• Create Account

Tutorials for begginers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Good morning folks,

This is my first post but I've been crawling around the forums for a few months now. 

I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm interested in starting to learn a little bit of game development specifically with Java. I'd like to ultimately be able to make a game for Android. I'm not looking to publish it or make any money; I just want to learn. I'm looking for something simple to start with like Pong.

With that said I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a few good updated tutorials geared towards Java. I've found some okay ones but they are all outdated. I looked into a few books but I can't afford them at the moment. Maybe in a few months but right now it's not feasible for me. 

I'm asking for help because I'm getting frustrated finding anything. I may be overlooking things and if I am, I apologize. Any help is always appreciated.

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5265

1Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Do you already know Java?

If so, go check out Slick. They have a series of tutorials available as well.

#3 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I know the basics and enough to understand tutorials. I haven't done much with graphics so far. My biggest problem at this point is that Java is so API driven. I understand the code structure and things like that. I've resigned myself to knowing that I'm going to have to learn the various Java APIs and what they all do and not look at doing so much myself. It's a different way of thinking from C and Basic. I'm dabbling in graphics a bit with swing and awt. Needless to say I have a lot to learn yet.

With that said, thanks. I'll take a look at Slick and read up on it. If nothing else it at least points me in a direction so I thank you very much.

#4 Poigahn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 518

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

There are many lanquages out there, many are being tailored to publishing on the phone devices.  If you are looking into learning more on any language, stay tuned to this Web-Site as they are in the process of developing a tutorial depository. 

Besides that you could search this site on passed articles involving JAVA or check out the Journals posted here.  That is normally what I do before posting a question.  I figure if I thought of a question or topic then someone else may have also.  then I search for my topic Description.  WARNING:  < This is meant to funny... > DO Not Search For the Topic : "I AM A NOOBIE",  I am most certain you will get a thousand hits.

If you know C++ and Basic, check a a language called MONKEY.  It is supposed to be design for writing XBOX360 PS3 and Androids.

Microsoft also has Software in designed for android

Also Google Programming Languages for AnDroid Apps

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

#5 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1533

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

As much as I love Slick, if you are just going to move to android later, why spend time trying to learn a library you won't use?

There is nothing wrong with using it as a learning tool, but don't think it is a step you need to take before you move on to android, get started with android right away.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#6 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1533

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

DO Not Search For the Topic : "I AM A NOOBIE"

And yes, the word "noob" is way over used in the beginner's forum...don't ever start a topic like that...you will be eternally disrespected. mellow.png

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#7 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

DO Not Search For the Topic : "I AM A NOOBIE"

And yes, the word "noob" is way over used in the beginner's forum...don't ever start a topic like that...you will be eternally disrespected. mellow.png

Well since you bring it up, I am a noob...

I kid, I kid. But I understand what you mean.

At this point I'm just in the realm to learn more. I think learning how to use swing and awt, along with action listeners, would be a good start. I also think game programming would just be fun and forces me to think of creative ways to solve issues. I'm interested in learning Android because mobile is the future of development at this point. It's projected to create a lot of jobs over the next 10 years. I want to stick with Java at the moment until I get a better grasp and then branch out to other languages. Android is a good fit with Java at the moment.

Eventually I want to start dabbling in other prominent languages like c# and what not. But my journey is just beginning. I don't want to get too ahead of myself yet.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS