Java Insight for a Beginner

Started by
-1 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years ago

Hello,

smile.png

For a job project, I am working on a 2D game based on jMonkey. OpenGL 2.1 and JDK 6 with Neatbeans 7.3 comes for the latest jMonkey that I have. Game will be cross platform on Windows XP or higher and Macs at first and eventually on mobiles. LAN capability would be nice early but a definite need in about a year or less from today.

The game will be heavy user interface involved because it will be text based. To be able to click on the titles of text passages or answer selections will be a must and I would like to plan for mobile or tablet users to be able to touch select in place of clicking on the selections. Basically, the user reads the text in the user interface and makes a selection about what to do. In certain situations, an image would appear in the interface which corresponds with a particular selection. Later at the end of the game, their performance is evaluated and summarized for them. I want to leave open the possibility of adding sound in the future. A custom editor for configuring the game, changing, and added content will be a must. The game must have modular coding in order to swap or turn coding on or off. For many Java programmers out there this would be fairly straight and easy, but for me switching from C# to Java at still a beginner level it will be a welcomed challenge.

The Question:

May I have basic suggestions that I could use from you to help me navigate in this game development with Java and also pitfalls to beware?

Should I target Java Runtime or just focus only on OpenGL implementation?

smile.png

The Dreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement