• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

'not a valid Win32 application'

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1288

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I've recently tried some programs I wrote in DirectX on Windows 7 on two older WIndows XP PCs and both have given me the message '<application>.exe is not a valid Win32 program". Is this a problem with my coding, or is it that I don't have the right redistributable stuff installed on the XP computers? Is there a reason why this would happen, given that it certainly IS a Win32 program, and it runs fine on my Win7 PC?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5282

1Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Have you ever used the tool called "Depends.exe"?  It can tell you what libraries your application depends on, and can help you resolve these types of questions.

#3 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1288

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, I haven't seen that. I ran it and it seems that my application doesn't depend on anything that shouldn't be present in XP. It is dependent on some .DLLs such as the ones I'm using for my sound engine (and DirectX itself, of course), but I don't think they would produce a 'not a valid Win32 application' message - probably just a 'XXX.DLL wasn't found' or similar.

I've been looking around a bit and it seems that VS2012 compiled programs won't work on XP anyway (people have been getting the same message as me and it's because of the compiler). Perhaps I should try and recompile in VS2008 instead...

#4 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5282

1Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Actually there is an update to VS2012 that allows compiling for WinXP.  I think it is a different compiler toolchain setting if I recall correctly....

#5 george7378   Members   -  Reputation: 1288

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Oh, OK - for now I just set the Platform Toolset to VS2008 mode - I guess that should work too?

#6 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5282

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

To be honest, I haven't tried it out - I don't have any XP machines anymore... :(

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS