• Create Account

A short question!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

I`ve been woking with java for quit a long time and i enjoy it a lote but now i dont know if i should start learning openGL or slick2D for simple 2D  rpg or platformer  games.What do you think?

Sponsor:

#2 SillyCow   Members   -  Reputation: 849

5Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Don't use openGL for your first 2D platformer.

Use any 2D framework instead.

My new android game : Enemies of the Crown

My previous android game : Killer Bees

#3 Damian.   Members   -  Reputation: 272

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

If you done some games in past, go for OpenGL, but if not then use frameworks/libs/engines. 

And the another thing is that, what do you want to do. Games or Engines (If games then stick with engines), but if you want to learn more about 2d/3d graphics, how it works etc, then go for OpenGL.

#4 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 312

2Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

SillyCow - I`ve done some platformers game in the past but very basic :)

Damian. - I`d like to make 2D games

#5 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1531

3Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Try Slick2D...it's actually based on LWJGL which uses OpenGL. It is very similar to java's already existing graphics tools so it's no sweat for a first project.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#6 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3102

2Likes

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

It is always great to see programmers using various languages and liking them, such as the Java that you enjoy.  So many beginners with dreams of BIGTIME try to jump right into C++ cross-platform MMO and stuff - LOL  Java is a powerful language and you will eventually find advantages long term for crossplatform through OpenGL and other implementations.  Have you looked at jMonkey?  It really rocks the Java game dev!

I am not sure by your post how far you have progressed in game making, but I would say save OpenGL until you have at least 3 to 5 games made in 2D.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#7 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 312

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

3Ddreamer - Thanks for your replay and yes i`ve made 5 games aleardy. Have you looked at jMonkey? - Of corse i did but i never figure out how to use it :)).

I think you guys misunderstand me I am  not really a begginer i have 1 year + a couple of months experience.

#8 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 312

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

So if i go with Slick2D everything will be fine?

#9 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1531

2Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

So if i go with Slick2D everything will be fine?

Yep.

Make sure to read all the documentation and the wiki before you get started.

There are a lot of features that I wish I had known about before I started my project, and I'm sure you will find lots of tools you will want to use as well.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#10 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3102

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Of corse i did but i never figure out how to use it ).
I think you guys misunderstand me I am not really a begginer i have 1 year + a couple of months experience.

Yes, we understand but you were not specific about how many games that you have made, for all we knew only two.    happy.png   Number of games made can give somebody a better idea if you are ready to advance to a certain new feature of game development, other things considered, too.

You wrote that you never figured out how to use jMonkey, but have you asked for help from the jMonkey community or used a demo game or open source jMonkey game to help you?

I say this only to help, but you really need to pay attention to specifics and alternatives.  Details are something to embrace in game development. biggrin.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#11 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17749

3Likes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

If your goal is to get games made -- you want completed, reasonably bug-free software made without spending more time than necessary -- then you should take advantage of existing frameworks or engines rather than expending the time and effort to build your own version. Slick2d would be an excellent choice for a Java programmer; I'd save jMonkeyEngine till you want to try 3d.

Unless your needs are particularly unusual or you're making a very simple game an existing framework will usually result in a better quality project being completed sooner.

If you want to learn about the underlying technology then work at a lower level - OpenGL might be more appropriate for this.

It sounds to me like you want to focus on completing games rather than lower-level knowledge, but use whatever is appropriate for your goals.

Hope that helps! :-)
(Posted from mobile.)

#12 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks everybody for your help!! I will stick with slick2d and i`ll try to do my best!

#13 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3102

1Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

That's a good choice.  biggrin.png

This time, ask lots and lots and lots of questions of the Slick2D community to help you.  happy.png

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS