• Create Account

Client-side Question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 brianko0401   Members   -  Reputation: 209

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hi! I just began programming and I had a few questions...

1. What is client-side and server-side? And what are the applications of these two?

2. What programs are used to do client and server side?

3. For game development, which one would I need?

4. Is either Client-side or server-side made by personally programming it, or is it some tool that you can download off the web?

THANK YOU

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6122

3Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

1. Clientside is anything that runs on the client (The players machine).

Serverside is anything that runs on a sever somewhere, either on a LAN or on the internet, hosted either by the developer/publisher or by a third party.

2. Any compiler for any programming language is capable of doing both.

3. Singleplayer games are entierly clientside(or should be, there are exceptions), multiplayer games usually have both clientside and serverside components (peer to peer games are a bit of a special case).

4. Both are made by you personally programming it, There are tools and libraries that may simplify or solve specific problems for you. (Without knowing what those specific problems are it is virtually impossible to make any recommendation though)

Edited by SimonForsman, 18 March 2013 - 09:49 AM.

I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS