• Create Account

Toolbar in C++ and OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 JMinator31   Members   -  Reputation: 233

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

I am making a 3D app in OpenGL. It just loads some textured primitives and moves around the scene. But it's purpose isn't important. I recently added a toolbar to the app, and when the app starts, the toolbar flashes for a split second and then disappears, but it still maintains all of it's functionality (if you click where one of the buttons should be, it will execute the function accordingly). I need to know how I can fix this.

Sponsor:

#2 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1596

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Are you redrawing the toolbar every frame? Remember that once you swap the buffers the contents of the framebuffer are undefined and you're supposed to redraw everything.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#3 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

A little offtopic, but are you making a toolbar because you need one, or because you want to learn to hand-code one? Is it to be used by the player, or is it for development purposes?

Hand-coding UI becomes a huge time sink the moment you need more than a few simple buttons. If you just need the functionality, it would be a good idea to use a solid existing UI toolkit.

#4 JMinator31   Members   -  Reputation: 233

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS