• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Can't figure out an unique and exciting idea for a computing project

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mafioso   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 182

1Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hi, for the past weeks I was thinking of an idea for a project associated with programming to do over the summer. This project can involve anything, from a sophisticated algorithm to a small video game, as long as I can write 5000 words about it and keep myself motivated. I enjoy mostly everything to do with video games, i.e. visual stuff and I assume you guys do to smile.png, that's why I'm asking this here.

So far I've came up with ideas, such as programming Fractals, or making a simulation of Game of Life, but these aren't very unique or exciting ideas and I assume it would be hard to write 5000 words about them.

I have 2+ years of experiance with C++/DirectX/Ogre3d Graphics Engine, but I plan to use Java for this, because I was told that doing something that I don't know is better and It's generaly easier to use Java for a project like this.

If anyone can drop an idea they think is great, bad, fun or involves some interesting maths/computing concept, any video game idea or even an inspiring website happy.png,  please do. I would be really grateful, as this is really important to me. If I will come up with something new, I will post it here.

Thank you very much smile.png.

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9299

2Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

This project can involve anything,

It's generaly easier to use Java for a project like this.

So in other words, someone told you Java was easier to use for everything. I smell fanboyism!

But in any case, how about trying to combine elements from two different ideas? That's how good ideas generally come. For instance, you mention fractals and the game of life - what would they look like together? Perhaps a game of life simulation warped around on a fractal surface, for interesting and unique visuals? Another idea: snake and... pacman? Snake with enemies? Not exactly unique, I admit, but it's getting better. Now if you need sophistication, how about a fully 3D fluid simulation? You can also create some gameplay to go with it, too.

Whatever you end up doing, it will always - always - be derived from something you've already seen or heard about. That's how the human brain works. That's also why sitting around thinking about game ideas rarely yields anything of interest. You need to look around, and manufacture innovative gameplay by connecting ideas together.

Here is a last one to really get you going: a four dimensional maze game. You could write about how humans have difficulties navigating such environments, and show how it can give rise to interesting gameplay, you could also experiment with the use of ambient music and atmosphere and its impact on the problem solving skills of the average human being, if that's your thing (psychology student, maybe). I'm guessing there's a lot to write about here.

And finally, if you are really passionate about an idea, you won't have any trouble writing 5000 words on it, so I wouldn't sweat the final report since it should not be a problem if you chose something you find really interesting.

There was an inspirational usenet post somewhere but I can't dig it up sad.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 Mafioso   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for a response Bacterius

So in other words, someone told you Java was easier to use for everything. I smell fanboyism!

biggrin.png No one told me that, I just blindly assumed that and that's not the main reason why I chose java, it's because I was told that using something brand new is better than taking what you already know.

Now if you need sophistication, how about a fully 3D fluid simulation? You can also create some gameplay to go with it, too.

That's way too hard to code, isn't it? It involves a lot of physics and it won't end up being very exciting, if I would do that.

a four dimensional maze game

Mmm... What? biggrin.png How can a maze be four dimensional? Did you mean a moving maze? You're right, it's more for a psychology student, I'm not very interested in that though.

I thought this through and decided to make a game, since it's what I'm the most passionate about. All I need is a good idea that I could easily present and write about. I've came up with a fast-paced ninja game, however it doesn't sound very unique or unseen, so I'm still thinking about this sad.png, please help.

If anyone have any ideas, please drop them down here, you would help me a lot, thank you.

#4 ShereModulus   Members   -  Reputation: 113

1Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

I agree with Bacterius, what he said reminds of a quote from Jim Jarmusch:

Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery – celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.” ”

—Jim Jarmusch

I like the idea of combining different, supposedly unrelated things together and seeing what happens. But even if you do something straightforward like the Game of Life, think of how many people there are that wouldn't be able to code that! It's actually not very "common" at all. And 5000 words isn't that much; if something is common there must be a reason, talk about how people use in the real world, or it's impact. How the Game of Life relates to AI and biology or something. Here's a different angle, since it's so common, has it outlived its usefulness? Are people going to continue to find it interesting, or will they move on to a replacement of some sort?

Edited by ShereModulus, 24 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#5 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3064

1Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Mmm... What? biggrin.png How can a maze be four dimensional? Did you mean a moving maze?

I think he means four spatial dimensions: up/down, left/right, forward/back, ana/kata. That's actually kind of a rad idea if you're in to hyper-spatial physics. I saw something like that on a website once. The maze was incredibly simple to look at and damn near impossible to solve.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS