• Create Account

Do we really need the large text for thread listings?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

I noticed the enlarged text and thought my browser was broken. But then I clicked on and refreshed and realized this is actual CSS. Honestly, I don't like it. Don't really see why it's needed. And would rather have threads with new posts be a different color or font.

However, maybe I'm the only one. And everyone else likes it. (shrug)

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6143

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

For the love of god turn off the large text.

#3 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3226

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't know, i kindof like it.

edit: is the text in the quick-nav bar changed as well, i swear it looks a bit fuzzyier for some reason, but i don't know 100%

Edited by slicer4ever, 08 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#4 blewisjr   Members   -  Reputation: 618

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

This actually to me looks like an entire new theme I thought my browser was broken as well.  All the text is so large even in the menu's.  If this is a new theme for the love of god turn it off or at least give us a drop down to revert to the old one.

#5 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9654

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

And here I kept clearing my cache, assuming it was a local glitch...

I imagine Mike must be using the site on a retina display :P

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#6 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I imagine Mike must be using the site on a retina display tongue.png

The text is large even for those of us blessed/cursed with a retina display.

I'm still trying to decide how much of me is just resisting change and how much of me actually doesn't like the big text... I'm not sure how much of which I'm feeling.

Edit: nope, I've made up my mind. I think if the text is going to be that big, it really needs more whitespace. Otherwise, it feels crowded.

Edited by Cornstalks, 08 March 2013 - 07:55 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#7 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9654

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

The text is large even for those of us blessed/cursed with a retina display.

I mean, it's kind of ok on my 2560x1440 Shimian at work, but on my laptop it's not so good.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#8 kuramayoko10   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

The size is really too big.

And the font is not really the best imo.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!

#9 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4662

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

I don't know what the hell happened with the site font but I'm guessing it's thanks to the recent site update we performed and IPS chose to make some changes to default font styles we were using with the old version.

Yea, I'd rather have the old font styles back too. The Journal font for entry headings is especially horrible - it looks like an alpha channel has been added to the font that was originally anti-aliased into a solid color background. Yick

Oh, just noticed it's for topic headings and forum headings too. Wunderful

Edited by Gaiiden, 08 March 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#10 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5149

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ick.. I changed it back for thread listings.  That wasn't supposed to happen.

#11 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Ick.. I changed it back for thread listings.  That wasn't supposed to happen.

Gracias, senor

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#12 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5149

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

I don't know what the hell happened with the site font but I'm guessing it's thanks to the recent site update we performed and IPS chose to make some changes to default font styles we were using with the old version.

Yea, I'd rather have the old font styles back too. The Journal font for entry headings is especially horrible - it looks like an alpha channel has been added to the font that was originally anti-aliased into a solid color background. Yick

Oh, just noticed it's for topic headings and forum headings too. Wunderful

I upped the size by 2 pixels.. that seems to have gotten rid of the aliasing effect for the font.

#13 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4662

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Yea it looks much better now

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS