• Create Account

Reconstructing WorldPos from Depth Texture/Projection question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~0ul   Members   -  Reputation: 663

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to reconstruct a world space position from a depth texture sample (stored as z/w) from a pixel shader. I eventually plan to move to linear depth but I'm trying to get this to work with non linear depth first. I mostly understand everything, I'm just confused about this one bit.

I've been reading online and the general way to convert a depth value to a world position seems to be something like this:

float depth =  depthTex.Sample(defaultSampler, IN.TexCoords).r; //sample depth - z over w

float4 pixelPos = float4(x,y, depth, 1.0f); //store as pixel pos (x/w, y/w, z/w, 1.0f)

float4 worldProjPos = mul ( pixelPos, invWorldViewProj ); //apply inverse world view proj mat to bring into world space

float3 worldPos = worldProjPos.xyz / worldProjPos.w; // <--- 

My question is about the last line. 

Why do we divide by the w coordinate during unprojection ? I know we do a perspective divide when going from world space to projection/clip space, but why does the opposite transform which undoes the projection require another divide. I thought the 'w' was already in the denominator, so wouldn't we need to multiply by 'w' ?

I guess I'm just confused about how projection matrices work (never fully understood them), any links which explain this or tips on what I'm missing ? That's the only thing I'm confused about. 

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Lightness1024   Members   -  Reputation: 739

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

I think it may be because the WVP matrix is inverted therefore the w it 'spits' is also inverted, and your feeling is right for having to do the inverse operation than the perspective divide, therefore having to multiply. But since w is inversed here, you divide.

It's just a feeling though. I believe there is no problem proving that writing the whole operation on paper in details. I'll do that in the next days if nobody posts a better answer before that :)

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31843

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm not sure if this is correct either, but I believe what we call the 'perspective divide' is actually us converting from 4D homogenous coordinates to 3D Cartesian coordinates.
Projection matrices operate in 4D space where every 3D point becomes a 4D line -- there are many 4D points that correspond to a single 3D point. By dividing by the homogenous coordinate, you're 'normalizing' this 4D point to a standardized format, so when you drop the 'w', you end up with a single sensible/consistent 3D 'xyz' value.

#4 ~0ul   Members   -  Reputation: 663

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Thanks Hodgman, it makes a little more sense now. So we are basically converting from 4d -> 3d space in both directions so the divide is necessary. Do you know of any links which explains this 4d/projection matrix math in detail ?

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31843

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_coordinates

#6 Lightness1024   Members   -  Reputation: 739

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

very good in-depth (if I dare say) article about the big why of things:

http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_projectionmatrix.html

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS