• Create Account

Entropia Universe MMO Model

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 nullie   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I was impressed by the enormous and seemingly seamless open worlds in entropia Universe, and i became curious about how they managed to keep such huge game worlds nearly completely lag-free despite having plenty of active players and only one visible server for each planet.

Does anyone have any idea how they do it?

~Nullie

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5067

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

I know that they do a lot of movement client-side -- when they launched, I tried playing it, and it took many minutes for their client to realize that the servers had gone down, and meanwhile, I was running around the world just fine :-) That was a long time ago, but I doubt they changed much since then.

A "visible server" is only a place (IP+port) where you send your packets. That could easily be a load-balancer, or a gateway, or perhaps some good hardware that just doesn't have to work hard because most real-time information is client-only.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 nullie   Members   -  Reputation: 189

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

would you have any suggestions on how i could accomplish a similar system, without purchasing thousand dollar servers and hardware?
note, im not planning on making an MMO game, just a multiplayer game that caters to a limit of 32 people at a time, while keeping a persistent and large open world.

~Nullie

#4 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5067

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

For 32 players, you need to be able to load/unload parts of the world on demand in a streaming fashion, but otherwise you can do that with brute force. That can be dealt with on an EC2 micro instance, which you get for a year for free when you sign up at aws.amazon.com. Forward mutual updates for players that are within a kilometer of each other, or something. The main problem will be in building a large scale world -- that's a lot of assets! That, and asynchronous loading of bits of the world as they become "important" to the simulation.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS