• Create Account

Terraforming / Destructible Terrain / Run-Time Terrain Modification

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 WoTGameDev   Members   -  Reputation: 133

1Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Does anyone know any game engines (multiplayer) that support terrain modification (I've seen it called many things). To be specific, I mean a multiplayer game engine that allows you to dig holes / tunnels in the ground or create hills. I'm not looking for something like Minecraft or Wurm Online... more like StarForge or RealmExplorer.

I've done a lot of looking around, but I've not really found anything. To be a little more clear, I dont mean something like APEX Destruction.

Thank you for ANY information on this.

Sponsor:

#2 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8316

1Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think there's a graphics engine that supports marching cubes and hence arbitrary terrain destruction.. C4 engine by Eric Lengyel. An extra feature is it supports LOD without cracks, which is difficult to get right. The author is a member here too smile.png It's a bit expensive though but it's what first popped into my mind when you mentioned fully destructible terrain.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#3 WoTGameDev   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

I read about the C4 engine, but the run-time terrain modification is not planned until a later version in their road map.

#4 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1552

-1Likes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

FWIW, my engine (BGBTech) also uses voxels (and supports destructible terrain), using a tweaked variant of "elastic surface nets" for the voxel terrain, but deliberately keeps more of the shape of the blocky voxel terrain intact mostly because this is a useful visual hint when it comes to navigation and building things, but the smoothing created by the ESN strategy does at least make it look a little more "natural", giving it slightly more of a terraced look in place of the usual blocky look.

however, ESN can also give much smoother looking terrain as well.

however, the engine is still a bit in-development though (not really "mature"), and comes with source, but isn't strictly FOSS though (more like "free for non-commercial use" for now, and otherwise is presently donationware).

Edited by cr88192, 26 March 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#5 WoTGameDev   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

It is surprising to me that a good, solid game engine with terrain modification (RealmExplorer or Starforge) does not exist.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS