• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Malware alert!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9061

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm getting this cute malware alert in chromium when I hit the website when it's down. I'm guessing it's the pacman flash game.

121u0wg.jpg

Does anyone else get that?

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've never gotten that. I primarily use Chrome on OS X (I wonder if Chromium behaves differently than Chrome in this case?).

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31021

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Yeah I've been getting it over about the past week when loading the pac man / downtime game. The site which that game originates from is apparently in bad standing with google.

#4 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4922

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Well, Chrome itself is malware, so ignore that. Use Firefox.

(Sigh... inevitably someone will now feel urged to defend Chrome. I can see it coming.

Therefore some explanation: software which installs secretly without the user's consent (in fact, against the user's explicit opt-out) on a scheduled antivirus program update (Avast 7), and which upon finishing its covert install -- again, secretly, and without user consent, changes critical system settings (default internet browser and start page) demonstrates some very obvious malware behaviour. Software that demonstrates malware behaviour is malware.).

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31021

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Sounds more like Avast is the malware in that case -- they're the ones fucking with your system, not Google. They've also silently installed other software in the past...

Do you have a citation for that case btw? The only one I found was this, which is a case where you can opt out if you're paying attention, just like all those other sleazy browser toolbar plugin funded freeware installers, except in this case they ask at the beginning, and then again at the end only if you said no the first time...

Sigh... inevitably someone will now feel urged to defend Chrome. I can see it coming.

If so, you can thank yourself for starting the 'my browser is better than yours' fight tongue.png

Edited by Hodgman, 21 March 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#6 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4922

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Not only a citation, this is something that happened to me personally. It will install Chrome by default, but you can opt out, which I did. I also made sure that it has "do not use Chrome" checked in the settings. Upon updating version 7 to 8 a month or so ago, it installed Chrome anyway (silently, and without asking). You are right insofar as this is a serious fuck-up from the side of Avast in the first place.

However, also, Google Chrome secretly changed the default browser to itself upon completing install (and the start page, of course), and that's not something one can blame on someone else. Even Internet Exploder asks you whether it's allowed to do such a thing.

I wrote a support ticket (being a paying idiot customer) and the answer I got was "Yeah, you can opt out, and anyway if you are not happy with Chrome's features you can still uninstall it again". Which of course doesn't help if opting out is being ignored, and uninstalling a program that has already changed/overwritten an unknown number of registry keys and/or system files really isn't an applicable solution compared to not installing it in the first place (when you didn't want it).

t's not about being unhappy with Chrome's features either, it's being unhappy that people at major software companies think they own your computer. If someone changes your system settings, they had better ask for permission first.

#7 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1798

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Sadly many programs nowadays install useless preloaders that slow down booting and "forced on you" autoupdaters that phone home every minute and then download and install stuff without asking and at the worst moment.

Back then you could choose if you wanted some update, download it yourself, make a backup if you wanted so you didnt have to download it again after a reinstall, choose which update you want to install so you didnt have to use the newest version with possibly new bugs although the older version was working already or just because you didnt even use the program for a while or choose an appropriate time for an update so it didnt interrupt your work or force a reboot on you on the worst moment. Also you didnt have programs hog and hook your browser which you just wanted to use alone and not as a plugin that slows or nearly crashes the browser down needlessly like acrobat or weird seemingly purposeless MS plugins for Firefox without deinstall button.sad.png

#8 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9061

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

(Sigh... inevitably someone will now feel urged to defend Chrome. I can see it coming.

Therefore some explanation: software which installs secretly without the user's consent (in fact, against the user's explicit opt-out) on a scheduled antivirus program update (Avast 7), and which upon finishing its covert install -- again, secretly, and without user consent, changes critical system settings (default internet browser and start page) demonstrates some very obvious malware behaviour. Software that demonstrates malware behaviour is malware.).

I'll just put this here, but Chromium isn't Chrome. So I'm not sure why you even brought up the "Chrome is malware" argument, but I guess it is a more interesting topic. I'm not too fussed about the warning itself, which is rather benign, as I'm under Linux most of the bad stuff isn't even targeted at me, I was just curious to see if other people got that, and to give a heads up to the staff. Clearly Google has this site on its blacklist for some reason, even if the pacman game itself is.. well.. just a game, a priori.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#9 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'll just put this here, but Chromium isn't Chrome. So I'm not sure why you even brought up the "Chrome is malware" argument, but I guess it is a more interesting topic. I'm not too fussed about the warning itself, which is rather benign, as I'm under Linux most of the bad stuff isn't even targeted at me, I was just curious to see if other people got that, and to give a heads up to the staff. Clearly Google has this site on its blacklist for some reason, even if the pacman game itself is.. well.. just a game, a priori.

Want... to... vote... this... up...

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#10 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2227

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

@Cornstalks, find another post made by the same user and vote it up instead!

I got a message similar to that a day or two ago, and I use Chrome (not Chromium).  I didn't even know there was a pac-man game that I could have played...I feel cheated!

#11 boolean   Members   -  Reputation: 1714

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm using Chrome and I'm getting the same malware warning. Like Jefferson, I didn't even know there was a pac-man game!

Any way that gdnet can remove the offending game/banner?

[Android] Stupid Human Castles - If Tetris had monsters with powers and were attacking human castles. "4/5 - frandroid.com"

Full version and Demo Version available on the Android app store.

#12 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20308

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I use Chrome and play pacman to my heart's content* when gamedev.net goes down, oftentimes laughing at Boolean's pacman-less error pages while doing so. tongue.png

*'my heart's content', when it comes to pacman, is very low. I vote GameDev.net puts Lode Runner on the error page instead.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3945

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

*'my heart's content', when it comes to pacman, is very low. I vote GameDev.net puts Lode Runner on the error page instead.

why not make it randomly select a game from a pool of different games, then we'll have an assortment of games to keep us occupied when gamedev goes down=-)

Edited by slicer4ever, 31 March 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#14 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2117

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

The pacman site probably has some .htaccess files that were modified to redirect to known malware sites and as a result is considered malware. I've had that happen before.

#15 SlamDrag   Members   -  Reputation: 111

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

(on the note of chrome being malware)

Chrome does install Chrome updates without telling you (super annoying, as it bogs down my computer quite a bit, I have to manually exit the process from task manager if it gets really bad). So yes, it does install software without alerting the user.

BUUUUT on the subject of pac man, I do not get malware warnings at all.

#16 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

I did get an unusual message while trying to log on, first of its kind with IE10, forgot what it was, didn't seem important (far too trusting of me) but it did hide that annoying captcha when attempting to reset password. Something about secure content only being loaded or something.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS