• Create Account

Steps on How to Become a game Developer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

-2Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

[Update 1]

Part 3 just released. watch it. this part is about the first steps, and the video game elements. and I also added a short BIO of myself in the YouTube video's descriptions.
don't forget to Like and Subscribe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPwWVO7o7o

logoqvd.png

Steps on how to become a game developer

This is the new series of YouTube videos that started with a single question: “How can I become a Game Developer?”

These series starts with a simple routine in the early parts. In these parts we mention how these tutorials are created and what are they based on.  In these parts we also show you the first steps on the way of becoming a game developer. These tutorials will teach you about video game development team, different roles in the team, how video games do created, or even some very basic knowledge like the definition of the game.

After these basics we go on and actually work with game engines, we’ll teach you the basics of programming and creating visual arts, and then from these levels we’ll transcend into the higher and professional ones. You will understand the level designing, programming in C#, C++, Python, Java & etc., working with 3D softwares like 3Dsmax and Maya, and the skills in different part of creating a video game.

In my own opinion (and maybe so many others’ too) creating and developing a video game is the hardest skill between the computer skills.  These skills should be learnt throw a class, or with a mentor. What is better than a free online class of learning video game developing? These videos (Our classes) are created in a classified order, and also some fun theme had been added to these, so you can have a fun and useful time while you’re learning.

Plus the technical tutorials we will also have some lessons about how to create and optimize your story for the video games, how to create characters, how to draw the levels in the best way on the paper, and so many other game designing tutorials too. So we can call it a step by step Game Developing Tutorial.

So this is going to be a series of videos, with hours and hours of videos that is going to go on YouTube. We will try our best to put a new video in every week. So please follow us throw YouTube by SUBSCRIBING us on “MobinS VGV” Channels.  All of the videos of “Steps on How to Become a Game Developer” ‘s series going to come up on MobinS VGV(Video Games’ Videos) , so please subscribe us from channels so you can follow these videos. Here is Link to the channel:

http://youtube.com/MobinSVGV

and please also like us on Facebook , cause as you know these videos are created without any budget , so the only thing that can make us happy is ONLY your support , so PLEASE Like us on Facebook , and Subscribe us on YouTube. Here is link to the Facebook page:

http://facebook.com/StepsOnHowToBecomeAGameDeveloper

And this is video #1 that is the introduction. Sorry for the low video and audio quality, as the videos went on, we tried to develop and upgrade their features. This is the Link to the first two parts of series:

(Introduction)

(Basics)

So follow us and be ready for the next videos on the channel. And please if you have any suggestion or criticism that you want to tell us, please contact us though YouTube or Facebook and we will answer you as soon as we can do. So please support us by clicking the Subscribe and Like buttons, and please send this text to your friend that you think these videos going to be useful for them. Hope you have a good day/night/day/night, Bye!

Mobin Shakeri

mobinswide.png

Edited by MobinS, 29 March 2013 - 04:50 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5253

13Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Um, OK, up front I want you to realize that this feedback is meant entirely in a polite manner, I am not in the slightest attacking you.

First, I would highly suggest you get your look right from day one.  If your video is washed out and hard to watch initially, people wont stick around to see if they improve.  So this: Sorry for the low video and audio quality, as the videos went on, we tried to develop and upgrade their features is a major mistake.  If anything, you should put your most time and effort into your first video, those are the ones people will evaluate on.

Second, you don't have commercial rights to any of the music you are using, be careful there, you *CAN* be sued.  Although the more likely outcome is that your videos will be yanked from YouTube for using infringing music.  Don't get me wrong, millions of youtube videos do it, but then, millions of videos get taken down too...  The music is tertiary to what you are trying to do, so little sense risking a take down order over something that adds little to the end result.

Third, and this is going to sound most harsh...  do you know about game design, development or asset creation?  Too many of these types of projects become a simple matter of the blind leading the blind.  I skimmed your first two videos and found very little of actual substance that indicates that you are particularly knowledgeable about any of those key subjects.  I am not saying you aren't, I am simply say your videos to this point don't really make it clear.  If you do in fact have these technical skills, I would highly suggest your front load your videos so people can SEE that you have the skills you are talking about, making it worthwhile to invest the time in your series.

Finally, I realize that not everyone is English as a first language and I recognize the difficulties that can present.  This isn't a matter of accent, I found your pronunciation clear enough, but your choice of wording or more critically, your written language above is much more difficult to understand.  In most cases, this isn't really a huge deal, but when talking about tutorials about highly technical subjects, it is very important to be as clear and concise as possible.  If you are working from a script, you may want to have it vetted first.  If you aren't, perhaps you should consider it... in fact, most video tutorials should.

That said, good luck with the video series.

#3 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

thank you very much. I've found it useful , and yes I know these problems , and well I try my best , hope I get succesful in this way. thanks you , I'll try better on the words and explanations , I realized it before too. about the knowledge yes, but it is not the time , from video number 7 it is going to be more pro as we are going to work with an actual game engine. about the music you are right , hope it doesn't make any trouble , I'm working on a music for my videos. thank you!

#4 Uberwulu   Members   -  Reputation: 150

4Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

You don't seem like a real game developer.  Do you have any credentials to share with your viewers, such as an education and industry experience?  I'm sure they'd like to know why you're someone they should listen to.

#5 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

1Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

You don't seem like a real game developer.  Do you have any credentials to share with your viewers, such as an education and industry experience?  I'm sure they'd like to know why you're someone they should listen to.

you are right.of course I had experiences. I work as game designer , but unfortunately non of our projects had been published, because of so many think , specially financial problem and lack of sponsor. you are right , I actually don't have any published work to show you but I assure you that I had experiences. we are working on a indie game right now, I think we will have our trailer in 6 months , if you want to wait you would see

#6 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

-3Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I really didn't get annoyed with the things that you said , you criticized me and that was good right, but that person who gave me negative mark above really made me sad.
I had made these video , put about half a year on those just for you , even if it is the worst you don't have right to do these actions. it's really impolite and inhumane. I am really sorry for you.

it really hurt me, even the worst work deserves a "Good luck" , not negative mark... I'm really sorry for these actions. after all of these times that I had been working on these series, I see what I deserve...

#7 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5253

2Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I really didn't get annoyed with the things that you said , you criticized me and that was good right, but that person who gave me negative mark above really made me sad.
I had made these video , put about half a year on those just for you , even if it is the worst you don't have right to do these actions. it's really impolite and inhumane. I am really sorry for you.

it really hurt me, even the worst work deserves a "Good luck" , not negative mark... I'm really sorry for these actions. after all of these times that I had been working on these series, I see what I deserve...

I'm not really sure what you are talking about?

#8 StratfordCanning   Members   -  Reputation: 160

1Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I found it oddly compelling.

#9 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

-1Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I mean the -1 , on the main post...

#10 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5253

5Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I mean the -1 , on the main post...

There is no -1.

Besides, don't take that to heart.  Anyone can down vote you for any reason.  In all honesty, if that bothers you that much, you might want to reconsider putting material up on the internet.  I mean, I've been on the receiving end of DDoS attacks because some script kiddy took offense to me insulting his favorite programming language.

THe internet is many things, nice is rarely one of them.  Learn to clean what you can from criticism, but dont take it too personally.

Edited by Serapth, 22 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#11 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1132

5Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think you aren't ready to teach anyone about game development. I read your comment on youtube saying "I actually don't have any published work to show you but I assure you that I had experiences." and I thought to myself: What? This guy has no published games and he is trying to accomplish VERY difficult task of teaching you everything about game development? This is got to be a joke. So I watched your video and the video quality is not very good. I'm not taking about resolution, and lighting or those things, but about how you speak. Some moments are awkward, and others are cheesy. Also sound quality is very low. It is really hard to understand what you are saying.

Almost every fact you gave in this video can be questioned, for example, in the video at 07:40 you said: "Is Life a Game too? no, because it doesn't have any limitation." 

Really? I think it has a lot of limitations. I cant , I can't shoot laser beams out of my eyes. I can't go faster than a speed of light (as far as we know it) I can't do many things in real life because it HAS limitations. 

I'm probably a horrible person for saying all this stuff. But I'm a natural born critic, and nothing passes through my eyes without getting noticed. So sorry if I really insulted you.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#12 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think you aren't ready to teach anyone about game development. I read your comment on youtube saying "I actually don't have any published work to show you but I assure you that I had experiences." and I thought to myself: What? This guy has no published games and he is trying to accomplish VERY difficult task of teaching you everything about game development? This is got to be a joke. So I watched your video and the video quality is not very good. I'm not taking about resolution, and lighting or those things, but about how you speak. Some moments are awkward, and others are cheesy. Also sound quality is very low. It is really hard to understand what you are saying.

Almost every fact you gave in this video can be questioned, for example, in the video at 07:40 you said: "Is Life a Game too? no, because it doesn't have any limitation." 

Really? I think it has a lot of limitations. I cant , I can't shoot laser beams out of my eyes. I can't go faster than a speed of light (as far as we know it) I can't do many things in real life because it HAS limitations. 

I'm probably a horrible person for saying all this stuff. But I'm a natural born critic, and nothing passes through my eyes without getting noticed. So sorry if I really insulted you.

no it is not insulting.
I exactly mentioned why we don't consider those things as a limitation. well by your logic we can never remove the limitation.

see, imagine if you have full access to the laser beam in your eyes, the example that you yourself gave. I give it to you , but are you now a limitless man?  no , cause for example you can not shoot green laser. imagine I give you the green laser ability , now are you limitless? still no , cause for example you don't have something else.
as you see it is never going to end, so we will return to our definition , we should put a rule to control this definition. what is a free man in our definition.  cause we have a LIMIT, and of course we should have the opposite of it too , I mean a place with no limit, let us call it the FREEDOM. so what is this freedom? opposite of that LIMIT?
we have a definition in politics , that  says converting from dictatorship into democratic gov is to move from smaller cage to bigger one.

in here , in this definition we can use the fact above.

see the biggest cage that we can imagine , (in real world , not from paranormal or fantasy worlds) is life. so we consider it as the FREE PLACE or TIME.

now when we put borders and limitation on it , now we are limited.

I explained these things exactly after I said that sentence, the problem is you hear, you start criticizing in your mind , and that action take your attention and you can not resume the listening.
If there is any more dilemma , just replay me. I would be glad to explain anything that been hard to understand.

#13 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

7Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Just gonna put this out there,

I think you should focus on actually publishing a game before teaching others game creation. It just seems incredibly ...  unconvincing. I mean trying to teach people game development when we don't even know if you had made a game before is just ridiculous.

I skipped through some of your tutorials and you missed out a massive part of development, that you need to be able to program games. When I watched your tutorials you made it seems as if as soon as you had a good idea for a game it just magically became created. I personally think you should be telling people how to do something simple, like code a shape and make it move - or something really basic like that. Telling people about game design when they can't design games is utterly pointless. Especially as your tutorials are titled "Steps on How to Become Game Developer" when, for me at least, you missed out the main step. Programming. You could of at least started by explaining to people that games are written in code, what languages there are etc. I think it gives people a kind of false hope when it appears that game creation is as simple as thinking up ideas. Furthermore your videos are filled with unnecessary humor and never get to the point. 

Sorry if I sounded very judgmental and arrogant, this is just my opinion of what I have seen. When I was learning to make games I don't think any of your tutorials would have been any help to me at all. But please do not be disheartened, work on publishing some of your games - even if its just on a online game site that it littered with ads, people are going to want to see some of your work first, especially when a lot of the video comes across as unconvincing. 

#14 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

2Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Please wait. this is not just the only part of these series.

From part 6 we are going to start working on game engine, start programming and lots of other stuffs. be patient please.

#15 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

-2Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

this website's member are just start thinking and acting against me. I'm really sorry for you.

I advertised this videos in so many websites and I get so many good , positive and negative feedback from polite people.

The Only thing that I get from here is "NEGATIVE" , even when I'm explaining the Most important thing in games, limitation.

If you haven't read I don't care, but if you want to act like losers and just put negatives and dislikes on my posts , you are on your own.

it is very rude.I can see it. everyone is acting some kind of weird.

and I know I get some dislikes from this post too. cause who cares , "that guy is posting , boo that shit, he is stupid!!!"

I'm sorry for this website and it's members.

#16 StratfordCanning   Members   -  Reputation: 160

4Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

What's the point of being young if you can't be arrogant sometimes? This lad has put something out there, and good on you Mobin. Just creating something that you believe in already puts you one up on almost all the windbags on the internet, this forum included. I say good luck to you, sir, and keep going. Your next effort will be better, the next will be better still.

Please keep criticism to specifics. So here comes mine: Leave out the funny voices, it's intrusive to the message.

#17 StratfordCanning   Members   -  Reputation: 160

4Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

And I apologise for my previous post on this thread. It was a snide remark and proves that wisdom and courtesy do not always come with age.

#18 MobinS   Members   -  Reputation: 108

2Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

No I didn't mean every body sir. manners bring manners.

No I didn't mean you. There are so many great users in this website, so many of my friend are active user in here.

so many great critised, by JackBid , Serapth and others were really helpful. but is others action right?

Ok dislike this post, I don't actually care. laugh at these videos. I believe in these videos, I put time and money on these videos, I studied a lot and I have lots of thing to say and carry on. I will continue these videos and nothing can even disappoint me even a little.

but I see some action that are even inhumane. when some one worked out hard on something , don't disappoint her/him.don't try to tease him.

and I know because the young age, because I don't have published work(I would have If I wanted, I had so many projects, in teams and solo), and because I'm not native and maybe I don't speak English as well as a native, yeah even I say 2=2 I get dislike and BOOOS .. :|

this is really sick I'm really sorry for some guys here. you didn't understand how to respect.

and dislike as many times as you like , gather your friends and dislike with each other. Ok you are the cool one without any mistake, and I am Just piece of junk.

I don't care. I will carry on. I will respect the one who are polite and respectful, I will use the criticizes, I will thank every one who give me feed back , and I will try to get better.

get better and continue.

#19 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19635

3Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

No I didn't mean every body sir. manners bring manners.

No I didn't mean you. There are so many great users in this website, so many of my friend are active user in here.

so many great critised, by JackBid , Serapth and others were really helpful. but is others action right?

Ok dislike this post, I don't actually care. laugh at these videos. I believe in these videos, I put time and money on these videos, I studied a lot and I have lots of thing to say and carry on. I will continue these videos and nothing can even disappoint me even a little.

but I see some action that are even inhumane. when some one worked out hard on something , don't disappoint her/him.don't try to tease him.

and I know because the young age, because I don't have published work(I would have If I wanted, I had so many projects, in teams and solo), and because I'm not native and maybe I don't speak English as well as a native, yeah even I say 2=2 I get dislike and BOOOS .. :|

this is really sick I'm really sorry for some guys here. you didn't understand how to respect.

and dislike as many times as you like , gather your friends and dislike with each other. Ok you are the cool one without any mistake, and I am Just piece of junk.

I don't care. I will carry on. I will respect the one who are polite and respectful, I will use the criticizes, I will thank every one who give me feed back , and I will try to get better.

get better and continue.

An important lesson to learn, one that often demonstrates your own maturity, is how to deal with criticism.

There are many ways to respond to criticism.

One way is to reply as you did.  You can complain about the criticism.  

Another, much more mature method, is to attempt to learn from the criticism and react to all comments (positive and negative) with a positive response.   Then respond positively to the productive criticisms -- you get more of what you reward.

Edited by frob, 22 March 2013 - 03:30 PM.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#20 JackBid   Members   -  Reputation: 453

3Likes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

this website's member are just start thinking and acting against me. I'm really sorry for you.

I advertised this videos in so many websites and I get so many good , positive and negative feedback from polite people.

The Only thing that I get from here is "NEGATIVE" , even when I'm explaining the Most important thing in games, limitation.

If you haven't read I don't care, but if you want to act like losers and just put negatives and dislikes on my posts , you are on your own.

it is very rude.I can see it. everyone is acting some kind of weird.

and I know I get some dislikes from this post too. cause who cares , "that guy is posting , boo that shit, he is stupid!!!"

I'm sorry for this website and it's members.

I don't think anyone has purposely been rude or negative, just tried to point out how you can improve your videos and teaching ability.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS