• Create Account

Setting Scale in First Person View

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Hi guys,

How can I set the scale of my first person world ? I want to keep the map/objects in world coordinates and have it be 1:4, meaning a 1x1 floor tile in world coordinates would be 4 feet by 4 feet. When I make a hallway that's one tile wide (equivalent to 4 feet) it's really narrow and looks like maybe 1-2 feet, I can barely go down it. How do I take into account the size of my 'guy' ? All I can set is his eye (camera) height. Also, for a normal person should I keep the perspective set to pi/4.0f ? Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 MichaelNIII   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

To force it to be 4 feet i would first have to define how many points big a foot is. Then figure out how many points big 1 tile is. After that I would change the scale of my world matrix to (PointsPerFoot*4)/PointsPerTile. As for your perspective question that depends on you. I think I can clearly see 90 degrees (pi/4), however if I had a huge tv, I would enjoy a higher fov because hey, who doesn't like seeing more stuff? This msdn article on setting up your perspective is pretty detailed without going overboard. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205350(v=vs.85).aspx

#3 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I can't get it to work. If I set the world coordinates to be 1 unit = 48 inches (4 feet) and set the camera to a height of 1.33 world units (64 inches=average eye height of person) I can't go down a 4 foot wide (1.0 world units) corridor without the view cutting through the walls on the left and right. I hope I'm explaining that correctly. Thanks.

#4 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2456

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

you probably want to adjust the near and far plane values smaller so that it doesnt cut the walls.

So make near plane as big as possible without making it cut, then far plane as small as possible without far away stuff getting cut away.

o3o

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS