• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Looking for Triple A game budget/expenditure breakdowns

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3391

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

I am looking for any specific information (as in real life data) out and about on the webs or other sources that covers budget/expenditure breakdowns for the creation of triple A games.  This would extend also to marketing related costs as well.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7829

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

As far as I know, publishers keep quite closed about budget breakdowns, though some indies are more open to represent their expenditures. From what I read, most AAA titles invest ~1.5 to 2.0 times the development budget in marketing.

Check gamasutra for post mortems, maybe it helps to get a feeling for budgets. Here are two post portems of indie titles:

Magicka (~400k budget)

Natural Selection 2(~3M budget)

#3 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3391

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

As far as I know, publishers keep quite closed about budget breakdowns

Sadly this is the case I have found so far in my own searches. But I can only hope a case or two springs up.

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22242

3Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

There was an article on Gamasutra several years ago.....

Had to do some digging, but after 15 minutes of various searches I found it. From 2007.

Call of Duty: Finest Hour -- The Contract

When that contract went sour, Activision and Spark had a lawsuit, and the court released their contract.  Several game industry lawyers reviewed the contract.

I think you will find the article's pages 6, 7, 12, and 13 are the most interesting for your question.  

Personally I found the entire contract and the analysis a fascinating read.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#5 Rakilonn   Members   -  Reputation: 421

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

There was an article on Gamasutra several years ago.....

Had to do some digging, but after 15 minutes of various searches I found it. From 2007.

Call of Duty: Finest Hour -- The Contract

Oh thank you smile.png I didn't know this one was released.

There is also this one :

http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

about the upcoming Destiny series.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS