3Ds Max 7 Issues

Started by
3 comments, last by mikiex 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey everyone, I've been struggling for a while now to finish my 3d model that I was making for a game project. The model itself is finished, however I can't seem to texture the body of the car at all, the wheels worked fine but the body didn't want to texture properly (I used an unwrapping plugin and it didn't match up plus the slightest change to the texture would colour the entire body). I also can't get the hang of rigging the car so I can animate it when I put it into xna. I'm not asking anyone to do my work for me I'm just asking for help because I really can't get this done and I've been trying for weeks to get this working properly with no success.

Oh I know 3ds max 7 is awkward but it's the only version my university has so unfortunately I was stuck with it.

Thanks in advance.

(model is attached)

Advertisement

Any chance of some help? I'm still really struggling to put my model right. I don't want anyone to do this for me, just let me know where I'm going wrong/give advice. I was thinking it might be to do with the resolution I was saving the texture as but no matter what resolution I save it as it always looks the same on the sheet and bugs out when I make changes.

Your UVs in that Max file are junk. You would need to re-UV map it.

Thanks for the heads up :) just to ask what is your opinion on the model. It's my first 3ds max project and I've had no prior 3d modelling experience...

It's not bad for a first attempt but I think you need to watch a few more tutorials (as long as they are good!) on youtube and websites to pick up some tips.

The first thing I would point out is the density of the mesh isnt very consistent you have a lot of polys that don't contribute and just make your life harder.

A lot of cars in games these days don't use texturing on the main body work - so that would at least save you having to unwrap it.

Check out sites like Polycount,CGCars and SMCars. You will find plenty of other peoples work critiqued and tutorials, take all that information in and give it another go.

I think if you take a step back and look at a really good car mesh and compare it you should be able to see where you are going wrong, read other peoples critiques and see what the really good artists point out is wrong with other peoples work.

It will take time to get really good, but there has never been a better time to gain the information from other people on the net.

I wouldnt post that model for critique, but if you give it another go and your model is closer to what others can produce then put it up and see what others think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement