• Create Account

The name of that floating-up fading number UI thingy?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 coder0xff   Members   -  Reputation: 225

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

When a numeric value appears above an opponent for the amount of damage you've done, and floats up slowly while fading out. Or when you gain XP, or earn money, or a myriad of other things. Is there a common name for this floating value thingy?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

Sponsor:

#2 Zipster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 679

3Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I've always known it as floating/floaty text. Not sure if this is an industry-standard term, or if such a standard term even exists, but that nomenclature seems to get the point across well enough :)

#3 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5374

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Call it whatever you like. Alert may be a good name?

You know the pop up messages you get when someone signs in to messenger or whatever? You know what they called that? Toaster pop up notification ;) They even have a system wide Toast mutex you should try and claim before you pop your own up (so you don't get loads trying to pop up at the same time).

Edited by Paradigm Shifter, 19 March 2013 - 04:09 PM.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19568

2Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Sometimes, 'damage indicators', but there's no common name, afaik.

[Edit:] No wait, 'damage indicator' is the screen-space red flash to tell you what direction damage came from.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 19 March 2013 - 04:28 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2827

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

We call them TINs or Target INdicators.
Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#6 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

2Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Floating text is the name I'm most familiar with.

#7 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1970

2Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Floating combat text is what it's called in World of Warcraft.

#8 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2208

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

If I remember correctly, in the Warcraft III World Editor (which lets you build your own mods to Warcraft III, e.g. DotA), Blizzard's programmers just called it 'Floating Text'.  I think the name is general and descriptive enough.

#9 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3399

3Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

The technical, generic name for rendering that thing is "billboard", which applies not only to text but to almost anything else that is 2D being rendererd in a 3D world, often oriented towards the camera regardless of the angle you're looking from (but not necessarily).

#10 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19568

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

'billboard' is one implementation method that can used to display them in a 3D game, but the interface/design/concept is very common in 2D games too (going back many years).

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#11 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3399

1Likes

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

'billboard' is one implementation method that can used to display them in a 3D game, but the interface/design/concept is very common in 2D games too (going back many years).

Yeah, I was referring to the "technical term" for rendering them in 3D. As an interface/design concept, the term billboard is not accurate. It wasn't clear whether the OP wanted to know how to render it, or how it should be called in a design doc., an in-game tutorial, etc

#12 EricMarsh   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

I guess this would be akin to something like WoW's scrolling combat text; damage and healing numbers popping up on screen located near their point of origin, etc. If I'm not mistaken, most games render those to their HUD, same layer of their general GUI, as two-dimensional entities. You might want to check out some of the modding communities for popular MMOs to see if they have any of their source code open so you can poke around and see how it works.

#13 bollµ   Members   -  Reputation: 354

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

floating text is what Warcraft 3's world editor called it. 

a WIP 2d game engine: https://code.google.com/p/modulusengine/

English is not my first language, so do feel free to correct me :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS