• Create Account

AI and undoing moves

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hi all,

I'm writing a board game and using Negamax for the AI. I'm applying an undo function instead of copying the board state, in order to speed up the search.

The evaluation function needs to consider the players' number of pieces that are on the board, those that still have to be placed and those that have been removed from the game. I can get this information every time but this means that I have to loop through the whole board and that would slow down search.

If I add variables and these are increased in makemove and decreased in undomove, it still doesn't work because of the recursive nature of the AI search.

So what is the best way to set these variables and sync them with the negmax search and the actual moves being done?

Thanks,

C

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

If I add variables and these are increased in makemove and decreased in undomove, it still doesn't work because of the recursive nature of the AI search.

You lost me there. That should work just fine. I do it all the time...

#3 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

I have a variable called activePieces which returns the number of activepieces a player has.when I make a move that places a piece, I add 1 to it. In undomove I subtract 1. my negamax function is:

private int negamax(IBoard board, int depth, int alpha, int beta, Move[] bestMove)
    {
        bestMove[0] = null;

if (depth == 0)
            return board.getScore();

if (board.getWon() != 0)
            return board.getScore();

List<Move> bestMoves = null;
        List<Move> moves = board.getMoves();

if (depth == maxDepth)
        {
            bestMoves = new ArrayList<Move>();
            bestMoves.clear();
            bestMoves.add(moves.get(0));
        }

int minimax = -board.getMaxScoreValue();
        int val;

for (Move move : moves)
        {
        	//Make the move
        	board.makeMove(move, true);

val = -negamax(board, depth - 1, -beta, -alpha, dummyMove);

//Set the move score
            move.setScore(val);

//Undo the move
            board.undoMove(move);

if (val > minimax)
                minimax = val;

if (depth == maxDepth)
            {
                if (val > bestMoves.get(0).getScore())
                {
                    bestMoves.clear();
                    bestMoves.add(move);
                }
                else if (val == bestMoves.get(0).getScore())
                    bestMoves.add(move);
            }
            else
            {
            	//Alpha-Beta pruning
                if (val > alpha)
                    alpha = val;

if (alpha >= beta)
                    return alpha;
            }
        }

if (depth == maxDepth)
        {
        	bestMove[0] = bestMoves.get(0);
        	for (int i = 1; i < bestMoves.size(); i++)
        		if (bestMoves.get(i).getScore() > bestMove[0].getScore())
        			bestMove[0] = bestMoves.get(i);
        }

return minimax;
    }

As you can see above, because undoMove is called after the recursive calls, the activepieces variable can go up to 8000 and above.

#4 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

As you can see above, because undoMove is called after the recursive calls, the activepieces variable can go up to 8000 and above.

No, I can't see that above. If activePieces reaches a value that is too high, you probably have a bug somewhere, but this has nothing to do with the recursive structure of the algorithm.

Some problems with your code:
* You would be better off having a separate function to search the root and to search the other moves. Forcing them to be in the same function forces you to have awkward things in your code, like `dummyMove' and conditional statements.
* `move.setScore(val);' looks weird to me. You don't need to store a score with the move at all.
* You don't need `minimax' at all: `alpha' is all you need.
* You are not updating `alpha' when searching the root, but you should.
* You seem to be trying to make a list of all equally good moves, but it won't work: Alpha-beta pruning works in such a way that a returned value of alpha only means that the true minimax score is alpha or less, and a returned value of beta only means that the true minimax score is beta or more. This means that when a move returns a value equal to the best value so far, it only means that the move is not better than the other move; but it could be much much worse!
* I don't even know what the last loop in your function is supposed to do. That was a better place to put a comment than the ones you have. But my guess is that you don't need that code at all.

#5 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I tried to follow your suggestions, and this is what I came up with:

public Move GetBestMove(IBoard board, int depth)
    {        
        //Changes in alpha/beta values propagates. Increases the chance of alpha-beta prunning
        int alpha = Integer.MIN_VALUE, beta = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
        int val, bestScore = 0;

//The move that will be returned
        Move bestMove = null;      

{
        	//Make the move

val = -negamax(board, depth - 1, -beta, -alpha);

//Undo the move
            board.undoMove(move);

//Keep best move
            if (val > bestScore)
            {
                bestScore = val;
                bestMove = move;
            }
        }

//Return the move
        return bestMove;
    }

private int negamax(IBoard board, int depth, int alpha, int beta)
    {
        if (depth == 0)
            return board.getScore();

if (board.getWon() != 0)
            return board.getScore();

int val;

{
        	//Make the move

val = -negamax(board, depth - 1, -beta, -alpha);

//Undo the move
            board.undoMove(move);

//Alpha-Beta pruning
            if (val > alpha)
                alpha = val;

if (alpha >= beta)
                return alpha;
        }

return alpha;
    }
}

Is this correct?

#6 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

No, you still don't update alpha in the code that searches the root node. You don't need `bestScore' at all. Just use alpha for that.

#7 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Ok. So I replace bestScore with alpha. This should make the search correct now?

#8 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I wouldn't use Integer.MIN_VALUE and Integer.MAX_VALUE. I am not sure what those are in your environment, but often they will be something like -2^31 and +2^31-1. The problem is that -Integer.MIN_VALUE might be the same as Integer.MIN_VALUE, the way overflow typically works. In my most recent chess engine I use 8000 as infinity (I want to be able to represent a score in 14 bits to store it in the transposition tables).

Other than that, it looks correct to me, but I might have missed something.

#9 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

It looks like the search is partially working but this is due to the fact that I'm still not ready with the evaluation function and move generation.

However, I come back to my first issue where I have a variable to hold the number of active pieces on the board for each player. Before the game starts, the variable is 0 for each player. After the first turn, the variable goes up to approx. 3000 for each player and it keeps growing after each turn.

In makeMove I'm doing +1 and in undomove I'm doing -1 so why is it increasing that much?

#10 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Do you know how to use a debugger? If not, this is the perfect opportunity.

#11 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5442

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Does the object you pass to recursive functions have its own container of moves? Because you may be continually adding moves to the same object rather than making a copy of the object which would break the recusrion. You need to pass copies of objects to recursive functions, not references. I'd check that first... in the debugger, as Al says.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#12 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Does the object you pass to recursive functions have its own container of moves? Because you may be continually adding moves to the same object rather than making a copy of the object which would break the recusrion. You need to pass copies of objects to recursive functions, not references. I'd check that first... in the debugger, as Al says.

Passing the board by reference and making and undoing moves the way his code does is very common. You can also extend the board to keep some precomputed information that is easy to update incrementally with each move. For instance, my chess engine has this:
void Board::place_piece(int square, int piece) {
  a[square] = piece;
  bb[piece] |= 1ul << square;
  zobrist_key ^= zobrist_table[piece][square];
  material_zobrist_key += zobrist_table[piece][0];
  opening_material_score += opening_square_piece_table[piece][square];
  endgame_material_score += endgame_square_piece_table[piece][square];
  total_material += naive_material_value[piece];
}

void Board::remove_piece(int square, int piece) {
  a[square] = Empty;
  bb[piece] &= ~(1ul << square);
  zobrist_key ^= zobrist_table[piece][square];
  material_zobrist_key -= zobrist_table[piece][0];
  opening_material_score -= opening_square_piece_table[piece][square];
  endgame_material_score -= endgame_square_piece_table[piece][square];
  total_material -= naive_material_value[piece];
}

`a' is an array with the content of each square on the board, and `bb' is a bitboard (a 64-bit number indicating where a piece type appears). The other five things are of the nature that we are discussing: They are kept incrementally as you make and undo moves. The code that makes and undoes moves uses the two functions above.

#13 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5442

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I get that... obviously you need to check that the undo stuff is correctly undoing the state though or else the container size explosion described is likely to be the result. Debugger-me-do...

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#14 cryobuzz75   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

That's similar to what I'm doing:

private void placePiece(int cell)
	{
		this.board.getCells()[cell] = playerType;
		this.board.getActivePieces()[playerType]++;
	}

private void undoPlacePiece(int cell)
	{
		this.board.getCells()[cell] = CellState.Empty;
		this.board.getActivePieces()[playerType]--;
	}

But the activepieces still increase out of proportion.

#15 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13935

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

How did it go with the debugger?

You can also write a simple test program that makes and undoes some moves, so you can see what's going on independently of the complicated alpha-beta search.

#16 cryo75   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hmm... although I could see the variables increasing and sometimes decreasing I couldn't fully follow. I'm suspecting that the variable goes out of sync because after every move and every undo I'm swapping the players (the current player on turn).

#17 Druzil   Members   -  Reputation: 629

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

A good test for ensuring that your move/undo is working properly is to temporarily save (clone) the state before each application of the move function and then after the undo move function testing that the state is the same as your saved state.  Obviously this is a huge performance hit so enable it, do a test to a reasonable depth of search (so that this clone and test is executed on all searched nodes) and once satisfied disable it.  If there is a problem the comparison will pinpoint which part of the move/undo move is not performing correctly.

#18 cryo75   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

I decided to copy the board anyways instead of undoing moves for now. If I have perfomance issues with copying I'll have to revert to undoing moves.

#19 Druzil   Members   -  Reputation: 629

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

It comes down to what your objective is for this implementation. If you are trying to make a strong AI try to tackle the move/undo problem before delving into any of the enhanced search features (PVS, History heuristics, killer moves, null move) as it will become much harder to make the change later.  Also your search depth will suffer greatly as copying is going to be your main bottleneck for the AI so you won't be generating nearly as many nodes compared to move/undo.

#20 cryo75   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yes I noticed that copying is a bottleneck. I'm currently searching at 5 ply but when I increase it to 7 it starts taking its time search. Maybe I should go back to make/undo.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS