• Create Account

Javascript tile based layered game maps information

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom_Burman   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi Guys

Im building a 2D tile-based game using html5 canvas and JavaScript. It's an RPG and i plan on having large "wilderness" style maps for my levels.

Now what im looking for is a bit more information on how layers work with 2d tile maps to give a 3d like effect e.g. players can walk behind trees etc.

I would like to know:

• What kind of layers are there? i know theres forground and background, but what others might be useful?

• How many layers should i ideally have for my game?

• What is a basic way to implement a system to read and display layered tile maps in javascript?

• Are there any tutorials/guides/articles that could help me understand and also code this system?

Thanks very much guys, any help will be appreciated

Tom

Sponsor:

#2 EmployeeNumber8   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

There are a few frameworks out there to handle this. Google html5 isometric game engine

or are you looking to create your own?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS