• Create Account

GameDev Server Errors

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Is it just me or are others receiving driver errors and server down errors a lot recently?

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Nope, I've gotten them as well.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2185

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

I also get plain text sometimes.

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

I also get plain text sometimes.

I normally get Pac Man.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9267

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

I usually get a few minutes of Pacman, followed by an SQL driver error until the forum is back up.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#6 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5433

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

The red ghost is supposed to move faster than the other ghosts though, so it's not proper pacman.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#7 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

The red ghost is supposed to move faster than the other ghosts though, so it's not proper pacman.

Lots of things should happen: http://home.comcast.net/~jpittman2/pacman/pacmandossier.html

#8 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31799

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Every single day at 3:30pm Melbourne, Aus time, GD.net goes down for me -- Pac man, then SQL errors.
Until recently, it happened at 4:30pm -- did daylight savings time change in the US recently?

#9 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2126

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Last Saturday/Sunday.

#10 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

all this is pretty annoying IMO...

better to have a site that doesn't periodically die on everyone...

#11 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5450

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

all this is pretty annoying IMO...

better to have a site that doesn't periodically die on everyone...

Well.. yes.   I can verify that this is indeed better.  rolleyes.gif

It happens at 12:15 AM-12:45 AM EST every day.  I'm not entirely sure what is causing it yet.   My guess is that it is caused by a backup of our servers by our host as they do a full image backup each night.   The thing is that it is so consistent with timing that it has to be something scheduled.. but cron jobs don't seem to be giving any clues.    I'll keep looking for answers of course.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 16 March 2013 - 07:38 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS