• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

What version of JDK (Java Development Kit) to get?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 TropicMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm about to install the JDK, but I'm not sure which version I'm supposed to get Windowsx86 or Windowsx64. I'm running Windows OS but I don't know what the x86 and x64 means. Here is a link to the download:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7-netbeans-download-432126.html

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6323

1Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

x86 = 32bit, x64 = 64 bit.

x86 will work for you, x64 might perform better on a 64 bit OS
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2133

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

For 99% of use-cases, the x86 version is the right choice. install and use the x64 version only if you need the usage of a 64-bit browser or a stack that allow you to allocate more then 2 GB or ram per process.

"Software does not run in a magical fairy aether powered by the fevered dreams of CS PhDs"

#4 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2779

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

For 99% of use-cases, the x86 version is the right choice. install and use the x64 version only if you need the usage of a 64-bit browser or a stack that allow you to allocate more then 2 GB or ram per process.

The latter is actually a common and important need, for example with Eclipse and huge code bases. I strongly recommend the 64 bit Java SE SDK, without the browser plugin.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#5 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5792

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Also, you can install both.  You can also point Eclipse to which JDK you want to use.  In fact, this is a common annoying bug with Eclipse where you *HAVE* to point Eclipse to the JDK you want to use, as for some stupid reason, it uses your JRE instead.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS