2D Game Design Book?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ludus 11 years ago

Hello, I just wanted to know if there is a book that can help me learn about 2D game design. I am interested in making a 2D game similar to Muramasa: The Demon Blade and I wanted to read more information of how I can fully do so. if there is such a book, please send me a link to it.

I have tried looking everywhere, but a lot of the are focused on 3D design and programming, this isn't something that I am looking for.

P.s. I have knowledge in creating art, but I am trying to figure out how to design the pieces so that they work within the game.

Student at Davenport University.

Major : Game and Simulation programming

Advertisement

Between programming 2D and 3D games, much of the code is the same. The structure of the code will be almost identical. The only major differences are the calculations used for physics and graphics rendering. For this reason you should be able to learn a lot from just about any book that deals with game programming in general, even if the examples used in the book pertain to a 3D game.

For any aspects that are specific to 2D games (such as sprite animation) you should be able to find loads of tutorials on the internet.

Between programming 2D and 3D games, much of the code is the same. The structure of the code will be almost identical. The only major differences are the calculations used for physics and graphics rendering. For this reason you should be able to learn a lot from just about any book that deals with game programming in general, even if the examples used in the book pertain to a 3D game.

For any aspects that are specific to 2D games (such as sprite animation) you should be able to find loads of tutorials on the internet.

I'm sorry @Ludus, I may have incorrectly gave the wrong information. I'm not looking for game development books that involve programming. I am looking for books that contain designing levels, learning about creating map segments, level size, Etc. I already have enough information with programming to last for years. I am just looking for the design aspect so that the game looks good.

~thanks again for the reply though. It was very helpful.

P.s. There are many tutorial on the internet about this subject, but there aren't many that contain information on in depth things like creating map segments, or painting ambient lighting (and yes I know about programming light on a per pixel basis). These are just examples, but most books I've found focus on designing for 3D games.

Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by "designing levels"? Do you mean the creative aspect of it (coming up with ideas for environments, obstacles, items, etc.) or how to implement a level into code?

Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by "designing levels"? Do you mean the creative aspect of it (coming up with ideas for environments, obstacles, items, etc.) or how to implement a level into code?

The creative aspect of it.

In that case, the best way to study level design is to simply study games themselves. Take a few games which are close to what you're aiming for (and are executed very well) and really analyze them in-depth. Learn how all of the elements of the game fit together and how they interact with each other and the player (enemies, obstacles, power-ups, etc.)

Also, try to figure out the overall layout of a level and where each element has been placed - and more importantly, why they have been placed where they are. A great resource for this are player's guides which contain layouts of entire levels, allowing you to see the big picture of how everything fits together. You mentioned Muramasa: The Demon Blade, I recommend looking at Dust: An Elysian Tail as it is very similar to Muramasa in terms of gameplay and even art style.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement