• Create Account

Isometric character rotation question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mark0   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hello. If anyone could point me to good examples (if there are) on character animation and code design of game like Alien Shooter.

What i guess is that they made character animation originally in 3D and then rendered out 2D sprite sheets so it looks like 2.5D (isometric). After that i can't figure out how many directions character have. 8 directions would for sure look glitchy. Yet in Alien Shooter character rotate smoothly while following mouse position.

In Zombie Shooter 2 they have feature to change color part of character clothes. So is this 3D game or fancy 2D?

With current skill i have i could imagine possible workflow like this:

- Make model and animation in 3D graphics software.

- Render 16* directions of about 12* motion images and make one sprite sheet.

That could look like nonsense. If 2 different characters being able to stand idle, run, die, hold 3 different items, get and take damage with items in hands, the amount of sprite sheets would be around 30! So that's 30 large images loaded into memory and no doubt it would look bad.

Here's YouTube video of Alien Shooter gameplay: 

I have skills with Visual Basic, C and Java but instead of code snippets it would be great to see source project of this. If nothing does anyone have better idea for workflow?

Sponsor:

#2 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2940

4Likes

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

That looks like 2D pre-rendered. Note that in contrast to the player character the other sprites didn't have the same detail requirements. Also, this doesn't look like 32bpp color, which saves a lot of space. The player character looks like it's using 8 directions. I'm not sure why you think that would have to look 'glitchy'. It looks like they did the legs separately from the torso, and then just swap the torso sheet when the weapon is changed. This is larger in terms of resources than a small project, but I don't think it's quite as large as you think. The spritesheet for the legs would contain all of the leg animations and then one more sheet for every version of the torso. If we figure the legs as using 64x128 cells and we have 8 directions and 4-step animations that's a 512x512 sheet. In 32bpp that's exactly 1MB in memory. The torso looks larger, but even if it's twice as large in both directions that's only 4MB for the sheet. Cutting back to 16bpp chops those sizes in half.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS