• Create Account

Article Competition Prize Ideas Needed

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

When we open up the article system in April to everyone we're going to also hold a competition for "best" article for the month.   All crossbones authors submitting articles now would be included in the competition.  We'll choose a selection of the 10 or so best articles and put them up to a vote in the forums.   The winner will get an award that will show up on their profile and in the forums as well as something physical (at least that's the plan).

I need ideas though for what prizes you think would be pretty cool to have.  What do you think of this idea?  They don't have to be trophies but can be anything really.. thinkgeek.com could be a source, for example.

trophy.png

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 21 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

What the price limit on the prize(s)? Are you talking a mug or a t-shirt? Book of choice? Game of choice? Paid membership fee to Steam Greenlight, Xbox Indie, Apple/Android/Microsoft App Store?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Let's say $350 for now with shipping.   I'm not sure that could be sustained but we can start with that for a first month.   I don't want it to be something that is a gift card type prize but more of a token of appreciation.   We could have a couple options for people to choose from.  

This looks pretty insane:

http://www.epicweapons.com/shop/product.php?productid=16247&cat=253&page=1

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 21 March 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well if that's the case, then I want a lightsaber!

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2727

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I think we need to tier types of rewards otherwise this could turn into a monster of a problem.

Rewards are great. No doubt about it. But we must ensure that the types of rewards given not only reflect the substance of what has been done to earn it but also don't become so easily available that they lose their value.

For example (I apologise for the lack of technical knowledge of whether such things can be done in these suggestions):

Articles that achieve a monthly prize (Such as Article of the Month) might be awarded with all of their posts being covered in Banana (placeholder) decorations which last until the next Article of the month award is given out. A separate page on the profile would record the award and possibly a second banner next to the contributor ribbon- red ribbon (I deliberately chose red as this normally reflects second place whereas the blue ribbon would reflect the first place Article of the year). I very strongly believe we should not get into cash level handouts on a monthly basis unless it remains very token, but should use an inhouse system.

Articles that become recognised for their merits could also be adjusted to reflect a graphic stamp of approval for a valuable article (which while it may not have won a monthly prize was of sufficiently high enough standard (as in gone the extra mile) to earn this recognition as well an addendum to the profile page.

Quarterly reviews if we do generate a lot of article content might be the best point at which to introduce decent cash level prizes i.e. in lines of the links mentioned by you Michael.

Perhaps a Triforce Mass Effect 3 M3 Predator Full Scale Replica?

http://www.amazon.com/Triforce-Effect-Predator-Scale-Replica/dp/B00A72578G/ref=sr_1_16?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1363831697&sr=1-16&keywords=game+replica

A World of Warcraft Doomhammer?

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Doomhammer-Prop-Replica/dp/B008BAMRFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1363831697&sr=1-2&keywords=game+replica

A 300 King Leonidas Helmet?

http://www.amazon.com/Museum-Replicas-881003-Leonidas-Helmet/dp/B001BOTN5M/ref=sr_1_99?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1363831900&sr=1-99&keywords=game+replica

Star Wars Tie Fighter helmet?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Fighter-Collectors-Helmet/dp/B000JLM0YO/ref=sr_1_23?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1363831966&sr=1-23&keywords=game+replica

I like the novelty aspect but they should change around constantly -- or be a choice from a list i.e. a different novelty item list each time. You really don't want Frob taking home his 16th Star Wars Tie Fighter helmet and trying to figure out what do with this one as the last one turned into a terrarium.

Might also create a Hall of champions type page with statues representing each of the winners of the quarterly prizes which alters to reflect the champions each new quarter. The graphic of the statue (placeholder again) clicks through to the profile and the statue's handheld scroll clicks through to the article. 

As to yearly prizes --- this is where I think we might almost consider seeking sponsors for these awards. Make them substantive so that we create and build a lasting legacy upon which we stand here at the start of.....well okay on the bones of the last couple of decades this site has been going...but you get the idea.

#6 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Well if that's the case, then I want a lightsaber!

That thing is like.. $400 minimum.  ;)    I think Stormynature may be right though in terms of opening up a bad can of worms with bigger ticket items.   We don't have the money to do that month after month at the moment but the trophy in my original post is kind of a funny desk item but is at least a direct acknowledgment of the contest itself.  It also wouldn't cost us a lot to produce.

Perhaps we should rely on prize sponsors to contribute some of the prizes and try to make an array of options available that way.  

So far I like these ideas:

• Some type of recognition badge placed on the article itself - "Contest Winner" or something like that
  • A unique identifier for the member who was a winner that appears on their profile and on forum posts
  • Yearly prizes?  Perhaps just have an MVP section where members get recognized that way - I would want this open up to both article writers though and people who help in the forums

More suggestions?  I just want to ensure that the author is sufficiently recognized for their efforts.  Should we have something that we do for runner-ups?

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 21 March 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#7 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2727

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yearly prizes? Perhaps just have an MVP section where members get recognized that way - I would want this open up to both article writers though and people who help in the forums

as well Dev Journal writers imo

#8 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

How about a "big" yearly prize and little monthly prizes. Frankly I like the ideas (for monthly prizes) I came up with in my first post smile.png

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 21 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Spoiler

#9 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

It would be cool if winners could be given an winner's avatar and title (like the GDNet+ or Crossbones+) each time they win. But the end of the month, someone could have 12 avatars and titles to choose from to display at any time.

I wonder if this site could support an Achievements system.....

Spoiler

#10 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2727

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Another suggestion and I cannot really say whether this is practicable given the age of GameDev might be a standing list of long term/valuable contributors from the past up to the present (i.e. in line with something like the Hollywood walk of fame). A way of recognising the contributions made that have earnt a place on this list. No real prize attached to it other than the value of having earnt a place on this list.

PARTNERS