• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

The games that everybody writes.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

#1 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 764

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

What are games you see written over and over again?

Here's my list to get you started:

Breakout/Arkanoid

Snake/Tron lightcycle

Tic Tac Toe

Pocket Tanks(power and angle shooter like angrybirds)

Edited by latch, 18 March 2013 - 09:46 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6318

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

pong, tetris.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 moneal2001   Members   -  Reputation: 617

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

pac-man

#4 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

30Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Crash to Desktop is wildly popular amongst beginners and experts alike.

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21159

6Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Here's a thread a few months ago you might loot from.

Here's a thread from a few years ago, but it's interestingly formatted and would be great if it was revived, expanded, and refined.

@Haps: I enjoy that one so much, I've snuck that entire game as a hidden feature in all my projects. laugh.png

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 17 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#6 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 764

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I do mobile apps and CTD is difficult there, but Force Closes are easy!

For years, I have seen common games and said to myself, "There's another one!" and I thought it would be interesting to find other coder's commonly encountered(or written) games.

That and I 'review' unknown apps on my blog and its app and I avoid commonly written apps for that site.

#7 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3986

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

@Haps: I enjoy that one so much, I've snuck that entire game as a hidden feature in all my projects. laugh.png

Man, i thought i was the only one=-)

Asteroid/space invaders i'd say is a beginner one as well.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#8 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

I don't know about games that are only written (you already covered the typical beginner projects).

For stuff that you can buy on steam and on retail (the publishers can confirm somebody wrote them), i'd say

- First Person Shooters (3D pointing and unprojected clicking based action games)

- Real Time Strategy games (Scrolling and build-order based action games)

- MMOs (You know, ripping players of their money while making them feel they're a part of a bigger community)

- Arcade tetrisish games (Title often random combination of [gem, jewel, gold, diamond] and [quest, mania, rush, panic, puzzler])

Otherwise;

- Browser-based business games. (Like MMOs, but by developers with lower budgets and more obvious marketing schemes.)

It's been years since I last saw a good tic-tac-toe on retail.

Edited by SuperVGA, 18 March 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#9 Lightness1024   Members   -  Reputation: 739

1Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

worms/gorilla

solar striker

frog

#10 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1778

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Breakout
Asteroids

Space Invaders
Hunt the Wumpus
Match 3

Boggle
Tetris

Snake
Scorched Earth / Worms clones

Sokoban

That isn't to say that non of these clones / beginner games arn't cool or have origional features there are some really good Match3 or Breakout games out there.

The one game that I think there is too many of is:
Generic RPGs (there really are millions of these, the overall mechanic is the same from epic 3d right down to text based)

Edited by Buster2000, 18 March 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#11 Jutaris   Members   -  Reputation: 478

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Surprised no one's mentioned 2-Stick shooter (Geometry Wars, I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1, etc...)

They're pretty common these days, especially on XBLIG.

Edited by Jutaris, 18 March 2013 - 08:22 AM.

My Site -- My Music  -- My Ramblings -- My Game

Basic Flying Rules:Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

#12 Plethora   Members   -  Reputation: 679

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Surprised no one's mentioned 2-Stick shooter (Geometry Wars, I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1, etc...)

They're pretty common these days, especially on XBLIG.

Ya know, for arcadey type games, 2-Stick shooters are among my favorites.  I think I put more quarters into Smash TV than any other game in the local arcade back in the day.

I'm working on a game!  It's called "Spellbook Tactics".  I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc.  I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

#13 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

1Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

- MMOs (You know, ripping players of their money while making them feel they're a part of a bigger community)

Why the chip on your shoulder regarding MMOs?

#14 ByteTroll   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1508

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Pong, Pac-Man and blocks (because God forbid, we call it Tetris)!

@Haps: That one finds its way into almost every piece of software I write!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I see the future in 1's and 0's
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

#15 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 764

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

Strange no one said Hangman or picture slide puzzles..

I've written all of the ones in my op except tic tic toe- some a few times on different platforms.

This one I have written 3 times:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flatank.deux

A mixture of Tron Tanks and Atari Combat.

Edited by latch, 19 March 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#16 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Why the chip on your shoulder regarding MMOs?

I was in a  cynical mood when I posted it. smile.png -Still think MMOs belong on the list, though.

Not as a common beginner project (well, maybe that too) but as a written project.

#17 iMalc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2314

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Wow, although I haven't been a games programmer for some time now, looking through the list so far I've done about 90% of them, and the rest I've never heard of.
I also did a Sonic the Hedgehog clone "Tonic the Mouse", back in the day, so basically I'd throw the category of any "2D platformer" in there.
One other type of game I made early on was a maze game, the kind where you can only see a certain radius around you. So add "Maze game" to the list.

I'm surprised Tetris didn't make the list in the first post. That would be the first thing many people think of. I thought mine was so cool once I got self-playing mode working. Oh if only I had the time to start writing games again...
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

#18 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8281

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Crash to Desktop is wildly popular amongst beginners and experts alike.

Chase The Bad Pointer is another one that everyone does.  Most of us end up rewriting that one many times over, in fact.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#19 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 764

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm surprised Tetris didn't make the list in the first post.

Tetris didn't make the list in my first post because it didn't exist yet when I started coding.

Edited by latch, 19 March 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#20 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Wow, although I haven't been a games programmer for some time now, looking through the list so far I've done about 90% of them, and the rest I've never heard of.
I also did a Sonic the Hedgehog clone "Tonic the Mouse", back in the day, so basically I'd throw the category of any "2D platformer" in there.
One other type of game I made early on was a maze game, the kind where you can only see a certain radius around you. So add "Maze game" to the list.
I'm surprised Tetris didn't make the list in the first post. That would be the first thing many people think of. I thought mine was so cool once I got self-playing mode working. Oh if only I had the time to start writing games again...

Tetris didn't make the list in my first post because it didn't exist yet when I started coding.

I'm curious to know what you mean by this! :D

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS