Entering WVU in the fall

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 11 years ago
Where would a degree in both computer science and engineering get me? How far into the industry? I'm also planning to double major in business management with a concentration in small business. Would this be a good set-up to start my own studio, most likely indie?
Advertisement

Are you one of the top students in the class? Are you actually going to make an indie game or two? Are you going to actually graduate?

You're very unspecific, broad, and situational... It's hard to put thought into a question that doesn't have thought put into it.

1. Where would a degree in both computer science and engineering get me?

2. How far into the industry?

3. I'm also planning to double major in business management with a concentration in small business.

4. Would this be a good set-up to start my own studio, most likely indie?

I think you have fallen into the frequent beginner's trap of equating education, a degree, and employment. The three are *VERY* different.

1a. A BS degree program gives you a broad but shallow base of knowledge in the field.

1b. A degree itself is certification that you have completed the degree program.

2. Nothing at all. A degree serves as evidence to employers that you can do the job when they hire you. It does not confer a career.

3. Is that something you want? Is that something you are passionate about? If so pursuing it may make sense to you.

4. It is good in that you have studied a few things. It provides no real-world experience. It provides no business plan. It provides no funding.

Go to school because you want the education. If you want to learn a topic, then learn about it.

Get the degree to lock in external validation of the education. If you want a job to consider the education or to get other credentials, get the degree.

Do NOT get the education or the degree because of a mistaken belief that it will confer a job, or that it will confer success in any other area of your life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement