• Create Account

C# for 2D game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plutonium   Members   -  Reputation: 349

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello everybody, I went into some problem: want to create game, but don't find with what.

Was trying to try work with C++, but just don't like it. So came back to C# (because in work using it), and i'm struggling what to choose. What I know a bit is XNA, so could go with it, but it's dead, so what is alternative? Now installed monoGame, and created project, and seeing that xna is included. So it use XNA libs? Tried to give my friend realeased project, but only gets error. I think because he don't have XNA installed. So, monogame need XNA libs to be standalone game? So why choose monogame, if XNA won't be updated? Isn't simplier to choose XNA and make game? Read something about sharpdx and monoGame. Possible to programming game with monoGame without using XNA framework?

Or maybe u have to suggest other C# game dev solution? And no, I don't wanna try Unity. I just want create 2D games smile.png

Sponsor:

#2 Nokame   Members   -  Reputation: 153

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would just use XNA, unless there's some sort of reason you care that XNA is dead.  Given your desire to create a 2d game, using C#... it seems like xna would be a solid enough choice.  If you're worried about up-to-date libraries and such... open up that C++ book and... get used to it (he added gently).  If your just trying to learn a few things about game development, xna is simple... fun... and still serves that purpose well.

Either way, good luck :)

Nokame

#3 Nick Gravelyn   Members   -  Reputation: 846

3Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

XNA isn't dead. Dead implies it doesn't work, isn't available, and isn't supported by Microsoft. None of that is true. The only truth is that there will be no more updates to XNA. If the current feature set of XNA meets your needs, there is no reason to avoid using it to build your game.

#4 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1404

-2Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

XNA isn't dead. Dead implies it doesn't work, isn't available, and isn't supported by Microsoft. None of that is true. The only truth is that there will be no more updates to XNA. If the current feature set of XNA meets your needs, there is no reason to avoid using it to build your game.

According to an email sent on 31 January 2013, XNA is no longer actively being developed, and it is not supported under the new "Metro interface" layers of Windows 8 nor on the Windows RT platform.

Boom headshot.  

If you want to make some 2D games pretty easy try learning c++ with SFML.  It's a library for 2d games over openGL, so its cross platform, it also supports things like audio, input, cross platform window management.

Edited by EddieV223, 14 March 2013 - 05:25 PM.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#5 j-locke   Members   -  Reputation: 811

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

If you want to make some 2D games pretty easy try learning c++ with SFML.  It's a library for 2d games over openGL, so its cross platform, it also supports things like audio, input, cross platform window management.

And SFML also has C# (well, .Net) bindings.

XNA, MonoGame, and SharpDX seem to be the most popular options so you've already kind of covered the bases there.

Xamarin seems a solid way to go if your aim is mobile platforms.

With pretty much any language and any framework/engine, you're going to run into needing redistributables installed for your game to run on friend's computers. If you're already comfortable with XNA, I'd say stick with it and just research what redistributable files need to be installed so you know where to direct friends (and others) so they can run your game.

#6 Fetze   Members   -  Reputation: 709

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Somewhat biased suggestion for a framework to take a look at: Duality. I'm currently working on a "Getting Started" kind of tutorial that might give you a quick overview on how to use it. You'll find it in the Wiki section of the google code page I've linked above.

Pro: Extensible Game Engine, Visual Editor, specialized on 2D, based on OpenGL / OpenAL, designed for C#, completely Open Source.
Con: Still under development, relatively new (been around for 1-2 years), Windows only

There are other 2D game frameworks out there for C#, though. Probably plenty of them - or so I imagine. SFML has been mentioned and you seem to have already found MonoGame. You might want to take a look at this list, although C# isn't heavily represented there. Here's another one.

Edited by Fetze, 14 March 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#7 TheSasquatch   Members   -  Reputation: 452

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Now installed monoGame, and created project, and seeing that xna is included. So it use XNA libs?

As I recall, they've actually recreated XNA's functionality without using -any- XNA code. Otherwise, I think Microsoft's lawyers would have a problem wih MonoGame being open source.

Anyway, XNA is still a great choice for 2D games on Windows-based platforms. If you want cross-platform support, or just feel like learning something new, use MonoGame. Otherwise, for the time being, there's no reason you need to switch from XNA (especially if you've already gotten started with it); it's not going to lose features, it just won't be gaining any new ones.

#8 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 703

2Likes

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

So why choose monogame, if XNA won't be updated?

MonoGame will be (and already has) started to introduce some new features beyond XNA. MonoGame is not tied to XNA anymore since just about full 1:1 code compatibility has pretty much been reached.

Now installed monoGame, and created project, and seeing that xna is included. So it use XNA libs?

MonoGame currently still uses the Microsoft.Xna.Framework namespaces, this will probably change in the future. The main reason why its like this is so people can port their XNA games over to MonoGame with less hassle. This means MonoGame does not use the XNA libraries at all.

Tried to give my friend realeased project, but only gets error.

MonoGame does have some dependancies depending on the platform, but like I said does not require XNA to be installed.
From what I know:
The current released windows platform, which uses OpenGL for rendering, also uses OpenAL, you can google OpenAL that and tell your friend to install that (OpenAL is actually installed when you install MonoGame 3.1. There should be no other dependencies needed. Once the windows directX platform is released the only required dependency that will need to be installed is .net 4.0/4.5.

Or maybe u have to suggest other C# game dev solution?

I think MonoGame would be a good choice, you could also use XNA, no problem with that even if its not going to be updated anymore (you can swap XNA -> MonoGame code bases easily anyway).

The only problem with MonoGame at the moment is that the content pipeline is still missing (I think it will be available soon though).

Edited by Xanather, 15 March 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#9 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3111

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

XNA is mature and not dead.

XNA will be used and implemented for years to come. 

MonoGame is actively evolving and the community is growing.

Unity 3D is based on Mono.  C# is slowing growing in usage for games.  If you like the language, then use it.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#10 Nick Gravelyn   Members   -  Reputation: 846

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

According to an email sent on 31 January 2013, XNA is no longer actively being developed, and it is not supported under the new "Metro interface" layers of Windows 8 nor on the Windows RT platform.

Right but it was never supported on WinRT (which is the Windows 8 "metro" environment) so it's not as if they are removing support. XNA is still a supported framework for all platforms on which it was ever supported. If its current feature set (including supported platforms) meet your needs, there is no need to avoid using it. Lack of future updates does not automatically render it useless.

Edited by Nick Gravelyn, 20 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS