• Create Account

DX11 Instancing - Only render certain instances

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1509

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi guys!

So, imagine you have a scene with 1000 trees and your rendering it with instancing, quite a lot, and you wan't to implement a lod system. Now your lod system is actually done, but now how do you change the buffers for that tree (the one too far away).

Illustration (real):
2uqd6px.png

Now as you see I have quite a lot of trees there, but now I only wan't some of those trees from my instanced buffer to be rendered. As I understand you have to update the buffer, but wouldn't that be quite heavy, or do I have to split up the instanced buffer into chunks, and update those? Right below I'm gonna show you how I handle my rendering.

Rendering:

UberBuffer._instance = true;
UberShader.SendObjectBuffer(ObjectBuffer, devcon);
UberShader.SendUberBuffer(UberBuffer, devcon);
InstancedMesh[i]->SendInstancedData(ObjectBuffer, Camera, Bufferphase, devcon); // doesn't really matter for now, but if you wan't it, say it :)

bool changed = false;

for (int lod = -1; lod < InstancedMesh[i]->Lods.GetCount(); lod++) // we start from -1 as some meshes don't have lods, so we actually trick it!
{
	if (changed)
	{
		InstancedMesh[i]->SendBuffers(devcon, dev, Camera, ObjectBuffer, Bufferphase);
		changed = false;
	}

if (lod > -1) // is this a lod?
	{
		for (int instance = 0; instance < InstancedMesh[i]->instanceCount; instance++)
		{
			if (sqrtf(D3DXVec3Dot(&*Camera->GetPostion(), &InstancedMesh[i]->instances[instance].pos)) >= InstancedMesh[i]->Lods.GetComputedADistance(lod)) // distance...
			{
				InstancedMesh[i]->Lods.GetComputedLod(lod)->SendVIBuffers(devcon, dev, Bufferphase); // new vertex buffer
				changed = true;

// DO SOME STUFF HERE
			}
		}
	}

UberShader.SendConstantBuffers(devcon);
	UberShader.Render(devcon, Bufferphase, true, InstancedMesh[i]->instanceCount); // Render Instanced, one line of code: devcon->DrawInstanced(Bufferphase.IndexCount, instanceCount, 0, 0);

for (int inSM = 0; inSM < (InstancedMesh[i]->SubMeshes.size()); inSM++) // Sub meshes, doesn't really matter so much for now, I'll take care of those.
	{
		InstancedMesh[i]->SendSubBuffers(devcon, dev, Camera, ObjectBuffer, Bufferphase, inSM);
		UberShader.Render(devcon, Bufferphase, true, InstancedMesh[i]->instanceCount);
	}
} 

Now for each Lod i check all the instances for the distance, and if the distance is larger, then apply the different vertex buffer. But somehow I only need to apply this vertex buffer to the instances affected by it!

Now how is this possible? blink.png

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4843

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would try to just use two different vertex buffers, and you can stick with a single instance buffer.  The trick is to reshuffle your instance data to have all of the high LOD instances in a continuous block, while the lower LOD instances should be in a separate block (you could just as easily implement this with two instance buffers I guess...).  This takes two draw calls, but that isn't a big deal.

This would require modifying the data in the buffers, but it would only be necessary once in a while when the view is significantly moved.  If you store your instances in an intelligent order (like in a quadtree fashion) then moving the data around should be minimally intrusive and will let you quickly get through the update.

#3 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1509

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Alright got it working, thanks for pointing the way!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS