• Create Account

itch.io - indie game hosting

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 leafo   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hello everyone.

I released a a site about two weeks ago and I'm trying to spread it around. It's called itch.io:

http://itch.io

What I've created is an indie game marketplace/hosting site. It's really similar to Bandcamp if you've ever heard of that, except for games. Essentially it lets you upload your game, design a page for the game, then optionally set a minimum price on it. The game pages you create are entirely devoted to your game, and the theme editor is pretty flexible so you can make some pretty fancy pages. You can see an example page I put together for one of my ludum dare games here: http://leafo.itch.io/x-moon. There's is no branding for itch.io on the page except for a tiny link on the bottom. I really wanted to focus on making the game the most important thing, so there is no random crap on the game pages.

The site hosts files and screenshots for you. I store it on Google Cloud Storage, so the downloads are fast and reliable. The payment system is PayPal for the time being. I take a 10% cut of all transactions as a fee for hosting (still trying to figure out this number). Adding a price to your game is completely optional, if you never link a PayPal email address then people can download your game for free.

I also just recently added analytics to the game pages. I track downloads and visits to game pages and show a nice graph.

Anway, I worked pretty hard on this. I think a pay-what-you-want model is a pretty powerful idea for indie games, so it would mean a lot me if you could check it out. I'm still actively developing it so I'd love any feedback or feature requests. Thanks!

Also I have a development blog here: http://leafo.tumblr.com

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 15026

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Your Lua -> Moonscript -> Google Cloud host -> Lapis framework seems really cool, and the website itself is also nice.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#3 leafo   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Your Lua -> Moonscript -> Google Cloud host -> Lapis framework seems really cool, and the website itself is also nice.

Thanks :) I'll be formally releasing the web framework (and documentation) soon.

#4 pinaster   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

that's a great idea, similar to the humble store, but I don't think it's open to everyone.

#5 legend911   Members   -  Reputation: 114

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

This is interesting, would like to see this get somewhere.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS