platform engine though, and I render using OpenGL, DirectX 9, and DirectX 11. I should be able to fold OpenGL ES into my engine well enough, but I'm worried about rendering not being a clean break from Java. Like how much Java code would I have to write to just get my engine spinning under the hood?

I'm sorry, I know it's a very vague question.

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19853

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I don't understand what you are trying to get at with the question.

We cannot give an answer that makes sense. "It takes 3 units of work". Or maybe more. Or less. We don't know your engine.

Is it possible? Yes, it is possible.

#6 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

I guess my question is, how intrusive is the Java code necessary to properly initialize an engine and run with it?

#7 Damian.   Members   -  Reputation: 272

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

You can use native-activity, then you don't need to mess with Java. And example is in samples folder.

#8 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Awesome, thank you. I haven't dug into the samples yet, I'm just probing around a bit.

#9 jeff8j   Members   -  Reputation: 714

2Likes

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

I wish you luck but sharing a bit of my experience its not pretty but I do hope it keeps getting better.

Pros

1. Ease of conversion only real issue was pthread_cancel in my case

2. Excellent performance must faster than java in some heavy cpu encryption cases

Cons

1. With much research I still cannot get a gl context without java

2. Targeting multiple devices is a pain I must be doing something wrong but that leads to 3. Out of the 4 devices in my home apparently there are 3 different types of arm cores which makes sense being some are old and 1 is a media player but I still havent been able to get all of them to work.

3. Horrible docs alot of things are not documented

4. pthread_cancel is non existent and probably more but thats just something my project was using that it cant anymore.

I hope this is just me and not the ndk itself this has just been my experience and I have never compiled for arm devices before maybe someone knowing more can put tell if the cons are just me or not I would be interested to know.

One note about my findings so far I have not done audio so thats a bit scary as the library we were using is not capable and were looking for low level audio im not sure how well it will come out.

Firefox youtube video and audio downloader MP3 MP4 OGG WEBM

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-youtube-converter/

#10 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1582

3Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

I've found using the NDK fairly simple and had very little trouble with it.  I'm not using Native Activity but still the amount of Java I have in my codebase is around 20 ~ 30 lines.
There are also several open source engines available that you can look at for inspiration too.  Cocos2d-X, gameplay3D and this one:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-1119975913,descCd-DOWNLOAD.html
which comes with the programming games and graphicsfor Android. amd iOS book.

I think there is also a cross platform quake port floating around somewhere too.

#11 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Awesome, that's great to hear, thanks Buster! I'll take a look at some of those resources. Though I'm a foolish person, and am going to roll my own tech.

#12 JoeJ   Members   -  Reputation: 199

2Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Using NDK is a must for me, as it allows to share 99,9% of code with IOS, and i can develop my game with Visual Studio 99,9 % of the time :)

Using native activity is only available on updated devices, so i avoid it and use java for those things:

* Loading files (c file functions work, but can't access the comprerssed package contents so easy)

* Sound (OpenAL is available but relatively new to Android)

* Threading (never tried pthreads, but they would be available on IOS too!)

* Creationg OGL context 

* reading sensors

* (Network, server communiction... if you need)

Expect a little bit of pain getting all this basic things to work, but then it shouldn't be a problem

to run any OGL engine with a few #ifdefs, no matter how complex it is

NDK itself is just C++ as you know it - Nvidia has some nice Installers that setup all you need (Cygwin...)

#13 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

JoeJ, that sounds amazing. I'm a console developer at work, and I'd really like to be able to still work in Visual Studios without too much hassle. And I have experience with pthread, so I should be able to cross that one off the list.

I hope I can create my OGL context in my code, but if I can't, it's not the end of the world.

I'll have to check out the Nvidia resources and see what they can do for me.

#14 adt7   Members   -  Reputation: 425

1Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I'm currently using the NDK with SDL2 (ex. 1.3) and it's been a piece of cake. Sure, the debuging options are limited, but so long as you setup some defines for logging (so you can use the logcat) and learn how to use gdb it's not too bad. It helps if you can help your project for a different platform (e.g. Linux or Windows) and debug on there, but this may not be possible depending on what you are doing.

I'm sharing code between Windows, OSX, Linux and Android (all non-NEON devices, as SDL doesn't build correctly for them) at the moment, using CMake to build all of the projects except the Android one - where I use the NDK tools on Linux, but I've tested Cygwin and that works too. Eventually I'll add iOS in the mix, but I thought I'd leave that for a while (this is probably a massive mistake) as I wanted to get on and actually start developing.

At some point I'll clear out all the project specific code and upload a blank project template to bitbucket or github, since it's taken a little bit of work to get it all working, but now it is all setup it's a doddle.

#15 Seabolt   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

That's great to hear. I've never played around with make files so this should be quite the learning experience, but I'm glad to hear such positive feedback. Another question. I've got a working OpenGL 2.0-3.3 graphics engine, how hard is it to port to Android/iOS. (I know you don't know the code, but just in general)

#16 JoeJ   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't know exactly, cause i work with OGL 1.x, which is similar to ES 1.0.

But i'm pretty sure that 2.0-3.3 is very similar to ES 2.0.

The deprecated stuff (glBegin, glRotate...) is missing from ES 2.0, and ES supports only triangles, no quads.

Which means that most probably you don't need to change anything from the runtime stuff.

Performance is another question - i target 60 fps and for me fillrate is the only thing that seriously affects performance.

OGL calls do not return immideatly, so it's good to have another thread doing the next timestep

while the render thread waits on gpu even on single cores.

I think the real mess with mobiles is understanding the thing called activity lifecycle on android:

What happens on incoming calls... When do you need to reload textures, because android killed OGL context...

What does my app in background... Which things are restored automatically when it comes back...

Problem is that i'm never sure if what i do is right for all devices.

@MODERATORS: I CAN'T LOGIN FROM FIREFOX (19.0) - IE IS OK

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS