New Dubstep/Electronic Track

Started by
6 comments, last by Olliepm 10 years, 10 months ago

I've done a completely new mix of my first track. Any suggestions for improvement in future are appreciated =] https://soundcloud.com/echo-gecko/harlot-new-mix

Advertisement

Just put my comment on the page.

Python Blue - composer available for work

Official Website
Bandcamp

I don't seem to have any new comments, but thank you for listening!

I clicked your link and suddenly remembered that I'm not very fond of Dubstep. However I still istened to it and I really liked the part that kicks in around 1:00. In an overall composer perspective, I think there's a lot of talent here. Hope you're in other genres as well.

Rune Hansen

Developer

10ahead Games

www.10aheadgames.com

Whilst the dub production isn't too bad, I feel like the drop parts seem really repetitive like they're about to go somewhere and then it feels restrained. I was hoping to hear more of a melodic progression.

Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

I'm not an expert (or huge fan) of dub step myself so take my comments with a grain of salt:

1) Some really cool harmonies going on - really dug that!

2) I felt the low end hits could have a bit more impact/power. Some of the dub step I have listened to really hit you hard with those powerful kicks. Your mix was missing that power.

3) I appreciated how you broke up the rhythms in spots but felt a few more extreme breakdowns/changes in rhythm could make it more iconic of the genre. In other words, it felt like your track stayed pretty safe.

Overall, I enjoyed it!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

A bit of side-chained compression on your bass parts against the bass drum will help the bass drum thump a bit more and also add some "wob" to your bass. There are sort of like 2 bass parts playing, it'd be cool to separate them a bit so you can hear the wobbly bit on its own a bit more. It's nice though, it doesn't get too squealy for me, i'm not like the biggest fan myself of dub step.

I think there's a lot of talent here. Hope you're in other genres as well.

Thanks, that means a lot! I used to write (and may start again) music for a band that played technical metal, but that band never gigged or anything. I really loved what I was writing, because it seemed pretty unique, It had a lot of positive melodic energy for something labelled 'metal'. Making dubsteppy songs is my way of filling that void, but musically, other genres are where my heart be :) I'm always on the look out for a drummer that can keep up!

I was hoping to hear more of a melodic progression.

Sorry to disappoint! I will keep this in mind with my next one. I don't like it much now anyway.

I felt the low end hits could have a bit more impact/power.

Usually when I'm making dubstep type songs, the punch and bass power is all I think about. This was no exception, but I still haven't managed to get close enough. I'm unsure how much of an effect professional mastering has on the power of a dubstep track, so that could be holding me back. I also only used soft synths in Reason 5 for this track, which lack something, although I don't know what. I just bought a hardware synth, so I should get some real filth out of that.

A bit of side-chained compression on your bass parts against the bass drum will help the bass drum thump a bit more and also add some "wob" to your bass. There are sort of like 2 bass parts playing, it'd be cool to separate them a bit so you can hear the wobbly bit on its own a bit more. It's nice though, it doesn't get too squealy for me, i'm not like the biggest fan myself of dub step.

I actually sidechained EVERYTHING. It's overdone, you can even hear everything duck at the softer parts. I think I know the patch you mean. There's basically a screech, and a wobble. No matter what, I couldn't really separate them as such, but rather one would always mask the other, so I chose to bury the wobble.

This was actually my first dubstep track that I remastered after learning a few things, but the mix was left in a similar condition to the way it was left when I, the noob, made it! I'm moving on from it, onto new things, but thanks for the revival of this thread, and suggestions :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement