• Create Account

C++ Programming - What IDE to use ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#1 _unreal   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just starting with my 3D game engine and i'm wandering what would the best IDE to use:

I have at the moment the following;

- Visual studio 2012 (with added plugins)

- Code-blocks

I'm just wandering is there something i'm missing that could be better, i personally prefer Visual studio at the moment.

So what i wan't to know any other possible IDE's i could use

Thanks in advance

Sponsor:

#2 GeneralQuery   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1263

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

If there was such a thing as the "best" IDE then there would only be one on the market (and everyone would be using it). Clearly this isn't the case and each have their own pros and cons. VS is a mighty fine IDE but of course it's Windows only so if you were working on multiple platforms then it might be more convenient to use a cross-platform IDE (of which there are a few). However, you state that you personally prefer VS so unless you have other requirements not stated in your OP then I see no pressing reason to switch to another.

Edited by GeneralQuery, 13 March 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#3 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 12426

1Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

There's a FAQ for this ;-)

#4 Kny069   Members   -  Reputation: 159

1Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Maybe Eclipse or Netbeans? It's more for Java but also C/C++-support. Now i'm using Eclipse atm

#5 Dunge   Members   -  Reputation: 405

9Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

If you do Windows development, Visual Studio all the way. Others are not even close.

#6 ColinDuquesnoy   Members   -  Reputation: 967

2Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

From your recent posts I see that you plan on working with Direct X so I guess you only target windows. If I'm right, I suggest you to continue with Visual Studio. I personally think its the best C++ IDE for windows, mainly because of its fast and reliable debugger (especially if you ever need to do remote debugging, using gdb for remote debugging is a pain in the ass...).

If you plan on going cross-platform, Qt Creator + CMake is a nice setup. The IDE is cross-platform, modern and provides a lots of tools (refactoring, code completion, gui designer with Qt -> nice for the engine's tools) while CMake give you a lots of flexibility and gives you a way to easily  package your software across all platforms.

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 15010

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I also like QtCreator, though I use it with the default make setup (QMake).

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#8 tedsta   Members   -  Reputation: 253

0Likes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Personally, I swear by Codeblocks because it's cross platform and it's pretty quick. Also, I find it easy to customize, but IDE is all about preference I guess. :P

Current Project

World Storm

out our Android app! (My roommate and I)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drsupersocks.ninja

#9 maxgpgpu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 279

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

CodeBlocks for Linux development.

VisualStudio2010 or CodeBlocks for Windows development.

If you're creating both Linux and Windows applications, CodeBlocks alone is fine.

Eclipse is very slow and extremely annoying in certain ways.

Edited by maxgpgpu, 14 March 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#10 Janissary   Banned   -  Reputation: 45

3Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

So you are going to develop a 3D game engine but you are asking what is the "best" IDE to use.

#11 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

- Visual studio 2012 (with added plugins)

If I recall correctly, VS Express doesn't have plugins, so you have the Professional edition... right?

VS is clunky out of the box, but with plugins it can become pretty nice. (Even if it still kind of sucks at editing text.) If you don't have Visual Assist X already, get it. It's not too expensive for what it does.

#12 MichaBen   Members   -  Reputation: 481

3Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Others are not even close.

I wonder with this statement if you even used other IDEs. Or you must mean that other IDE don't come close because they are already far ahead. But when it comes to code editing, Visual Studio is probably the least innovative and modern IDE you can think of. The main strong point of VS is the debugger, but for writing code it's horribly unproductive to work with VS (at least with the basic product without plugins).

Some things I'm missing from Visual Studio that for example QtCreator has natively:
- Smart indention (copy/paste a piece of code into a scope with different indention and it automatically adds or remove tabs for you, rather then manually select all lines and press tab several times).
- Pointer recognition (press . after a variable that is a pointer and it is replaced with -> automatically).
- Automatic closing quotes/brackets for literals/function calls/scopes/includes.
- Hotswap between cpp/header (VS only has this for cpp>header using context menu).
- Hotswap between declaration/implementation (VS only has separate go to definition/declaration that is still slow and buggy with large projects).
- Syntax highlighting is still limited in VS without plugins, although it's catching up with 2012.

Basically, when it comes to writing code, I find using plain old Visual Studio without third party plugins bad for your productivity.

#13 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3436

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Some things I'm missing from Visual Studio that for example QtCreator has natively:
- Smart indention (copy/paste a piece of code into a scope with different indention and it automatically adds or remove tabs for you, rather then manually select all lines and press tab several times).
- Pointer recognition (press . after a variable that is a pointer and it is replaced with -> automatically).
- Automatic closing quotes/brackets for literals/function calls/scopes/includes.
- Hotswap between cpp/header (VS only has this for cpp>header using context menu).
- Hotswap between declaration/implementation (VS only has separate go to definition/declaration that is still slow and buggy with large projects).
- Syntax highlighting is still limited in VS without plugins, although it's catching up with 2012.

Basically, when it comes to writing code, I find using plain old Visual Studio without third party plugins bad for your productivity.

None of those things would be particularly hard to implement (on top of the intellisense engine they already have, anyway). I think the only reason Microsoft hasn't added them is because they would put Visual Assist X (which includes all of your bullet points) out of business.

Edited by Nypyren, 14 March 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#14 Robert B Colton   Members   -  Reputation: 196

-1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

You could check out ENIGMA at http://www.enigma-dev.org it's a free and open source clone of Game Maker but that actually compiles so you can use reall C++ pointers and other things and we already run about 80% of Game Maker games out of the box 3x as fast.

Wxenigmawelcome.png

Visit http://www.enigma-dev.org for the free and open game creation suite, ENIGMA.

#15 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1973

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

You could try QtCreator also. From what I've heard it has amazing syntax highlighting and can be very useful.

I use Visual Studio for C++, and Eclipse for Java. CodeBlocks is very good also, however when I used it (was my first IDE), the syntax highlighting would get in the way a lot.

Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's Breakout:
Breakout!

Want to ask about Python and / or Pygame? What about HTML5 / CSS3 / JavaScript? What about C++ and / or SFML 2 (and 1.6)? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

Superman3275@Gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#16 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2619

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

Man up. angry.png

Use notepad.

Nah, VS is best for windows dev. Once you get it to install correctly you can just install the DX SDK and the two should link up automagically.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#17 Robert B Colton   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Im inclined to disagree I think OpenGL is much easier to understand for newcomers, and you can't make anything cross platform with DX so good luck getting it on any iStore or anything.
Visit http://www.enigma-dev.org for the free and open game creation suite, ENIGMA.

#18 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2619

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Im inclined to disagree I think OpenGL is much easier to understand for newcomers, and you can't make anything cross platform with DX so good luck getting it on any iStore or anything.

OpenGL is not an IDE.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#19 Robert B Colton   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Im not really sure, I'd have to say codeblocks even still, because you can use a cross platform wxWidgets toolkit for GUI stuff which does allot more than .NET framework controls. It can do MDI and allow docking floating panels, it also has a Scintilla wrapper, which is like a code editor with the line numbers and stuff and it can be customized and parses pretty much all of the known languages, being XML HTML C# C++ Java Basic you name it. But if you really just want an easy to use game programming IDE and language for only Windows development, use XNA & Visual C#.

#20 j-locke   Members   -  Reputation: 793

1Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Im not really sure, I'd have to say codeblocks even still, because you can use a cross platform wxWidgets toolkit for GUI stuff which does allot more than .NET framework controls. It can do MDI and allow docking floating panels, it also has a Scintilla wrapper, which is like a code editor with the line numbers and stuff and it can be customized and parses pretty much all of the known languages, being XML HTML C# C++ Java Basic you name it. But if you really just want an easy to use game programming IDE and language for only Windows development, use XNA & Visual C#.

I think you're confusing a lot of different concepts into this discussion. There is a question about what IDE to use on the table but most of your responses have been why cross platform solutions are better than Windows solutions (which may be perfectly valid, but just seems a bit off topic). OpenGL was something you mentioned, that can be used with any IDE. wxWidgets is a valid toolkit suggestion for GUI stuff, but again, that can be used from any IDE.

Visual Studio doesn't limit you to the .Net framework and CodeBlocks isn't the only avenue to wxWidgets.

I think the OP has gotten the best available suggestions available on IDEs so I have nothing new to add on that front.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS